Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Site broken

Species
    Pitbull - Who also happens to be a werewolf
    This
    This'd 9 Times in 2 Posts

Default Re: Site broken

I probably missed it in this thread somewhere, but did the admins at all mention if the titles to submissions would be back? Whenever an artist I watch posts a submission, it doesn't say who it's by or what it's called, the same goes for just about any other submission by someone; is that a bug, or is that suppose to be part of the upgrade since the thumbnails or so big? Also, when I roll over an image, descriptions no longer pop up.

Hey Digimon! Fur Affinity Staff
    The 5,000 Club
    Species
    Murasadramon
    This
    This'd 368 Times in 108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crocdragon View Post
    I probably missed it in this thread somewhere, but did the admins at all mention if the titles to submissions would be back? Whenever an artist I watch posts a submission, it doesn't say who it's by or what it's called, the same goes for just about any other submission by someone; is that a bug, or is that suppose to be part of the upgrade since the thumbnails or so big? Also, when I roll over an image, descriptions no longer pop up.
    There's now a "toggle descriptions" button on the new submissions notification page that will let you choose to see the notices or not.
    Follow @furaffinity and @faunited, our official convention, on Twitter for updates and more!

Species
    Pitbull - Who also happens to be a werewolf
    This
    This'd 9 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneer View Post
    There's now a "toggle descriptions" button on the new submissions notification page that will let you choose to see the notices or not.
    Ooh, I see. Thank you.

This
    This'd 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fennex View Post
    Once, a long time ago I pissed of FA staff by making small thumbnails large, and DOS-ing the site, and ... . Well, it's a long list, and while I can't un-DOS my accidental DOS I can do something else now. I can magically shrink large thumbnails back to the old size. Like so: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/129979 (userscripts require firefox)

It's not much and it will probably break horrendously on the very next update of FA's code. But it will hopefully tide people over until Yak can get around to implementing a choice of thumbnail size.
    Another solution would be to use the Ctrl+ Ctrl- zoom feature that most any browser has. Though that changed the size of the text on screen as well, so its usefulness is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by thoron View Post
    Some of the updates that have yet to be put into place I'm not too keen on, hiding favorites and shutting off notes. I've found a lot of great work by looking through other peoples favorites and as for the notes if you don't want to be contacted by someone maybe instead extend the block list, or maybe have the option on to block certain people from sending notes while not blocking them from sending a standard comment?

At least the option to customize the thumbnail size will be put in place.
    I also would not like it if Favorites are hidden and Notes are turned off. Notes are a quick & easy way to contact someone privately. And there's characters that I like but their owners don't post art of those characters to their own gallery, choosing instead to fave the art they've had done, so looking at character owner favorites is the best way to keep up with new art of said characters.

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm Broke the 10K Barrier
    Still Hasn't Seen the Sun
    This
    This'd 3,742 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
    I also would not like it if Favorites are hidden and Notes are turned off. Notes are a quick & easy way to contact someone privately. And there's characters that I like but their owners don't post art of those characters to their own gallery, choosing instead to fave the art they've had done, so looking at character owner favorites is the best way to keep up with new art of said characters.
    Letting furries bypass blocks against furries they dislike by simply sending a note is a very good idea. After all it's not like the admins are constantly being bombarded with "harassment" tickets. After all why would someone ever think reducing the workload on staff to get tickets solved faster is a good idea?
    Last edited by CannonFodder; 04-03-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad Hoc View Post
    I did do some weird shit with my fingers at MFF that made Fay V scream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    i confess i miss the original black hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteCaliente View Post
    I AM BECOME DEATH, EJACULATOR OF DOOMED WORLDS

6. The Following User agrees with CannonFodder's Post:

Enthusiastic Downloader Post Crusader Accountability's Avatar
    This
    This'd 346 Times in 118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Okay.
    It's just annoying cause thoron has been told WAY over a dozen times the custom thumbnail size is coming out later this week and he still doesn't know.
    We've also been told gallery folders are coming soon
    and content filtering
    and a new UI
    and some commission ratings feature
    and a fixed bbcode parser
    and web hosting
    and a comment system that doesn't suck
    and a better support system
    and more coding staff
    and on demand printing
    and better support for written works
    and much more

all at some point said to be coming RealSoonNow.

Is it any wonder people might not even notice when FA say they're going to do something anymore? I really wouldn't be shocked if a year from now this still isn't fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by net-cat (2/27/2009) View Post
    FA is hardly the NSA, but we don't ignore security concerns.

8. The Following User agrees with Accountability's Post:

Corto Wasn't Here The 5,000 Club BRN's Avatar
    Species
    Tenacious Quilava
    This
    This'd 2,162 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Accountability View Post

Is it any wonder people might not even notice when FA say they're going to do something anymore? I really wouldn't be shocked if a year from now this still isn't fixed.
    I don't understand how this could be seen to be constructive in any light. It just seems like a prediction based in cynicism that's ignoring changes that are rather obviously being made. Did you not notice, or is this intentionally solely an inflammatory post?

This
    This'd 4 Times in 4 Posts

Letting furries bypass blocks against furries they dislike by simply sending a note is a very good idea. After all it's not like the admins are constantly being bombarded with "harassment" tickets. After all why would someone ever think reducing the workload on staff to get tickets solved faster is a good idea?
    If furry A has blocked furry B, trying to get around that by sending them an FA note does not work. You still get a message saying that you can't send that user a note because you're on their block list.

The Smart Idiot Broke the 10K Barrier
    Species
    Hybrid
    This
    This'd 471 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
    If furry A has blocked furry B, trying to get around that by sending them an FA note does not work. You still get a message saying that you can't send that user a note because you're on their block list.
    it was a glitch in the past, I would say before the updated block feature that even if you were blocked you could still send notes to the one who blocked you

Species
    Fox
    This
    This'd 173 Times in 97 Posts

I don't know about that. I've tried to send notes when I've been blocked and while I could write the note down on the notes page and such the moment I hit send I would be informed that the note could not be sent.

Also, as far I know the block list is limited to 20 blocks at the moment, and as far as I'm concerned if you use up that list to block harrassing users, you might have done something to deserve it. But this isn't always the case since some well known artists simply get trolled, a good compromise would be to have it set up so that if the block list becomes full the option to turn off the notes system would then become available. I don't know if this is possible though.
    Last edited by thoron; 04-03-2012 at 08:02 AM.

This

I don't know about that. I've tried to send notes when I've been blocked and while I could write the note down on the notes page and such the moment I hit send I would be informed that the note could not be sent.

Also, as far I know the block list is limited to 20 blocks at the moment, and as far as I'm concerned if you use up that list to block harrassing users, you might have done something to deserve it. But this isn't always the case since some well known artists simply get trolled, a good compromise would be to have it set up so that if the block list becomes full the option to turn off the notes system would then become available. I don't know if this is possible though.
    Before you could bypass the block in the notes. Making it harder to get through a block is such a bad idea, don't you agree? After all who in their right mind would fix a known problem with the site?

Hey Digimon! Fur Affinity Staff
    The 5,000 Club
    Species
    Murasadramon
    This
    This'd 368 Times in 108 Posts

I don't believe there is a limit to the amount of blocks, actually. That said, there are some issues with blocking we're aware of that we're trying to fix.
    Last edited by Dragoneer; 04-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Follow @furaffinity and @faunited, our official convention, on Twitter for updates and more!

Species
    Fox
    This
    This'd 173 Times in 97 Posts

Before you could bypass the block in the notes. Making it harder to get through a block is such a bad idea, don't you agree? After all who in their right mind would fix a known problem with the site?
    I was blocked by a friend for a week cause I pissed him off and I only found out I was blocked when I tried to send a note. I tried to comment, leave shouts and nothing worked. I even tried contacting him through past notes as a responce to that and it still wouldn't let send anything. As far as I can tell, there is no current bug, but then I haven't been blocked in ages. The option of disabling notes is more of a bandaid than a fix. If there is a bug that allows notes through inspite of being on the block list, then that bug needs to be fixed. Then if say your being harrassed and the number of accounts you've blocked exceeds a certain number then the disable option would become available.

I don't believe there is a limit to the amount of blocks, actually. That said, there are some issues with blocking we're aware of that we're trying to fix.
    I heard there was, but that was a year or two ago. I'm a little out of date on that since I've never had to block anyone.
    Last edited by thoron; 04-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Forum Legend
    This
    This'd 6 Times in 6 Posts

On the subject of fixing, I'm just wondering but was the XSS exploit on the commissions page ever fixed or are we expecting that on the new UI/Latter updates?
    Not complaining, just curious.

This

I was blocked by a friend for a week cause I pissed him off and I only found out I was blocked when I tried to send a note. I tried to comment, leave shouts and nothing worked. I even tried contacting him through past notes as a responce to that and it still wouldn't let send anything. As far as I can tell, there is no current bug, but then I haven't been blocked in ages. The option of disabling notes is more of a bandaid than a fix. If there is a bug that allows notes through inspite of being on the block list, then that bug needs to be fixed. Then if say your being harrassed and the number of accounts you've blocked exceeds a certain number then the disable option would become available.
    It was a bug where if you sent a message to someone that blocked you and while it was going through sent the same note through there was a chance of it going through anyhow. The bug is easier to place a "bandaid" on it than fix it. There's a massive number of bugs with the site, fortunately most of them aren't that big. To use a analogy Fa's code is like a tower of duct-tape trying to hold in water. It sounds easy to just go "well why don't the coders just fix it" when in reality the whole site needs serious work. I've had a debate with accountability and other regulars that the best option would be to restart from scratch and make a new UI from the ground up, like what eevee was doing, but considering the shit storm that would cause I can see why they'd rather fix the site.

Think about it this way as someone who doesn't know much about coding, if tomorrow they rolled out the new UI and everything would you be upset? Chances are there'd be a level five shitstorm. I'd be hard for yak to explain why it'd be better cause unless someone has a background in html and css they wouldn't understand. It'd be like trying to explain how to repair a car to someone who has never worked on a car. Sure they'd catch on eventually, but imagine the person having to explain simultaneously to several thousand people.

It's been stated by several other people in the thread multiple times, "well if it's not broke why fix it". What has been proposed in this thread numerous times by people upset with the update is treating the symptom, not treating the cause.

So I'll just summarize what known problems this can fix in the future. The removal of the news section and instead having it as announcements reduces the chances of a fuckup with the artwork, writing, and music section. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but sometimes when coding if you have a table to the left and one to the right the float can go wonky. By that I mean it's possible that the artwork area could have overlapped the news section by accident. It sounds like that'd be easy to fix, but sometimes it is and some times it's not. I once went TWO hours tearing throw my coding trying to find a single problem. TWO hours just to find one little bug and in the end it turned out to be a typo in my code. What is worse is the misspelling of the word is so common that normally your eyes glance over it. If there is a bug with the table it won't be noticeable and even if there is one there'd be no reason to give a care really.

Having the thumbnails on the same server quite frankly makes it far easier and less likely for a error that you'd wind up tearing through your code trying to find out why it's not linking properly. You'd think the older system would be better, not for a computer as a computer does not compute like a person.

Half of these updates are fixing fundamental problems with the site and the other half seem as to be for future things, like the hide favorites or such.

Tl:dr; half of the updates will make it easier to fix problems and the other half seem to be for future updates.

So really would you rather them focus on giving what people want by just adding more duct tape to the site or making it easier to update in the long run?
    Last edited by CannonFodder; 04-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.

You Have Taken the Lead PheagleAdler's Avatar
    Species
    Bald Eagle
    This
    This'd 50 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayhusky View Post
    On the subject of fixing, I'm just wondering but was the XSS exploit on the commissions page ever fixed or are we expecting that on the new UI/Latter updates?
    Not complaining, just curious.

lol are they even considering bringing that back? They removed it from the interface a while ago.
    Who told you to put the cheese on? Did I tell you to put the cheese on? I didn't tell you to put the cheese on. You people with the cheese, it never ends!

Enthusiastic Downloader Post Crusader Accountability's Avatar
    This
    This'd 346 Times in 118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SIX View Post
    I don't understand how this could be seen to be constructive in any light. It just seems like a prediction based in cynicism that's ignoring changes that are rather obviously being made. Did you not notice, or is this intentionally solely an inflammatory post?
    My point was that FA has frequently in the past insisted that "Oh yeah we're working on that and it's going to be ready very soon!" when asked about a feature.

There are dozens of instances of this. Here in July 2010 they say they'll let you add Livestream usernames "in our next update". Right in the same journal "Fender" says the online indicator was removed until an opt-out is ready. At this point there's probably hundreds of "Oh yeah we're working on that!" replies to feature requests scattered over the site.

I'm not saying "They're totally not doing it" but it wouldn't surprise me. People repeatedly asking about it is likely a good thing because it will keep reminding the administration that they have to do it. We've seen that they can add things in mere hours (the Viglink opt-out) when there's a strong demand, but when left to their own devices it seems things never get done.

Quote Originally Posted by hg3300 View Post
    lol are they even considering bringing that back? They removed it from the interface a while ago.
    The page doesn't work, but the navbar element still exists in the userpage source code.

So I'll just summarize what known problems this can fix in the future. The removal of the news section and instead having it as announcements reduces the chances of a fuckup with the artwork, writing, and music section. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but sometimes when coding if you have a table to the left and one to the right the float can go wonky. By that I mean it's possible that the artwork area could have overlapped the news section by accident..
    uh what
    Last edited by Accountability; 04-03-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by net-cat (2/27/2009) View Post
    FA is hardly the NSA, but we don't ignore security concerns.

You Have Taken the Lead PheagleAdler's Avatar
    Species
    Bald Eagle
    This
    This'd 50 Times in 33 Posts

adding a livestream section to your profile doesn't seem like too much work, but I'm not involved in the coding of the site...

I also like the online light bulbs...would be cool to add a chat feature too.
    Who told you to put the cheese on? Did I tell you to put the cheese on? I didn't tell you to put the cheese on. You people with the cheese, it never ends!

Corto Wasn't Here The 5,000 Club BRN's Avatar
    Species
    Tenacious Quilava
    This
    This'd 2,162 Times in 1,083 Posts

My point was that FA has frequently in the past insisted that "Oh yeah we're working on that and it's going to be ready very soon!" when asked about a feature.

There are dozens of instances of this. Here in July 2010 they say they'll let you add Livestream usernames "in our next update". Right in the same journal "Fender" says the online indicator was removed until an opt-out is ready. At this point there's probably hundreds of "Oh yeah we're working on that!" replies to feature requests scattered over the site.

I'm not saying "They're totally not doing it" but it wouldn't surprise me. People repeatedly asking about it is likely a good thing because it will keep reminding the administration that they have to do it. We've seen that they can add things in mere hours (the Viglink opt-out) when there's a strong demand, but when left to their own devices it seems things never get done.
    But then you're restating known facts. This isn't a thread full of the uninformed; so, what exactly are you proposing?

It seems blasé to the point of questionability to bring up a history of nonactivity, in a period that could already well be defined as the single biggest change FA has ever gone through.

This

The page doesn't work, but the navbar element still exists in the userpage source code.
    ...Accountability it's ironic that you have that reference in your signature when you are metaphorically suggesting adding more duct tape to the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by hg3300 View Post
    adding a livestream section to your profile doesn't seem like too much work
    Yeeeaahhhh.... about that the so called "easy" solution would be to make something like how you submit journals or submissions that would pop up in your inbox and would expire after a couple hours.
    What you are imagining would go about as well as the commission tab.
    Last edited by CannonFodder; 04-03-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Retired Broke the 10K Barrier
    This
    This'd 5,762 Times in 2,030 Posts

thanks for the cool html and css advice here cannonfodder, it's really good of you. are you qualified on the matter though?

You know more about web design even though my degree requires basic web design classes? Tell me more about how you know more about my own field than I do.
    ...basic web design classes ... my own field ...
    ...okay
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierientzal View Post
    I am a programmer who does ruby, so turn the light off me, and if I DID do that shit, I would have done it already and fried your cpu like freaking KFC.
    <lolocaust> sometimes danger lurks on #furaffinity was flooded the board because nobody loves biker shorts

This

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
    thanks for the cool html and css advice here cannonfodder, it's really good of you. are you qualified on the matter though?
    ...okay
    Actually even though logically you wouldn't think my degree plan would require you to learn html or css, but for the portfolio development next semester I'm going to have to create a website for my portfolio in which I could log onto and post my latest projects and have at the very least a form that they can fill out and email me directly and I can't very much do that without at least some knowledge about how to make it. The reason why it was added to the course schedule two semesters ago was that the graduating students were just putting their stuff up on facebook/deviantart/tumblr and... well... let's just say they were having trouble getting hired and the last thing my college wanted was to wind up getting a bad name for low employment of graduating students. So they just crammed two web design classes onto my course and well now I'm stuck learning the basics at least.

Tl:dr; I've been stuck with two website development classes cause my college didn't want to look bad. So I at least know the basics. I can't do java or such, but it's enough.
    Last edited by CannonFodder; 04-03-2012 at 02:24 PM.

This
    This'd 0 Times in 0 Posts

This isn't obvious from the answers given so far:

Will previously uploaded custom thumbnails that currently don't work in galleries, scraps and inbox be made to work there again? Or do we have to upload new ones at some point?

(I sometimes use custom thumbnails as to not give away a joke picture or comic in advance, and that's ruined now. I know it's a minor thing in the grand scheme of furry porn, I mean art, but it's rather a downer when the punchline to a joke, as it were, is given away in advance by merely looking at the thumbnail.)

Masticates in Public Broke the 10K Barrier

Species
    WTF?!
    This
    This'd 3,544 Times in 1,928 Posts

Some of this thread looks like a really bad high school debate team. :/ It's just that some comments that may look like support for the site hurt more than help, than other comments that are meant to criticize have little basis or support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Get-Dancing
    2. Other animals kill each other. That dosn't justificate you doing it.
    RE: If you could beat the crap out of any person alive or dead who'd it be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue2
    People who thinks Video Games cause violence.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Some of this thread looks like a really bad high school debate team. :/
    And that is why it's fun.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread Information