Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I just realized that gay marriage isn't an issue of discrimination

Yuusha Ou The 5,000 Club CaptainCool's Avatar
    This
    This'd 941 Times in 585 Posts

Default Re: I just realized that gay marriage isn't an issue of discrimination

Quote Originally Posted by chapels View Post
    you can't lie your way out of this one captaincool. we've caught you state-handed
    this thread is bonkers... you should all feel so bad right now^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Corto View Post
    CC's advice is really terrible if you apply it to life in general, but surprisingly accurate when it comes to dealing with mentholated gonads.

thank you Post Crusader chapels's Avatar
    Species
    politician
    This
    This'd 38 Times in 27 Posts

who specifically

i think this was a fun time-kill
    thanks

As slick as a bad analogy You Have Taken the Lead Metalmeerkat's Avatar
    Species
    The fox of your dreams. And not the good kind.
    This
    This'd 94 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
    Hell, the entire argument of "I should have something because I want it" is one hell of a slippery slope.
    The slippery slope argument is one hell of a slippery slope to fallacies . . .
    Students far from done, awake at one, basked in reddening glow
    Gone insane from the insomnia that they surly know.
    For whom the alarm tolls, time marches on
    For whom the alarm tolls . . .

Species
    a ley-dy.
    This
    This'd 774 Times in 339 Posts

Ahahaha I love this cx
    Awks.
    ••••••
    FA x tumbls x FW

Species
    le monkey face
    This
    This'd 163 Times in 98 Posts

OP has PhD in troll logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    If VLC can't play it, he doesn't need to see it

Forgive Yourself You Have Taken the Lead Kahoku's Avatar
    Species
    Snow Leopard
    This
    This'd 64 Times in 38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    This post is troll overload.

Heterosexual individuals are allowed to marry those that they love, whereas homosexual individuals cannot. The law discriminates between homosexual and heterosexual marriages only to deny rights to homosexual couples. It's the practical definition of discrimination.
    He would have better luck, if he didn't use the Joker avatar too.

Bike riding squirrel thing. Broke the 10K Barrier
    Still Hasn't Seen the Sun
    Species
    Eastern grey squirrel (Black variant)
    This
    This'd 701 Times in 461 Posts

It just dawned on me that as a heterosexual I'm not allowed to marry men either. Doesn't that dismiss the idea that gay marriage is a civil rights issue rather than a "let's change the law because it's inconvenient" one? I mean gay couples aren't discriminated against because they're still allowed to marry members of the opposite sex, they don't have any more or less rights than anyone else in that regard.
    No, as heterosexual you are choosing not to marry a man. So no, it doesn't dismiss the idea of gay marriage being a civil rights issue. They are not interested in the opposite sex, if they were they wouldn't be gay and wouldn't want gay marriage to be legal.

Examples of discrimination:

You can't join the army because you're gay
    You can't avail of the same legal protection as white people because you're black
    You forgot to add "You can't marry because you're gay and want to marry a man, not a woman."

I'll use Mary Jane as an analogy. Let's say you live somewhere where it's illegal, in that place it's illegal for everybody. Wanting to smoke pot more than the average person and not being allowed to does not somehow make you a victim of discrimination, because wanting to do something illegal does not make you exempt from laws that govern its legality, otherwise the whole point of the legal system goes out the window because you're letting people who want to break the law break it and only enforce laws against people who don't want to violate those laws and thus don't need enforcing.
    The laws are discriminating against gays though. The law is what states gay couples can not get married.

Bringing that back to the gay rights issue, lusting for cocks up your pipe is not somehow a legal ticket for elevated priviledges that allow you to do something I'm not allowed to do (marry dudes), therefore being denied gay marriage is not discrimination on anyone's part because it's equally denied to everybody.
    How is it denied to everyone when straight people do not even WANT to marry the same sex
    Awkward moment: When a GPS tells a gay man to go straight.

Species
    a ley-dy.
    This
    This'd 774 Times in 339 Posts

People are taking this seriouslyy
    Awks.
    ••••••
    FA x tumbls x FW

Species
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Ley View Post
    It's a debate ain't it? I know OP is a troll but at least he creates debatable topics.

Tylenol ain't working 2,500 Club Dreaming's Avatar
    Species
    I'm not a cat!
    This
    This'd 566 Times in 361 Posts

Taking things seriously takes too much effort, man. :v Best to just sit and watch others take it seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiShi_Sukoro View Post
    FA is just pissing me the FUCK off.

As slick as a bad analogy You Have Taken the Lead Metalmeerkat's Avatar
    Species
    The fox of your dreams. And not the good kind.
    This
    This'd 94 Times in 52 Posts

Trolling is serious beeswax!
    Students far from done, awake at one, basked in reddening glow
    Gone insane from the insomnia that they surly know.
    For whom the alarm tolls, time marches on
    For whom the alarm tolls . . .

Terrorist Scum 2,500 Club Brazen's Avatar
    Species
    Troll
    This
    This'd 1,501 Times in 567 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy-Darkshade View Post
    No, as heterosexual you are choosing not to marry a man. So no, it doesn't dismiss the idea of gay marriage being a civil rights issue. They are not interested in the opposite sex, if they were they wouldn't be gay and wouldn't want gay marriage to be legal.

So heterosexuality is an informed decision while homosexuality is an uncontrolled affliction? I don't choose to be interested in women any more than gays choose not to be interested in women, I hate women as anything other than pieces of meat.

You forgot to add "You can't marry because you're gay and want to marry a man, not a woman."
    BUT YOU STILL HAVE ALL THE SAME LEGAL RIGHTS AS EVERYONE ELSE, NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO MARRY MEMBERS OF THE SAME SEX, HOW IS IT DISCRIMINATION?

The laws are discriminating against gays though. The law is what states gay couples can not get married.
    Show me one law in the first world that says "oh, if you're of a homosexual persuasion you're not allowed to marry". The laws state that only men and women can marry, there's no mention of sexual orientation anywhere in there. Again, wanting something that is currently illegal isn't discrimination if it's equally illegal for everyone. The cannabis argument is semantically correct, the laws state that tobacco is the only substance you can legally smoke, whether or not you want to smoke tobacco is irrelevant, whether or not you'd rather smoke cannabis is equally irrelevant. There aren't any laws that state "oh, you like pot? You're not allowed to consume any controlled substances at all then", it's not discrimination against cannabis enthusiasts or Bob Marley fans.

This argument can be applied to a million other things because the overall logic is the same, when someone is treated the same as everyone else and they want special treatment that's not discrimination. If homosexuals ever get something comparable to a sex offender registry where you're no longer legally allowed to do things that I can do merely because I'm not on the registry THEN that would be discrimination, currently though gays are just throwing a hissy fit over wanting more more more.
    Quote Originally Posted by TashkentFox View Post
    You know, I would shoot you if I knew where you lived.
    [

13. The Following User agrees with Brazen's Post:

Shazam! Elder God Cyanide_tiger's Avatar
    Species
    Master Sword
    This
    This'd 669 Times in 286 Posts

Brazen makes the best threads. I do hope this one keeps going, especially since his point here is essentially airtight.

Well played, OP, well played.

15. The Following User agrees with Cyanide_tiger's Post:

Get chance and luck! You Have Taken the Lead shteev's Avatar
    Species
    ???
    This
    This'd 157 Times in 91 Posts

*Notices Brazen is the OP*
    *Closes tab immediately*

17. The Following User agrees with shteev's Post:

Citadel shop connoisseur Elder God Hakar Kerarmor's Avatar
    Species
    Southern sergal
    This
    This'd 678 Times in 330 Posts

Brazen is the reason Poe's Law was invented.
    "....so I headbutted the blind chick."

19. The Following User agrees with Hakar Kerarmor's Post:

The hell am I reading, here? Broke the 10K Barrier
    Species
    Fantastic Pineapple Squirrel-chan
    This
    This'd 3,971 Times in 1,673 Posts

I know this is a Brazen troll thread but how did nobody mention Loving v. Virginia yet.

Prior to that decision everyone had the "equal" right to marry within their own race, but the Supreme Court saw right through that bullshit.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

     Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Species
    Troll
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Lobar View Post
    I know this is a Brazen troll thread but how did nobody mention Loving v. Virginia yet.

Prior to that decision everyone had the "equal" right to marry within their own race, but the Supreme Court saw right through that bullshit.
    It was mentioned and it was rebutted, although when you get down to think about it inter-racial marriage isn't discrimination either.

EDIT: It's actually even less discrimination than gay marriage because inter-racial absolutely is an informed decision with no mental illness gray area involved.
    Last edited by Brazen; 04-01-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    [

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet Elder God mapdark's Avatar
    This
    This'd 281 Times in 160 Posts

Lots of bullshit and trolling
    Could you be more obvious in your trolling , I don't think you've meade it clear enough that you wanted negative reactions!

Species
    Troll
    This

Quote Originally Posted by mapdark View Post
    Oh god, I can't think of a rebuttal, better use an ad hominem
    Could you be more obvious in your torrential butt-bleeding?
    [

Can't stop. Post Crusader Criminal Scum's Avatar
    Species
    Bucket
    This
    This'd 52 Times in 31 Posts

You know Brazen is a good troll when you know he's trolling but still manages to kind of piss you off anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Brother
    "The ocean is kind of like a glory hole: you're either gonna have a good time... or you'll get your dick bit off."
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dawkins
    "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, then you can fuck off."

Get chance and luck! You Have Taken the Lead shteev's Avatar
    Species
    ???
    This
    This'd 157 Times in 91 Posts

Torrential butt-bleeding.

That's a new one.

26. The Following 2 Users agree with shteev's Post:

Species
    This

So heterosexuality is an informed decision while homosexuality is an uncontrolled affliction? I don't choose to be interested in women any more than gays choose not to be interested in women, I hate women as anything other than pieces of meat.
    I never said it was an informed decision, I said marrying the same gender is just like when people CHOOSE to marry the opposite sex. Marriage is not the same as having sex or a sexuality.

BUT YOU STILL HAVE ALL THE SAME LEGAL RIGHTS AS EVERYONE ELSE, NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO MARRY MEMBERS OF THE SAME SEX, HOW IS IT DISCRIMINATION?
    Like I said, because it is preventing people who want to marry the same gender from doing so. That itself should be a basic right.

Show me one law in the first world that says "oh, if you're of a homosexual persuasion you're not allowed to marry". The laws state that only men and women can marry, there's no mention of sexual orientation anywhere in there. Again, wanting something that is currently illegal isn't discrimination if it's equally illegal for everyone. The cannabis argument is semantically correct, the laws state that tobacco is the only substance you can legally smoke, whether or not you want to smoke tobacco is irrelevant, whether or not you'd rather smoke cannabis is equally irrelevant. There aren't any laws that state "oh, you like pot? You're not allowed to consume any controlled substances at all then", it's not discrimination against cannabis enthusiasts or Bob Marley fans.
    It doesn't say that exactly, but the fact it prevents same sex marriage prevents those who want to marry the same gender from doing so. As I already stated, you don;t choose your sexuality, but you choose who you want to marry. Which is not the same thing.

In all honesty I don;t want to ever get married, to either gender. I personally think it's a waste of time and money. I don't need vows from my partner to prove they love me. Not to mention that these days marriage means shit to most people anyway because marriage does not stop people from cheating on their spouse. So why waste that money getting married just to fork out again on a divorce?

The hell am I reading, here? Broke the 10K Barrier
    Species
    Fantastic Pineapple Squirrel-chan
    This
    This'd 3,971 Times in 1,673 Posts

It was mentioned and it was rebutted, although when you get down to think about it inter-racial marriage isn't discrimination either.

EDIT: It's actually even less discrimination than gay marriage because inter-racial absolutely is an informed decision with no mental illness gray area involved.
    SCOTUS disagrees, discriminatory intent is sufficient to run afoul of the Equal Protection clause of the 14th amendment.

A law prohibiting the consumption of fried chicken, watermelon, and collard greens might also "equally" apply to everyone, but it's still discriminatory and unconstitutional on the basis of its obvious intent.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

     Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

29. The Following 2 Users agree with Lobar's Post:

Species
    Troll
    This

I never said it was an informed decision, I said marrying the same gender is just like when people CHOOSE to marry the opposite sex. Marriage is not the same as having sex or a sexuality.
    So what's the issue? One group chooses one thing, another another, one fights to have their choices legally recognized because they want their choices to be legally recognized. Where's the persecution?

Like I said, because it is preventing people who want to marry the same gender from doing so. That itself should be a basic right.
    Look, taxes are important, I agree, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that demanding the government gives you tax breaks on your own terms should be a basic right comparable to the right to safety and the right to employment.

In all honesty I don;t want to ever get married, to either gender. I personally think it's a waste of time and money. I don't need vows from my partner to prove they love me. Not to mention that these days marriage means shit to most people anyway because marriage does not stop people from cheating on their spouse. So why waste that money getting married just to fork out again on a divorce?
    I agree, I don't intend to get married either in the foreseeable future. I do however enjoy exploiting the taxpayer, so when I have more free time I intend to lobby the Irish government to recognize single men and women as being both an employable entity and a homemaker at the same time, thus gaining the legal benefits of both and the drawbacks of neither.

Hell, there are a lot of things I'll work towards changing. Why do only hybrid cars get hybrid car tax credits when I emit less carbon emissions from using public transport, why do only women get maternity leaves when as a man I may have my own projects at home that I consider self-realization comparable to having a child and thus would like paid leave for, why is drink-driving illegal when I know I can handle my hard liquor behind the wheel.

Lots of things I'd like to see changed, in none of those cases however do I view myself as a brave martyr fighting against injustice, I recognize the situation for what it is: taking advantage of a lenient government body to take as much as I can.
    [

a sentient shade of teal Forum Legend Seas's Avatar
    Species
    Selah-Harih
    This
    This'd 52 Times in 31 Posts

I loved the part in this thread where it almost got to include zoophilia as well.

It'd be like a double dose of lols.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information