Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: how do i tell my parents i'm furry?

hat! Forum Legend FourLetterWord's Avatar
    Species
    Arctic Fox
    This
    This'd 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Re: how do i tell my parents i'm furry?

they come from too different a world to understand what the in the hell furry is, you really gotta grow up with the internet to get this shit

don't bother telling them

Banned 2,500 Club
    Species
    Monique
    This
    This'd 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haynari View Post
    same goes with a tail. I am wearing mine right now and i have been all day and just now my mom noticed.
    If I was your mother (which I could be :3), I'd kick you out.

Battlefield 3 Junkie You Have Taken the Lead Sulfide's Avatar
    Species
    King Cheetah
    This
    This'd 1 Time in 1 Post

Through the Years I found people care a lot less then you think
    BATTLEFIELD 3 PSN: DISmeIAMaFURRY
    TOP 1% ARMOR | TOP 1% SKILL | TOP 1% M240b USE | TOP 2% K/D | TOP 3% VEHICLE SCORE
    add me, lets play today...
    -----
    --Furaffinity Fursuit Account: IamAnEngineer Art Account: Sulfide

Species
    Human
    This
    This'd 678 Times in 348 Posts

As with others before: there's no need to come out. To the example of "but then I'll cause confusion when I wear a tail / collar": So? It's about the same as wearing a baseball cap everywhere you go and all the time.

Do people try stuff like this for the drama (it tries to cause)? If you wish to state you're a 'Furry' because you feel you're not human: State you're a Therian or something. If you wish to state it because you think Humanity is going down the crapper, say you're a transhumanist who thinks splicing is the road to salvation. None of these will likely be a lie or anything - and you're getting closer to the point as well.

EDIT: ((In B4 shitstorm of "that's not how therian / transhumanist works!"))

Banned 2,500 Club
    Species
    Raigonetta
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Attaman View Post
    EDIT: ((In B4 shitstorm of "that's not how therian / transhumanist works!"))
    Oh.. it's coming Mr Smoothie.. It's coming.. and there is no salvation for the wicked..

Species
    Wolf/fox/husky.... Maybe a wolfoxsky?
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro-chan View Post
    I feel like I'm nearly alone in believing that this is just a hobby and not a lifestyle.

I do agree with this but I have to admit i think wearing a collar would be cool. or maybe a tail... but not the whole suit. I would jus do my day like usual. just have a collar...

Species
    Wolf/fox/husky.... Maybe a wolfoxsky?
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Billy-Rex View Post
    Even my girlfriend doesn't know, so... :P

Same here. But I dont think she would mind too much. I just dont want to tell her that...

Citadel shop connoisseur Elder God Hakar Kerarmor's Avatar
    Species
    Southern sergal
    This
    This'd 675 Times in 329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro-chan View Post
    I feel like I'm nearly alone in believing that this is just a hobby and not a lifestyle.
    Which is funny, since just a few seconds on these forums alone should show you it's the opposite way.
    "....so I headbutted the blind chick."

Burnt to a crispy texture Post Crusader Kranksty's Avatar
    Species
    Dragon
    This

I know if I ever did tell my parents they would be fine with it.
    Both my parents are both open minded about things.
    And I have always been the oddball in the family any ways lol.

Main Furry Name: Grontalis Von Dallius

Furry-Fangdom - The only place to get whacked over the head with a board! (Ok not really? xD)

RedFozzieWuzzle Lone Wolf RedFoz's Avatar
    Species
    Fox
    This

I only told my parents because they were wondering where I went every now and then and how I was meeting some other friends, didn't feel the need to lie to them for just meeting other people of similar interests.

I explained them that Furries are people who are interested in characters of non-human origins and said it is like a meet of people interested in Fantasy or Sci-fi Stories, only different genre, but everything else the same such as dressing up as their character, fantasizing, etc.

Of course, this is only my own personal views which obviously not everyone is going to agree with.

Red.
    Revenge is a dish best served cold...

Dance Commander Post Crusader
    Species
    Cat
    This

Telling your family anything about yourself is stupid.

You'd get more comfort out of giving a blowjob to a .357, trust me.

Just avoid it all together. Tell them you're going to go to college for basketball and marry a chick the same colour as you and sleep in separate beds. Nice and smooth.
    ~If I ever, if I never, make me stand up for whatever; Make me say, make me pay, make me understand you're there for me.~

Species
    Eevee
    This

Simple: You don't tell them. Ever.

Trust me, I wanted to tell mine a long time ago...but I fought off the urge and want for a long while, and nowadays I don't even care if they knew or not.

Species
    Eevee
    This

Simple: You don't tell them. Ever.

Trust me, I wanted to tell mine a long time ago...but I fought off the urge and want for a long while, and nowadays I don't even care if they know or not.

Species
    Blue Fronted Amazon Parrot
    This

Like others have said, there really isn't a point in 'coming out' as a furry. 'Coming out' to my parents as a furry for me would be like 'coming out' as a fan of anime, or survival horror games, or comic books. My parents know I like books, movies and what have you about animals, and that I like to draw pictures of animals. There's no point in me asking them to sit down so I can explain to them that there are people who like the same types of book I do and like to draw the same type of things who call themselves furries.
    The only time I'd explain that to them is if I wanted to go to a con, in which case I would say it was just like an anime con but for different shows and the like.
    I suppose you could explain it to them if they asked you why you were wearing a tail/collar, but for that you can just explain that there are people called furries who like stories and art about animals, and that sometimes there's a fashion aspect to the fandom, sort of like how fans of certain genres of music sometimes dress in a certain way.

Post Crusader
    This

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalZephyr View Post
    Like others have said, there really isn't a point in 'coming out' as a furry. 'Coming out' to my parents as a furry for me would be like 'coming out' as a fan of anime, or survival horror games, or comic books. My parents know I like books, movies and what have you about animals, and that I like to draw pictures of animals. There's no point in me asking them to sit down so I can explain to them that there are people who like the same types of book I do and like to draw the same type of things who call themselves furries.
    The only time I'd explain that to them is if I wanted to go to a con, in which case I would say it was just like an anime con but for different shows and the like.
    I suppose you could explain it to them if they asked you why you were wearing a tail/collar, but for that you can just explain that there are people called furries who like stories and art about animals, and that sometimes there's a fashion aspect to the fandom, sort of like how fans of certain genres of music sometimes dress in a certain way.
    The only reason why I had to explain it.

Black Fennec ^_^ Ninja BlackRat's Avatar
    Species
    Fennec
    This

Quote Originally Posted by RedFoz View Post
    I explained them that Furries are people who are interested in characters of non-human origins and said it is like a meet of people interested in Fantasy or Sci-fi Stories, only different genre, but everything else the same such as dressing up as their character, fantasizing, etc.
    That's how I see it. Basically the same as other groups, just a different topic.
    About telling your parents...probably not a great idea unless it's actually stopping you from doing things. Not really speaking from experience though, my parents are generally acceptant but are bloody inconsistant with it >.<

Species
    Human
    This
    This'd 678 Times in 348 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hakar Kerarmor View Post
    Which is funny, since just a few seconds on these forums alone should show you it's the opposite way.
    Opposite in that Kuro's alone, or that it's a hobby? Because if the former, I'll agree with you there.

The nonsensical drama furry. You Have Taken the Lead Dahguns's Avatar
    This

my dad would want to be like no *smack* ajsdahfiorjalkdaladlkwdj
    but then again i am 20 and my dad can't to squat about who i am at this point

Battlefield 3 Junkie You Have Taken the Lead Sulfide's Avatar
    Species
    King Cheetah
    This
    This'd 1 Time in 1 Post

Tell'em that its just a group. Dont be blatant. Work your way into the topic. Start by showing some art. Go with the flow.

Dont say hey, I like Animal looking characters. And that you like to wear fursuits. People will just think your a fag. Thats how Everyone would preceive me if I said that.
    BATTLEFIELD 3 PSN: DISmeIAMaFURRY
    TOP 1% ARMOR | TOP 1% SKILL | TOP 1% M240b USE | TOP 2% K/D | TOP 3% VEHICLE SCORE
    add me, lets play today...
    -----
    --Furaffinity Fursuit Account: IamAnEngineer Art Account: Sulfide

Prince of Techno Alpha Wolf QwertyQwert's Avatar
    Species
    Canadian Lynx
    This

My opinion is that unless your secret is hurting anyone, you don't need to tell anyone about it. I don't plan to ever tell anyone, unless I find out that they too are furry.
    "If you want, you can have, but you gotta learn to reach up there and grab it."

back'n up back'n up Broke the 10K Barrier
    Still Hasn't Seen the Sun
    Species
    arctic fox
    This
    This'd 32 Times in 24 Posts

I don't really believe it's a smart idea to tell your parents but if you do explain it to them very carefully, don't let them look it up on the internet first cause it will lead to bad things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigor Sardonicus View Post
    A word of advice to any other girl here: Don't. Even with butter on the outside, the crumbs will itch like hell by the time you get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corto View Post
    Phoenix, you're an ass and I hate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArielMT View Post
    GET A ROOM, GUYS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylak View Post
    Yeah, personally I like em shorter; sometimes the long ones are just too much fluff and not enough substance.

Species
    Fox
    This

meh. I have to be a little careful since my mother is actually into anime (thanks to me) so i simply worked my fursuiting stuff into the conversation as... welll... it's sortof... along the LINES of anime >.> I mean i plan to make anime quad suits someday. That's anime enough.

Lucky for me whatever the heck i tell my mother won't matter because she's computer illiterate, and i don't have to worry about her stumbling onto ... well. Stuff in my case she wouldn't aprove of me looking at. Then again... i don't tell her i like looking at yaoi either. She certainly wouldn't aprove of some manga i have.

my only worry will come the day, that after some anime convention she'll want to go to a fur convention with me... THAT'S the day i'll have to explain my interest XP

Other than that... *shrugs* There's really nothing to come out about. It's nice to share interests like anime. Besides. Nothing beats the day i had to tell her i had a girlfriend ^^;
    I do Ear, Tail, and Paw commissions, so send me a message if you're interested ^.~

Super Special AWESOME! You Have Taken the Lead Tatsuyoujo's Avatar
    Species
    Demon Shape Shifter!
    This

I don't dee what the big deal is. It's just a fetish. I see don't see people worrying about like bondage or anything.
    Well, damn you, FA.

Species
    Young Arctic Wolf
    This

Quote Originally Posted by kusanagi-sama View Post
    I am with you here, I feel its a hobby, like anime is. Those lifestylers are the ones that deny that they are even human.
    I'am not a lifestyler, but it is a serious hobby. Its an interest that I think will never go away. I do not think I am a animal in my soul though, i just really think the whole "fandom" thing is really cool.

Species
    Young Arctic Wolf
    This

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalZephyr View Post
    One of the reasons to "come out," is so that you don't have to explain yourself in the middle of looking into furry stuff. Also, my dad caught me looking at yiff at 13 (iam 17), and he reaceted badly. I just explained to him recently that I don't think that side of it is right anymore, but that the regular side of "furry," is ok. he said ok.

I basically said i had been interested in such things as just that: an interest. Its a hobby, and a werid one at that. If someone sees you looks at FA, they are going to hae some questions. i want to answer these questiosn throughly before hand as to clear up any misconceptions. Personally, if i had a collar i'd wear one around my dad (not my mom thought, she is Very judgemental), and there would not be a problem.

My dad doesn't get it, but understands and is ok with it. I found out that if your parent is even mildy free-minded, its not a problem. Even if they are christian and midly open-minded, there is still a solution to this. Oddly enough, my dad bascailly found biblical evidence explaining why humans are interesting furry stuff in the first place. If you would like to know what it is, Pm me.

But if your parent(s) are close minded, dont tell them. It really is specific to each situation, and if you do tell them, do it a little at a time.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information