REVISIONS to this AUP draft are highlighted in RED.
Another round of AUP updates! In this edition of the AUP, we have relaxed some restrictions on some existing rules. The main purpose of this AUP update was for clarity purposes - to make the AUP easier to read and digest. I contacted about 60-70 people at random when drafting this policy, and did some extensive feedback when drafting this AUP. Many of the changes have come from fellow users to help improve clarity and/or better word our policies. I asked the users what they felt didn't make sense, wasn't clear or could be written better.
Brief run-down of changes:
- Redundancy Redundancy - Reduced redundancy where possible (e.g. removed two "Standards of Quality", one by itself, one from photos) and improved wording and clarity and many other policies.
- Added - Video section (users can now post a 'placeholder' image and link to offsite content so long as the material adheres to FA rules)
- Added - "Blank/Text Based Visual Submissions" policy to help reduce spam.
- Revised - Pretty much re-wrote the Flooding policy. It was somewhat unneccesary as it was previously written.
- Revised - Clothing section. Should be more clear and to the point regarding what's allowed/not allowed.
- Revised - Screenshot and Generator sections was almost entirely re-written.
- Revised - Revised 3D/Retexturing section in an attempt to make it more clear.
- Revised - Memes and Photo Edits was re-written to be more clear as to what they cover.
- Revisied - "Video" has now become "Animation and Video", and has been completely re-written.
- Fixed (Jan 26, 2012) - The sculptures policy contained a self-contradicting loophole. It has been fixed! See link for changes.
- Fixed (Jan 26, 2012) - The policy on keywords really didn't make sense. It has been updated and revised to be more clear. See link for changes.
Acceptable Upload Policy
Last Update: January 19, 2012
The By You/For You Policy
1) By You:
"By You" refers to original content created by the poster. If you created it, you may post it, so long as it adheres to all other requirements of the AUP and is done so in full understanding of the Submission Agreement (SA). Joint works or collaborative efforts must cite all contributors. Derivative work must cite the original source and provide due credit.
2) For You:
"For You" permits users to repost work created exclusively for them ONLY when the original artist has granted permission to do so. Credit must be attributed to the original artist(s). The original artist reserves rights to revoke permission at any time or any reason.
Tracing and Plagiarism
FA respects the work of artists and content creators. Tracing and plagiarism are not permitted on FA, and images confirmed to be traced or plagiarized will be removed from the site without warning. First offenders will receive a one time warning, in addition to a suspension and a potential gallery wipe. A second offense will result in a permanent suspension.
All images must be rated and categorized appropriately based on content.
- General - Suitable for all ages.
- Mature - Offensive content or mature themes. Mature work may involve or depict nudity in an artistic, non-sexual manner, blood and/or violence or non-explicit sexual themes.
- Adult - Explicit sexual themes or adult content.
Keywords must be relevant to the submission. Abusive or misleading keywords are not permitted, and users found abusing the keyword system may have their keywords stripped from their submission(s). Subsequent violations may result in the removal of mislabeled submissions, the user's submissions being blocked from appearing in the search engine, or both.
The Scraps Folder
The "Scraps" folder exists to provide users a place to store images that are in progress, are unfinished, or that the user feels are not "gallery-worthy". It IS NOT for images which violate the AUP, and submissions in the Scraps folder must abide by all AUP restrictions.
Standards of Quality
FA does not judge submissions based on artistic merit. However, we do have baseline quality guidelines to help improve the overall acceptability of images on the site. We do not permit images or photographs which are out of focus, grainy, blurry, skewed (e.g. rotated 90 degrees), washed-out, poorly lit or otherwise hard to see. Exceptions are made on case-by-case basis wherein certain effects and techniques are deemed to be used with artistic merit (e.g. simulating aged photography, exposure).
Images which contain rapidly flashing color or animation will be removed.
Thumbnails must reflect the images they represent, and may not intentionally mislead users. Thumbnails may not contain imagery from artists other than the poster, unless the submissions are stories, poetry, and/or music, and only with the following restrictions: (1) the user has requested and obtained permission from the source, or (2) the source is in the public domain.
Submissions intended to harass, slander, or otherwise disrupt other users' usage of the site will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, content which is racist, bigoted, or otherwise offensive towards any particular sexuality, philosophy, or religion. Submissions in which a user's character(s) are used without their permission may be viewed as harassment, and will be handled on an individual basis.
Flooding is not permitted on FA. Users are free to upload as much content as they want to the site so long as the material uploaded is original, unique content, and adheres to all rules outlined by the site. No more than three (3) variations of the same image or object may be uploaded. We encourage users to compile multiple images/photos into a collage when possible.
Minors in Sexual Situations
FA does not permit any material involving minors (real or otherwise) under the legal age (18 involved in mature situations. Submissions containing minors must be suitable for all ages, and they must be correctly rated as General. This applies to humans (Loli, Shota) and anthropomorphic characters alike. Submissions containing characters of questionable or indeterminable age will be up to the discretion of the administration.
Photography is a valued form of artistic expression and is welcomed on FA provided it adheres to the following criteria:
Photographic work must be suitable for all ages, and submissions may not be rated higher than General. Photography involving mature or adult situations or illicit activity are not allowed. This includes images containing nudity, sex toys, sexually modified plushies or fursuits (where modifications are visible or obvious), gore (blood, wounds, death) or alluding to illegal activity. Uploading adult or pornographic photography may result in an automatic suspension.
- Animal/Pet Photos - Animal/pet photographs may not contain sexually graphic or suggestive content. Images of pets feeding or otherwise preying upon other animals (live or dead) are prohibited.
- Manufactured/Collected Items - Photographs of mass manufactured/commercially available items (which you have not personally developed or created) are not permitted. Items of such nature should be uploaded to the appropriate service (such as Photobucket). This policy includes items such as DVDs, games, toys, guns/weapons, cars, computers, plush/inflatable animals or objects, posters, etc.
Exceptions are made for items which are staged in an artistic, dynamic setting. Such images MUST showcase the photographer's artistic skill, not merely showcase collected items. You may post photographs of commissioned items, or custom paint jobs (model kits, figurines, etc) so long as the title and/or description credits the artist/creator. You may also post pictures of items that are modified and customized to the point of being unique, provided significant work is done to separate them from the original design. In addition, users must link back to a photo of the original design to highlight changes.
- Clothing - All models featured in photography must be appropriately dressed, wearing both top and bottom garments. Underwear, bras or diapers are not considered acceptable articles of clothing. Clothing designed for explicit or implicit sexual themes are prohibited. Costumes, props, masks, jewellery and other worn items are permitted provided they meet the site's General rating (are work safe, rated for all users/ages).
- Sculpture - Sculptures (papier-mâché, clay, sculpey and other 3D physical media) are permitted. Submissions must focus on the sculpture as the sole focal point, with an uncluttered/non-distracting background. Sculptures must be hand-crafted, non-commercial items.
- Self Portraits - Self portraits photographs are allowed provided they meet quality, photo dump/similar content and artistic merit standards. No more than three self portraits are permitted in a single gallery. Photographs that focus solely on a person's random body parts (hands, feet, etc.) do not count as personal photos and are prohibited from upload.
- Conventions & Fursuits - Images of conventions and/or fursuits are allowed provided they meet quality, photo dump/similar content, and artistic merit standards.
- Minors - Images of minors under the age of 13 may NOT be uploaded unless A) the minor is in the background or is part of a group taken in a public location (and the minor may NOT be the sole focus of the image) or B) the image is posted by the subject's parent/guardian. Users that are 13 to 18 years of age are considered their own guardians for the sake of posting photographs of themselves as minors.
- Taxidermy - Taxidermy is permitted as long as respect is shown to the creatures involved. Images may not contain blood, gore, or signs of pain and/or trauma.
- Food - Photos of food may only be uploaded if A) all elements of the culinary piece are created by the user, B) the submission abides by the Standards of Quality and Flooding rules, and C) both the culinary creation and photograph exhibit artistic merit. Photos of purchased or common food (candy, sandwiches, drinks, etc) are not permitted. Only dishes that showcase the uploader's culinary skill will be allowed.
Screenshots, Screencaptures and Image Generators
- Screenshots - Screenshots (websites, desktops, applications, games or film) are not permitted unless the poster has designed the screenshot’s content completely. Any screenshots must be complete, original designs and may use no copyrighted material. Further, the screenshot must not include portions of the computer or browser interface.
- Image & Character Generators - Submissions created using content generators are prohibited. This includes character creators (in-game character creators, Flash builders) or template/interface generators (error message spoofs, de/motivational posters, card game templates).
- Fractals & Terrain Generators - Fractals and generated terrain are permitted provided they comply with the Flooding policy. Terrains created using in-game level editors are prohibited.
- Sprites - Sprites ripped from games (incl. modified/edited sprites) are prohibited unless they are uploaded as part of a comic (see the Comics policy).
3D Modelling & Texturing
User-created original 3D models are permitted with no limitations.
Users may submit re-textured models provided that the base model is not "stock" (packaged with an editing suite or game). These types of uploads must meet the following requirements:
- Focus: The submission's primary purpose MUST be to showcase the uploader's work. Submissions which focus on work not done by the uploader may be removed. Models which have been customized from the original source are only permitted provided significant work is done to separate them from the original design. In addition, users must link back to the original design to highlight changes.
- Presentation: If the submission is a screenshot from within a 3D editing suite or program such as Second Life, no part of the program's interface may be visible. Models may not be presented in their default pose (e.g. the "T-pose") unless presented as a character reference/design sheet.
- Background: The background of the submission MUST be blank/nondescript or an original design of the uploader's own creation.
- Description: The submission's description MUST include credit to the original creators of all content not made by the uploader, as well as a summary of the work the uploader did to customize the model.
Memes and Photo Edits
Memes are permitted provided the meme contains complete, original content (artwork, text, photography). "Add your own caption", "fill in the blank" or memes requiring copy/pasting of pre-existing work are prohibited, and will be removed. For the purpose of memes, stick figures are not considered "original content".
Further, photo edits or modifications of pre-existing images (cut-and-pastes, re-colorizations, etc.) are not permitted.
Blank/Text Based Visual Submissions
Submissions containing basic text or are otherwise void of visual content will be removed. Text should be submit as writing. Exceptions are currently made for people linking to streaming sites until the site can provide a proper solution to those needs.
Comic image submissions may contain generated art (screenshots, sprites) provided they contain story-driven elements and are presented in a comic-strip- or comic-book-like multi-panel format (otherwise distinguishing them apart from regular screenshots).
Animation & Video
FA does not permit live-action video to be uploaded to the site. We encourage users to seek alternative sites (such as YouTube) to fulfill those needs. Users may, however, upload still shots of their video as a submission and link to their off-site footage in the description provided the still imagery adheres to all guidelines set forth by the AUP.
Animated .gif or .png photo sequences, 2D/3D rendered or Flash animation may be uploaded provided that the submissions are comprised of user created material, and any photographic, drawn or rendered must adhere content adheres to all other policies in the AUP. Any live action shot within animation must follow the guidelines set forth in the photography section.
Music and Audio
Users may post music/audio provided that the following criteria are met:
Audio should be clear with normalized audio levels. Aggressively loud, high-pitched or distorted audio may be removed.
- Commercial Content - Commercial audio tracks may not be uploaded to the site unless the uploading user is the copyright holder and is the original performing artist.
- Covers and Voice Overs - Cover versions of other recording artists' songs are allowed provided the instrumentation, vocals, etc. are performed/recorded by the uploader or a ensemble to which the uploader belongs. Voice overs/audio tracks are permitted provided the music portion is A) public domain or B) intended for voice over/vocal work (e.g. Karaoke mixes).
- Adult Content - Uploads may not contain realistic depictions of sex or obscene audio (vomiting, bowel movements, etc.) unless it is part of a narrative or song.
- Remixes - Remixes must contain significant work to distinguish themselves from the original content. "Significant work" is determined by the proximity to the original song (e.g. changing equalization/pitch or applying DJ-style effects is NOT considered "significant work"). The work must strive to create something new and original. The uploader must give due credit to the original creators of any non-original songs or samples used.
- Mashups - Mashups, mixes, mixtapes, live sets, and other audio that does not contain significant editing by the user are not permitted. Mashups containing significant editing and post-production work may be deemed a "remix" at the discretion of Fur Affinity and are therefore subject to the AUP's Remixes Policy. This decision is at the sole discretion of FA and its moderators.
- Samples & Soundbites - Portions of copyrighted material of any length may not be used without significant post-production editing, as determined by FA and its moderators.
- Audio in Animation - Commercial audio may be used in animation provided the audio compliments the work. Animation which uses simple, basic animation/loops or slideshows may not use commercial audio in such a way.