Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "If you fly the aussie flag in Australia onAustralia day, you're racist"

Mostly Harmless 2,500 Club Mayfurr's Avatar
    Species
    Apteryx
    This
    This'd 723 Times in 452 Posts

Default Re: "If you fly the aussie flag in Australia onAustralia day, you're racist"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy-Darkshade View Post
    Is what Aussies have been told. I have quite a few Australian friends as well as family over their and I think it's bullshit that thier government doesn;t want them flying their own countries flag on Australia day. It's bullshit like this that makes people blame foreigners and hate foreigners when in truth I don't think stuff bothers immigrants and foreigners as much as the governments say it does.
    You couldn't be more wrong - you've obviously have been misinformed:

The University of Western Australia has released a survey which claims motorists who display the national flag to mark Australia Day celebrations on Thursday are likely be "more racist" than drivers who do not.

Sociologist and anthropologist Professor Farida Fozdar and a team of assistants surveyed 513 people at the Australia Day fireworks on Perth's Swan River foreshore last year to find out whether there was a link between car flag flying and racist attitudes.

Of the 102 people surveyed who attached a flag to their cars on the national holiday, 43 per cent agreed with a statement that the "White Australia" policy - which prevented non-Europeans from migrating to the country until after World War II -- had "saved Australia from many problems experienced by other countries".

Professor Fozdar said only 25 per cent of people who did not fly Australia car flags agreed.
    See? This is a University study of attitudes people already exhibit, not a government edict.
    The opinions expressed in this message are bloody good ones.

Banned Forum Legend
    Species
    Growlithe (Pokemon)
    This
    This'd 137 Times in 77 Posts

Default Re: "If you fly the aussie flag in Australia onAustralia day, you're racist"

That's why you should include sources. Not only does it make more sense now but it shows the OP was just wrong. Wouldn't happen, or would be less likely to happen, with links.

Bike riding squirrel thing. Broke the 10K Barrier
    Still Hasn't Seen the Sun
    Species
    Eastern grey squirrel (Black variant)
    This
    This'd 701 Times in 461 Posts

That survey is bullshit. That's just 102 people, that's not the whole population, it's inaccurate.
    Awkward moment: When a GPS tells a gay man to go straight.

Species
    Dragon
    This
    This'd 419 Times in 244 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toboe Moonclaw View Post
    Saluting the EU flag?
    Singing the EU national anthem?

Did i miss something? Have never seen an EU Flag in front of a building not related to the EU, in think i once read (idly skipping through it) in a school book, that it's based on the "Ode an die Freude" *looks it up* yep it is, just without singing..., i have NEVER heard someone sing an EU anthem (not meant to be nitpicking on the "singing" part, just playing the musik/using it as anthem is meant) or even heard of an EU anthem (excluding the mentioned idle skipping though a school book (subject musiks afaik)). So either a) the whole "cultural unity take-over" is bs, b) they keep German last on the "to take over list" or c) i'm deaf and blind.)
    Going off topic, but just to clarify.

What the EU wants and what is happening are two different things. That's clear when we look at the Euro, which is collapsing; despite their desire for its existence. The creation of the United States of Europe is the long term goal of the European Union, with countries like Germany and France being USA style states. They are even hinting at their own army, composed of people from member states. What started out as a innocent free trade agreement is quickly evolving into a European super state.

So yes, the EU wants people waving their flag and singing a EU national anthem, identifying as European citizens. They've even started... educational programmes to teach children how great the EU is. But of course as stated, the delusions of grandeur of a bunch of EU politicians and reality are often two very different things.

Just for the record. I brought the EU up because trying to push a new artificial identity onto people; and calling them xenophobic if they don't buy into the EU agenda, is related to the subject of being seen as bad for having national pride. It's on topic and not just random EU ramblings on my part. Just in case someone says something in that regard.

Za Rodinu! Broke the 10K Barrier
    Species
    Rifleman
    This
    This'd 5,448 Times in 2,512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ADF View Post
    They've even started... educational programmes to teach children how great the EU is.
    I hate this kind of move in all shapes and forms. Education should never be tainted with propaganda, doesn't matter where it's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRob View Post
    I value my opinions and they're being attacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilmeleon View Post
    I get emotional as I take being a furry seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneer View Post
    What we don't need is yes men. Opinions and ideas of all kinds are are welcomed.

6. The Following 2 Users agree with Gibby's Post:

20 Quatloos on "disruptive" Forum Legend Gryphoneer's Avatar
    Species
    Scrambler
    This
    This'd 271 Times in 157 Posts

The creation of the United States of Europe is the long term goal of the European Union, with countries like Germany and France being USA style states.
    Yes, exactly. Since the early 90s they do everything they can to make incremental steps from a supranational union towards a federation.

They've even started... educational programmes to teach children how great the EU is.
    Invoking Godwin's Law? I don't think the idea of the EU in itself isn't comparable to the Third Reich. Stay classy, Youtube.

Actually, I think a unified state is an awesome idea for it would remove nationalistic barriers over time. Seeing how much the excesses of nationalism fucked up the world in the past this is quite desirable.

STEVE HARVEY = HOMOSEXUAL 2,500 Club HyBroMcYenapants's Avatar
    Species
    Hyena
    This
    This'd 694 Times in 307 Posts

I think it has something to do with Aborigines or something like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Deo View Post
    I don't like potatoes, so according to my parents I would starve in the potatoe famine
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaice View Post
    Get the fucking lovey-dovey couples shit off my submissions list.
    QQ

Species
    Dragon
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphoneer View Post
    snip
    I'd be derailing this thread further if I went into detail about everything you've talked about. I'm just going to say it's not a Godwin's Law when it was the video, not myself, that made reference to the Nazi's. That, and the clip of the women talking about "educating" children to be pro EU speaks for itself. Education isn't supposed to teach children to support ANY specific political ideologies.

20 Quatloos on "disruptive" Forum Legend Gryphoneer's Avatar
    Species
    Scrambler
    This
    This'd 271 Times in 157 Posts

I'm just going to say it's not a Godwin's Law when it was the video, not myself, that made reference to the Nazi's.
    The content of the vid is clearly a reductio ad Hitlerum fallacy, so with going and posting it instead of searching another one that doesn't make ridiculous Hitler-Jugend riffs I would say it has been invoked.

And I would say most schools advocate ideologies. Democracy and "Christian values," anyone?

Gentlecolts... Forum Legend TechnoGypsy's Avatar
    Species
    Purple
    This
    This'd 163 Times in 98 Posts

I'm living in Australia, and I've heard no mention of people told not to display flags. People fly them all the time, wear silly Australian swimwear and hats. If anything it makes them more bogan.
    Tea first, ASK QUESTIONS LATER!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Tides View Post
    Techno can have whoever the fuck he wants
    Profile pic is credit to featherfox2

Species
    Dragon
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphoneer View Post
    The content of the vid is clearly a reductio ad Hitlerum fallacy, so with going and posting it instead of searching another one that doesn't make ridiculous Hitler-Jugend riffs I would say it has been invoked.

And I would say most schools advocate ideologies. Democracy and "Christian values," anyone?
    There was someone on these forums that used to complain at people a lot for linking to videos making arguments; rather than making the arguments themselves. Now you're essentially doing the opposite, favouring the video over the argument; when I was simply referring the clip of the women speaking in it. Here then, the only reason I linked that other video is because it's the one that arrived in my subscriptions inbox.

As for the rest, pushing the EU as a positive thing is not the same as teaching democracy, which is the corner stone of western civilization. I cannot speak for wherever you live, but religious values are not taught in English public schools; and is officially supposed to be kept outside of the education system in America. In England, you'd only find them taught in private religious schools where members of that religion send their kids, it's not something that is universally pushed on everyone.

The EU has no right telling children what to think about them. They openly admit their goal is to mould their opinion on the EU before they encounter the real world.

2,500 Club
    This
    This'd 756 Times in 429 Posts

Thumbs down Re: "If you fly the aussie flag in Australia onAustralia day, you're racist"

We are amused by the amount of butthurt in this thread. Fly your goddamn flags; don't blame immigrants if you have no balls for it.

PS. Gibby is British and Her Majesty's most loyal subject. :3c

2,500 Club
    Species
    Wolf
    This
    This'd 222 Times in 149 Posts

In many countries, flying the flag is unpatriotic.

Flying the Spanish flag in Spain makes you a Francoist.
    Flying the Japanese flag in Japan makes you an ultra-right wing nationalist.
    Flying the Russian flag in Russia makes you support Vladimir Putin and his government.

Depreciate This The 5,000 Club Serbia Strong's Avatar
    Species
    Loan Provider
    This
    This'd 3,176 Times in 1,271 Posts

I fly my DPRK flag with utmost patriotism, and I have only freaked out 2 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commie Bat View Post
    my neighbors love my music so much.........they invited the police to come listen. Again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    THERE IS NO FUCKING TOILET PAPER. ALLAH HAS FORSAKEN US.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Modernly_Classy_Dragon View Post
    On topic: My intellect, because I trust it more then some silly old book written over 2000 years ago.

Terrorist Scum 2,500 Club Brazen's Avatar
    Species
    Troll
    This
    This'd 1,502 Times in 568 Posts

Since this is now a talk about the EU, I recommend all of you google the so-called Red House Report, an intelligence document suggesting that near the end of WWII Nazi Germany came up with the idea of gaining control of Europe via an economic alliance should it fail militarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by TashkentFox View Post
    You know, I would shoot you if I knew where you lived.
    [

Forum Legend
    This
    This'd 389 Times in 188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen Growlithe View Post
    I'm against patriotism but nothing wrong with someone flying their countries flag.
    Honestly, what do you have against patriotism and national pride?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Mike View Post
    I fly my DPRK flag with utmost patriotism, and I have only freaked out 2 people.
    I know what I should do. Soviet flags on the fourth of july in America. I wonder what kind of reactions i'll get? :V

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylWolf View Post
    In many countries, flying the flag is unpatriotic.
    Flying the Russian flag in Russia makes you support Vladimir Putin and his government.
    That is one of the dumbest statements I've heard from you, in a long time; and that's saying a lot. Now honestly, since you don't live there how would you know?

2,500 Club
    This
    This'd 756 Times in 429 Posts

Honestly, what do you have against patriotism and national pride?
    It's obnoxious and should have clear guidelines before applying.

That is one of the dumbest statements I've heard from you, in a long time; and that's saying a lot. Now honestly, since you don't live there how would you know?
    Mr Commie Bat, you work for Papa Putin and the Little Bear.

19. The Following User agrees with Bliss's Post:

Bread and Circuses Forum Legend Don's Avatar
    Species
    Caucasian Jackal
    This
    This'd 223 Times in 90 Posts

I'll fly whatever flag I wish, thank you very much (and I've got quite the collection too). At least here in Canada they allow you to fly any flag without problems, unless of course you decide to fly a swastika or soiled bathrobe.
    It makes sense from the perspective of the average person who only knows Russia through the Western media. Whenever they show anti-Putin protests, the main thing you see is the KPRF flying the Red Rag. I guess it isn't too much of a leap to then surmise that "Russian flag = pro-Putin."
    Last edited by Don; 01-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenke View Post
    The term "metrosexual" is just a myth. It's just homogays expressing their fashion sense while repressing their cock munching fantasies.

numb with cold 2,500 Club Littlerock's Avatar
    Species
    Max Factor's beauty micrometer
    This
    This'd 1,042 Times in 506 Posts

I know what I should do. Soviet flags on the fourth of july in America. I wonder what kind of reactions i'll get? :V
    Depending on how far north you live from Texas, I would suggest wearing copious amounts of Kevlar, no :V needed here.

There is nothing more worth fighting for.

Forum Legend
    This
    This'd 389 Times in 188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    It's obnoxious and should have clear guidelines before applying.

Mr Commie Bat, you work for Papa Putin and the Little Bear.
    Not necessarily. Nationalism is the single most annoying thing.

...and?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'll fly whatever flag I wish, thank you very much (and I've got quite the collection too). At least here in Canada they allow you to fly any flag without problems, unless of course you decide to fly a swastika or soiled bathrobe. It makes sense from the perspective of the average person who only knows Russia through the Western media. Whenever they show anti-Putin protests, the main thing you see is the KPRF flying the Red Rag. I guess it isn't too much of a leap to then surmise that "Russian flag = pro-Putin."
    I collect flags as well. :3

Well most of those protests were an 1/8 the size that western media claimed them to be, honestly it's to be expected from American media. Now regarding the Red Flag, many still and will continue to fly it proudly, it really not that uncommon. Take my grandparents for example.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootfoof View Post
    Depending on how far north you live from Texas, I would suggest wearing copious amounts of Kevlar, no :V needed here.
    Go to college in Indiana. So I think I can handle it.
    Bullets haven't stopped me before. >:V

Another Great Post Forum Legend Antonin Scalia's Avatar
    Species
    Supreme Court Justice
    This
    This'd 563 Times in 259 Posts

And whose fault is it? Foreigners. Too many foreigners come into this country either legally or illegally and cannot stand the culture or its ways of working. If they like their own ideas so much and keep talking about how great it was there, why don't they just go back? Not all foreigners are the same and they actually do respect the country, but ugh, some people.
    good ol' EDL stuff right here

Za Rodinu! Broke the 10K Barrier
    Species
    Rifleman
    This
    This'd 5,448 Times in 2,512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Antonin Scalia View Post
    good ol' EDL stuff right here
    Honestly, I don't mind Islamics coming in here being all Islamic and showing it, but when it threatens to affect the lives of those who'd rather not take part in this culture at all, that shit's not gonna fly. In fact, it doesn't matter what cultures we're talking about, cultural imperialism (if you wanna call it that) just isn't right. Sharing culture is a wonderful thing, but forcing it down the throats of others is not.
    Last edited by Gibby; 01-24-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRob View Post
    I value my opinions and they're being attacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilmeleon View Post
    I get emotional as I take being a furry seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneer View Post
    What we don't need is yes men. Opinions and ideas of all kinds are are welcomed.

Another Great Post Forum Legend Antonin Scalia's Avatar
    Species
    Supreme Court Justice
    This
    This'd 563 Times in 259 Posts

Honestly, I don't mind Islamics coming in here being all Islamic and showing it, but when it threatens to affect the lives of those who'd rather not take part in this culture at all, that shit's not gonna fly. In fact, it doesn't matter what cultures we're talking about, cultural imperialism (if you wanna call it that) just isn't right. Sharing culture is a wonderful thing, but forcing it down the throats of others is not.
    It's always this, yet the bottom line is cultural imperialism is a complete fabrication, a drum beat on by conservatives everywhere when minorities start demanding cool little things like 'civil rights' and 'happiness.' If you see cultural imperialism anywhere, or life threatening CULTURAL CHANGE that's how society works, it reshapes itself constantly, incorporating many cultures. Also you are a racist.

Species
    Dragon
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Antonin Scalia View Post
    It's always this, yet the bottom line is cultural imperialism is a complete fabrication, a drum beat on by conservatives everywhere when minorities start demanding cool little things like 'civil rights' and 'happiness.' If you see cultural imperialism anywhere, or life threatening CULTURAL CHANGE that's how society works, it reshapes itself constantly, incorporating many cultures. Also you are a racist.
    I see state enforced multiculturalism is still going strong.

The EU thought just by taking down boarders that it would be easier to establish the United State of Europe, as the different cultural and ethnic identifies of countries would become fragmented with the free movement of people. Making it easier to impose the artificial identity as a citizen of Europe. Unlucky for them, mostly economic immigration took place; and most people were quite happy to stay at home. The French people mostly remained in France, the English people mostly remained in England and the German people mostly remained in Germany. It's hard to get people to change their identity when they're all huddled together like that, so how to fragment the populations?

Multiculturalism. Training people to become embarrassed of their own national identity, willing to make unlimited accommodations for foreign cultures moving into their own; rather then encouraging integration into the local culture. Your culture is always in the wrong. If the foreign culture doesn't integrate, clearly it's your fault and you have to make even more accommodations so they feel comfortable. A multicultural society is a enlightened society. The more unquestioning tolerance and respect you show towards other cultures, even if they show none back, the more enlightened and civilized you are. Never mind multicultural communities formed just fine on their own, long before the state multiculturalism programme ever started.

And the best part is, anyone who doesn't comply is a racist! No one likes being a racist, so to avoid the label; they are more likely to put aside their concerns and behave as they're told. Just label anyone who even hints at questioning whether unlimited, unregulated immigration into your country is a good idea a racist; and they'll soon stop asking inconvenient questions.

Don't pay attention to the fact that country leaders like David Cameron and Nicolas Sarkozy have themselves stated that state enforced multiculturalism is a failure. Keep the programme rolling, because it's working out fine for the powers behind it. And who needs to spend money on promoting it when people terrified of being considered racist are verbally attacking anyone who doesn't comply to the state multicultural ideals.
    Last edited by ADF; 01-24-2012 at 07:56 PM.

27. The Following User agrees with ADF's Post:

Don

Son of a WHORE! 2,500 Club Lunar's Avatar
    Species
    Estimated Bovine Prophet
    This
    This'd 362 Times in 186 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurdammit View Post
    Fuck I love my dixie flag and anyone who complains about it is a cunt. Research will show you the dixie flag had a host of meanings and racism wasnt one of them :C
    Unfortunately the majority of the country is blinded by the misconceptions and generalizations. I can't do anything I like without being labeled an evil person or a freak. Hell, my own girlfriend considers me a redneck.
    http://forums.furaffinity.net/signaturepics/sigpic46582_6.gif
    ~Sig pic by Ackkal/Ziggy and Kloe, avatar from a ref sheet by Zuckerdachs. Check them out!~
    ~Oral sex: if it doesn't look like a daemon is being exorcised from her body, you're doing it wrong.~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information