2 The Ranting Gryphon

Discussion in 'Furry Conventions' started by amatus, Mar 15, 2017.

?

Should 2 The Ranting Gryphon be at anthrocon?

Poll closed Wednesday at 8:19 AM.
  1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. amatus

amatus New Member

Last night I heard that 2 Gryphon is not going to Anthrocon. Can anyone tell me why. I need one hundred percent fact with evidance to support any claim.

2. Dedskunk

Dedskunk Member

He's not going because AC canned him.

3. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox I'm Delightfully Awkward :3

Oh, look, another update from the man himself.

I don't particularly watch or follow the guy but I actually feel bad for him, not to mention that the behavior exhibited by Anthrocon in regards to his show goes against many of the good values about this fandom, values it is supposed to be built on.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 7:42 AM
    Yakamaru and KageSakuraclown like this.
  5. KageSakuraclown

KageSakuraclown Active Member

I feel so bad for 2

6. Lcs

Lcs Woof

I do have to say that some of Gryphons posts were a bit questionable (in particular the suicide one); however, I still think that it was unreasonable to ban him from performing and make such a big deal out of what he wrote. Also, AC did a very poor job in explaining their motives.

Having said all that, many of the critics of ACs decision were very annoying about the whole situation as well.

7. Yakamaru

Yakamaru This is not a rabbit Avatar

2's a comedian. Some people take his shit seriously, we end up here. It's that simple, albeit sad.

2 should do his own livestream that he'd otherwise do on Anthrocon.

8. ferretsage

ferretsage Active Member

Anthrocon >should< be able to ban him because it's their show and, as a privately run organization, they can decide what goes into it. "Free Speech" only protects you from reprisals that deny life and liberty from the government.

That said,

1) Furry, as a fandom, is fucked.

2) Furry conventions -- the whole idea -- is fucked.

3) 2 "The Ranting Gryphon" is just a preview for the rest of you fools.

4) Study Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs to understand items 1-3.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017 at 12:50 PM
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox I'm Delightfully Awkward :3

Ha-ha jokes on you, I've already been where he is and I'm not making that mistake again.

ferretsage and Yakamaru like this.
  10. Yakamaru

Don't you get it? YOU FOO! We're ALL foo's!

11. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

It's really quite something to see 2 play victim here. I'll be the first to admit I'm not entirely savy with 2 Gryphon and his current form of comedy, so I apologize if anything I've said is misinformed. With that out of the way, my impression of 2 Gryphon is that he's fond of shock jock comedy, but with a heavy dose of edgelord. I listened to some his shows a couple years back and if I recall correctly a large part of his shows consisted of finding news stories where somebody died from their own stupidity and relentlessly mocking him. If he's changed that format (doubtful), well shame on me, I'm the idiot here. Now, I'm quite aware comedy is a subjective, some people are into that. I've got to ask though, just how far can you take the ever popular fallback of "it's just satire" as a shield? It's a common fallback for many comedians, it's just a joke after all. I'm quite aware it's in a comedians job description to push the line, to push what is acceptable to say, but when you're directly insulting somebody who died, it's a personal attack, and it's horrifically cruel to the victim's family. That's okay though, it's satire. It's okay to disregard any sense of moral decency.

If those were just a once off thing, I'd not find it so disturbing, but it was a recurring thing, and I draw the line at him encouraging people who are suicidal to commit suicide, both the video and the tweet he made. It's fucking repugnant. I don't care what sort of "satirical" commentary you're hiding behind, the message that some emotionally damaged kid who was bullied by suicide deserved to die is sick. It's this fallacious reasoning that, well I get hate all the time and you don't see me doing it! It's intellectually dishonest. People are different, they have different personality traits and they react differently to different situations. Could you honestly say that every one of your friends enjoy the same humor, would you the same black comedy joke to everybody you know and expect them to find it funny? The answer should be no. I guarantee you a 12 year old kid is going to react to online bullying far different than a grown adult. Are we really going to tote around and claim a depressed 12 year old kid with abusive parents is a moron for killing himself?

I'm sure I'll be painted as some hardcore SJW, but truthfully I consider myself a moderate, which seems to get me flack on both sides. I've unashamedly laughed at a couple racist jokes, ranging from White, Black Asian and Jewish. I'm not a saint, and I've no problem with non-PC jokes. It's my belief that if nobody is pushing the line, then society will inevitably regress into censorship. In that same breath, it is perfectly possible to find an extreme into the other direction, KKK, lynch mobs, ect. For those reasons I've always considered balance integral to society, it's so easy to indulge in either extreme. And in my opinion, encouraging suicide and laughing at suicide victims is an extreme though obviously not comparable to something like the KKK. With 2, there seems to be a belief that comedy must correlate with an utter abandonment of morality, that you must go out to say the most disturbing sociopathic shit you can. After all that however, I don't think 2 should be outright censored from doing any shows there again. He is right in that it isn't entirely fair to the people who came to see him, I'll agree with that. Outright censorship is rarely the appropriate answer. It IS Antrocon's prerogative however, if they want to remove him. Honestly speaking though, I don't feel too upset over his removal and don't sympathize much with his situation. Can't say I'm sad he's gone.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017 at 10:09 PM
  12. Yakamaru

Jewish isn't a race. Just sayin'.