Thread: Regarding 3D submissions/stolen artwork

Species
    Equine
    This
    This'd 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Regarding 3D submissions/stolen artwork

There's been something bugging me in FA. I've submitted trouble tickets regarding the issue that just gather dust. Perhaps an admin can explain this to me.

Utilizing programs such as DAZ Studio or Poser, a user can download free assets, models, morphs or textures that they did not create themselves, compose it together, and get away with it. I've pointed out to people who have done this before and simply get an 'I talked to a mod about the issue before and they're fine with it'. Well, I'm here to say this is absolutely not fine.

Here is the 3D Modeling and Art portion of FA's AUP:
    3D Modelling & Texturing
    User-created original 3D models are permitted with no limitations.

Re-textured Models
    Users may submit re-textured models provided that the base model is not "stock" (packaged with an editing suite or game). These types of uploads must meet the following requirements:

1. Focus:
    a. The submission's primary purpose MUST be to showcase the uploader's work. Submissions which focus on work not done by the uploader may be removed.
    b. Models which have been customized from the original source are only permitted provided significant work is done to separate them from the original design.
    c. In addition, users must link back to the original design to highlight changes.

2. Presentation:
    a. If the submission is a screenshot from within a 3D editing suite or program such as Second Life, no part of the program's interface may be visible.
    b. Models may not be presented in their default pose (e.g. the "T-pose") unless presented as a character reference/design sheet.

3. Background:
    a. The background of the submission MUST be blank/nondescript
    b. or an original design of the uploader's own creation.

4. Description:
    a. The submission's description MUST include credit to the original creators of all content not made by the uploader,
    b. as well as a summary of the work the uploader did to customize the model.
    First and formost, under FOCUS (1a) the AUP states that the submission's focus MUST show only the uploader's work. Meaning, if someone were to download a model and put a morph target on it, the only portion they actually did any work with is rigging and posing. Toss rigging out the window; there are many plug-ins that expedite the rigging process. Just as well, I've yet to see anyone credit the original creator of the assets they use. Often enough, they post what items they used, but never the artist or a link to the artist's page. Whether or not it is open source material, the AUP requires that the uploader provides credit to any assets they did not create.

2a and 2b are frequently never a problem and not a part of my grievance. 3a+b, however, states that a user must either have a blank screen or content generated by the uploader. Very often with Poser/DAZ, the uploader will create a scene utilizing many, if not all, assets that are not their own.

Finally, under 4a+b in the AUP, as I stated two paragraphs ago, I never have seen someone post the source of any assets they used in a scene they create in Poser. All of these frequent violations in art uploaded on FA make those, like myself, who make their own assets from scratch upset. It dilutes the quality of the 3D art presented on the site and gives people a misinterpretation of the uploader's ability with 3D works.

Many will argue that Poser/DAZ's composition aspect can be appreciated enough as artwork. If that's the case, may I make the same argument by taking bits and pieces of other's uploads and create a Frankenstein submission and call it my own in the same respect? Is it fair for this kind of blatant unchecked uploading to continue on the site, while other issues are resolved handily by the staff?

If I'm reading into this incorrectly, by all means, explain it to me. Thanks for your time.

No faith for this site Forum Legend
    Species
    Disputed
    This
    This'd 182 Times in 104 Posts

Default Re: Regarding 3D submissions/stolen artwork

It boils down to your being right and admins taking forever to do half-attempting their jobs.
    Last edited by Devious Bane; 02-08-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Because they apparently claim to do stuff

Species
    Equine
    This
    This'd 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Devious Bane View Post
    It boils down to your being right and admins taking forever to do half-attempting their jobs.
    Sure, doesn't make it any more okay to let this run rampant.

Species
    Disputed
    This

Yet we let it.

I am legion, for we are many. 2,500 Club CerbrusNL's Avatar
    Species
    Red Wolf (Canis Rufus)
    This
    This'd 803 Times in 325 Posts

3D submissions can not contain stock parts, indeed.
    Could you PM me the ticket ID's? I'll see what I can do.

We usually deal with them, it's just that there are so many, we can't find all of them without reports.

Also, Devious, you're not helping anyone here. You have no idea of the amount of tickets up at amy given moment, and it's not like we're ignoring 3D submissions on purpose.
    Seriously, stop right there.
    If you want to criticise us, that's fine, but be constructive about it.
    Last edited by CerbrusNL; 02-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    "This is my Fursona. There are many like it, but this one is mine."
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
    Just don't do what most furfags do and assume anyone that disagrees with them is a troll
    ~ References ~ FA ~ Ask Cerbrus ~

<-- This is the report button, USE IT -->

Species
    Equine
    This
    This'd 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Devious Bane View Post
    Yet we let it.
    -table flip-

Species
    Disputed
    This

(Excuses)
    Also to add, "crediting" open-source material isn't enough to bypass the "For you, by you" policy which governs everything.

Edit: There is a difference between "ignoring" and "not doing".
    Last edited by Devious Bane; 02-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Species
    Equine
    This
    This'd 1 Time in 1 Post

I think I sent the userpages instead of the trouble tickets, whoops. Let me know if you still want the ticket IDs. Or heck, if you got the PM in the first place, I dunno if it sent...

Tail first, THEN legs.... The 5,000 Club Stratadrake's Avatar
    Species
    Duh
    This
    This'd 174 Times in 124 Posts

You have no idea of the amount of tickets up at amy given moment...
    I vote that this stat should be displayed on everybody's TT CP at all times so we know just what that workload is and can't complain about staff "not doing their jobs" anymore.

Even better would be a measure of how many total TT's are outstanding and "where" yours are in the queue, but that's a bit trickier.
    Track my pawprints, if you will....
    Stratadrake @FA, @dA, @FAC, @N

10. The Following User agrees with Stratadrake's Post:

Post Crusader
    Species
    arctic fox
    This
    This'd 54 Times in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stratadrake View Post
    I vote that this stat should be displayed on everybody's TT CP at all times so we know just what that workload is and can't complain about staff "not doing their jobs" anymore.
    This was one thing that was very nice about the old Yiffstar - you could at any point in time see the number of items in the moderation queue, as well as a graph over how many had been there in the last 24/48 hours or something like that. Having some sort of simple stats available would be a fairly "cheap" way of providing some transparency, labor-wise, and FA could honestly use some transparency for goodwill. So all for this idea.
    Crazy cat lady alert.

12. The Following User agrees with quoting_mungo's Post:

Thread Information