Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Summer Update + UI Status

Species
    bunny
    This
    This'd 7 Times in 4 Posts

Default Re: Summer Update + UI Status

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    I really gotta agree with you on this one, but as always, we'll get used to it, and get over it, continue using the site, who are we to complain when it would literally do nothing to affect their progress?

All I gotta say to dragoneer is to get a mobile design for FA as well :3
    Yes a mobile design would be REALLY handy, I don't quite like the new UI... but as my girlfriend said, we'd get used to it, it happened to DA, it happens every month with youtube, we complain and whine, but afterwards we just shut up and deal with it. I don't quite think this ui update is needed though, if anything Neer should fix all the security issues, as said countless times already in this thread.

You Have Taken the Lead gatorguts's Avatar
    Species
    Dragoroo
    This
    This'd 75 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    I really gotta agree with you on this one, but as always, we'll get used to it, and get over it, continue using the site, who are we to complain when it would literally do nothing to affect their progress?

All I gotta say to dragoneer is to get a mobile design for FA as well :3

I remember months back something being said about a mobile UI in the works (or being planned?), but it was never brought up again.
    ATM, I think FA has enough problems then to worry about a mobile UI -- though it would be neat.

Banned You Have Taken the Lead
    This
    This'd 168 Times in 74 Posts

If you were accessing FA on a mobile device, doesn't that mean you'd be accessing it... in public?

how embarassing

Banned 2,500 Club
    This
    This'd 249 Times in 71 Posts

Mobile should be pretty much the lowest priority. There are hundreds of better things for FA to devote resources to. Most phones have real browsers now; use them.

Necromancer Alpha Wolf LolitaOfTheVoid's Avatar
    Species
    Jackal
    This
    This'd 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm not sure if someone's asked this already or not, but with the new coding will stories have a better layout? It's really frustrating with the current system, where it will mangle your punctuation or spacing if you don't save it as just the right type of .txt file.
    I have devoured souls; I have slaughtered Gods. I have raised an army of corpses that feels no pain, no remorse, no weakness. And still, I hunger for more power.

Post Crusader
    This
    This'd 65 Times in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LolitaOfTheVoid View Post
    I'm not sure if someone's asked this already or not, but with the new coding will stories have a better layout? It's really frustrating with the current system, where it will mangle your punctuation or spacing if you don't save it as just the right type of .txt file.
    Do you have an example perchance?
    I break things! - Network Engineer - Security - Digital Radio - http://kayfox.org/

The Smart Idiot Broke the 10K Barrier
    Still Hasn't Seen the Sun
    Species
    Hybrid
    This
    This'd 470 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kayfox View Post
    Well look at this story
    http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6108985/
    notice all those Question marks inside Diamonds

Species
    Fox
    This
    This'd 173 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crysix Fousen View Post
    Well look at this story
    http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6108985/
    notice all those Question marks inside Diamonds
    An easy temporary fix for that is to right-click on the browsing screen, go to encoding, and select Western Europe (Windows). Works almost every time for me.

Though it would be nice if eventually that wasn't necessary.

Species
    Fox
    This

Personally, I like the style.
    It's kinda a mix of DA sorta. But not to much to give it the look.
    To me, I see this as the current FA UI is like a beta of FA. This UI will define FA as it should be.

I do believe, however, that people replying about security should be told something. (If you have sorry, I haven't had much time to go around the forms) Just not giving any specific details on what is being used.

I'd also very much like (as I saw in one of the replys) if you could make the General, Mature, and Adult be able to properly view [Guests: General/Users: General, Mature (Optional)/Users Adult: General/ Mature (Optional)/ Adult (Optional)]

When would all of us be able to see some kind of Beta UI? Or is this going to happen overnight in one go and that's it? (Just to add on, will there be any better colors as to a theme? Like instead of having "Light" and "Dark" maybe mixing it up and having White and Orange, Green and Brown, Ect.? Or would that be something as a future add-on?)
    <a href=http://www.zazzle.com/foxxel target=_blank>http://www.zazzle.com/foxxel</a>

This
    This'd 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eevee View Post
    It seems kind of strange to help you delete large chunks of the site's content more efficiently.

Why do you care if you have old, bad art up? Do you have fans under the impression that you were born as skilled as you are now?

Open source programming doesn't even offer the choice; old bad code is preserved forever. You'll live. >:T
    Some of it has my RL name on it, some of it is embarrassing photos, some of it are things that have about 10 views, no comments, and no faves- no one will miss them, especially with 1200+ submissions. :P Why I want to delete my stuff is my own perogative.

11. The Following User agrees with Growly's Post:

This

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    ...You do have a back button, don't you? I don't like FA as much as anyone else, but there's a pretty clear logical gap here.
    It wasn't meant to be done that way, it should be in the interface to stay on page __ of the deletion screen after deleting a submission.
    Back button works okay, but of course it doesn't refresh the display.

Some of my submissions are so far back it feels like I'm clicking forever.
    What I really really want is for each page to have a "Delete this image" button, next to Change submission file. So that way I can use FA's search to find exactly the images I want (or be reminded of them when people fave them out of the blue), then go to that page and just clic the handy delete button.
    It would also be spiffy cool if there was an alternate view to view all submissions then use check boxes to mass delete things instantly.

Lurking in Castle Moats The 5,000 Club Trpdwarf's Avatar
    Species
    Lung (dragon)
    This
    This'd 1,154 Times in 597 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Growly View Post
    It wasn't meant to be done that way, it should be in the interface to stay on page __ of the deletion screen after deleting a submission.
    Back button works okay, but of course it doesn't refresh the display.

Some of my submissions are so far back it feels like I'm clicking forever.
    What I really really want is for each page to have a "Delete this image" button, next to Change submission file. So that way I can use FA's search to find exactly the images I want (or be reminded of them when people fave them out of the blue), then go to that page and just clic the handy delete button.
    It would also be spiffy cool if there was an alternate view to view all submissions then use check boxes to mass delete things instantly.
    Having a delete this "Next to the image" might turn into a headache for people who might accidentally click that instead of the picture or something. If it could have a prompt to say "Are you sure" than that would be spiffy. Then you can't accidentally delete an image.
    ~The train is coming with its shiny cars,
    Comfy seats and wheels of stars,
    So, my little ones, have no fear,
    The man in the moon is the engineer~

14. The Following User agrees with Trpdwarf's Post:

Play from your ****ing HEART Broke the 10K Barrier
    Still Hasn't Seen the Sun
    Species
    Fennec
    This
    This'd 4,506 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trpdwarf View Post
    Having a delete this "Next to the image" might turn into a headache for people who might accidentally click that instead of the picture or something. If it could have a prompt to say "Are you sure" than that would be spiffy. Then you can't accidentally delete an image.
    Heck, if we ever get an ambitious coding team for FA, we could get mass submission actions from the gallery view - check x number of submissions and then press 'delete' (or 'move' if folders are ever coded), just like journal notifications.
    Last.fm | FA

Quote Originally Posted by aMGee View Post
    Die the motherfucker admins! DIE DRAGONEER! DAMNED THE FURAFFINITY!!!
    <Azure> I <L3 u addens

Necromancer Alpha Wolf LolitaOfTheVoid's Avatar
    Species
    Jackal
    This

Quote Originally Posted by kayfox View Post
    As a matter of fact, I have several.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6096466

That story was written centered, due to it's journal-like formatting, and even saving it with the correct encoding and options selected via word (*allow character substitution*) it looks like a hot mess. Some of the line breaks didn't even translate, though they are there in the original file.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5183159

That is a story of my husband's, in which all of his indentation and line breaks didn't come through, though, as stated above, they ARE there in the original file.

It does the same thing for every part of his novel he's uploaded.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5401013

Also, as someone else mentioned, it'll just show diamonds or boxes for punctuation if you didn't save your file as JUST the right type- the only one I've found to work is Microsoft 2007 .txt with the allow character substitution box checked. Even then it misses some once in a while.
    I have devoured souls; I have slaughtered Gods. I have raised an army of corpses that feels no pain, no remorse, no weakness. And still, I hunger for more power.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Trpdwarf View Post
    But of course. A delete button without a confirmation dialog box would be horrible!

Mageknight Werewolf Ninja Werewolfhero's Avatar
    Species
    Werewolf
    This
    This'd 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eevee View Post
    Mobile should be pretty much the lowest priority. There are hundreds of better things for FA to devote resources to. Most phones have real browsers now; use them.
    My phone doesnt have that. (Only has a prepaid tracphone, not that its any of your business) and I use my psp 1001 to access the net during lunch breaks at work to check messages (and psp 1001 only has 32mb ram which results in alot of not enough memory errors)

So thats why a mobile UI would be good. But I agree I'd rather have the folder systems and such implemented first.

Call me Minka =] Post Crusader Kiszka's Avatar
    Species
    Ferret
    This
    This'd 7 Times in 6 Posts

Okay, I'm just going to say that I approve of the changes.

Secondly, you can't please everyone. If everyone wants to have a stick up their butt about the site finally getting an overhaul, then they can just go make their own. (Which obviously ain't going to happen.) I honestly wouldn't put TOO much thought into every single person who comes on here and whines about how such and such isn't perfect. No one is forcing you to stay here, if you hate it, Leave.

Enthusiastic Downloader Post Crusader Accountability's Avatar
    This
    This'd 346 Times in 118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiszka View Post
    Secondly, you can't please everyone. If everyone wants to have a stick up their butt about the site finally getting an overhaul, then they can just go make their own. (Which obviously ain't going to happen.)
    Woah, woah.

Stop.

Stop right there.

You are aware there are at least two active projects to create a new furry art gallery in progress right now by a number of people that have been campaigning for FA to overhaul their code, right? And if you do know this, and you're implying Eevee and Pi and them are obviously not making their own because they're not 100% done yet, then you probably don't understand why we're here today.
    Last edited by Accountability; 07-16-2011 at 01:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by net-cat (2/27/2009) View Post
    FA is hardly the NSA, but we don't ignore security concerns.

Call me Minka =] Post Crusader Kiszka's Avatar
    Species
    Ferret
    This
    This'd 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Accountability View Post
    Woah, woah.

Stop.

Stop right there.

You are aware there are at least two active projects to create a new furry art gallery in progress right now by a number of people that have been campaigning for FA to overhaul their code, right? And if you do know this, and you're implying Eevee and Pi and them are obviously not making their own because they're not 100% done yet, then you probably don't understand why we're here today.
    You missed the part where I said 'Everyone'. Two people making new sites.. whoop-dee-freaking-doo. That would have happened anyways, and IF they are making them exclusively BECAUSE they hate FA so much.. they probably need to get a life.
    Also, if new sites going up meant the downfall of FA, then that would have happened forever ago. People whine and bitch, but guess what? The majority of them don't leave. You want to know how I know? deviantArt.

Unicorn and Rainbow Collector Post Crusader DragonTalon's Avatar
    Species
    Dragon
    This
    This'd 47 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneer View Post
    I'd like to see us implement a "disable color tag" option in the Control Panel. Some people use colors nicely. Some people vomit colors. Personally, I am not a fan of people who abuse colors to the point it looks like a clown was stabbed and left to die on their page*. Rainbow is not an appealing palette choice.
    Two suggestions here. One, I like colors.. I used to use them so my links were a different color than bold. Thats broken now, but I hope it will be fixed with the update. If I put a link in I want it to be clear it's a link. It was nice to be able to make a nice underlined, blue link like web pages used to use. XD

The second.... letting people pick site themes is good. Letting people pick text colors for profiles and such is good.

Both together is bad. Very bad! Because no matter what color I might use to highlight or emphasize something, at least half the site will see it as unreadable. Part of what makes FA look unprofessional is profiles designed for a scheme I am not using. Walls of text I can't read because it matched the background color.

It would be nice if the site picked a readable, but SINGLE theme. My opinion anyway.
    Stories (mine) and art (others) at My FA Page.

No faith for this site Forum Legend
    Species
    Disputed
    This
    This'd 182 Times in 104 Posts

This just in, you can plaster "I AM GAY" with the rainbow spectrum. Though last I checked, you can already do that.

On a more serious note, I'm confused to what we're discussing when it comes to viewing "schemes".
    Are we talking about A) people choosing a viewable format of their preference to navigate the site or B) fancier ways to make your page look?
    If you chose A, I don't think many people would complain about having different "skins" to view the site in(since the current layout can be a viewable skin)
    If you chose B, you can refer to my less serious note.

PS: B&W should be a viewable skin.

Mageknight Werewolf Ninja Werewolfhero's Avatar
    Species
    Werewolf
    This
    This'd 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devious Bane View Post
    This just in, you can plaster "I AM GAY" with the rainbow spectrum. Though last I checked, you can already do that.

On a more serious note, I'm confused to what we're discussing when it comes to viewing "schemes".
    Are we talking about A) people choosing a viewable format of their preference to navigate the site or B) fancier ways to make your page look?
    If you chose A, I don't think many people would complain about having different "skins" to view the site in(since the current layout can be a viewable skin)
    If you chose B, you can refer to my less serious note.

PS: B&W should be a viewable skin.
    Agreed because I kinda prefer darker color themes (skins) with light text because they're easier on my eyes to read. Then you have others who prefer the opposite (nearly stark white color themes with plain black text). Giving members the option to chose between the two makes it easier for both sides.

Lather, Rinz, Repeat Post Crusader Rinz's Avatar
    Species
    fennecoon
    This
    This'd 44 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolfhero View Post
    Agreed because I kinda prefer darker color themes (skins) with light text because they're easier on my eyes to read. Then you have others who prefer the opposite (nearly stark white color themes with plain black text). Giving members the option to chose between the two makes it easier for both sides.
    On top of making things easier to read, it also helps me in viewing artwork. The light color scheme messes with the colors too much and either makes them look darker than they're supposed to be, or it just makes my eyes hurt trying to look at them at all.

26. The Following User agrees with Rinz's Post:

No faith for this site Forum Legend
    Species
    Disputed
    This
    This'd 182 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rinz View Post
    On top of making things easier to read, it also helps me in viewing artwork. The light color scheme messes with the colors too much and either makes them look darker than they're supposed to be, or it just makes my eyes hurt trying to look at them at all.
    Certain colors and lighting causes one's eyes to involuntarily vibrate, inducing headaches and obscured vision. This affects some people more than others, but I certainly wouldn't want to check my updates on FA and get blinded by a screen that is mostly white or red.

Species
    Norn
    This
    This'd 10 Times in 8 Posts

"Your screen made my eyeballs vibrate!"

That sounds pretty cool, actually.

Thread Information