Thread: Anthro 3d model, critique please.

My avatar creeps me out. Post Crusader Riv's Avatar
    Species
    Squirrel+fox+whatever else was available in the lab that day.
    This
    This'd 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Anthro 3d model, critique please.

Hi again, I've been working on this:

If anyone had any tips on how I could improve the anatomy, or even just the way the polygons are arranged, I would appreciate it! Thanks! :\)
    The General Time-Wasting Thread has been reborn, as a forum of its own! All furries who miss the GTWT are welcome!

FurryGTW.forumer.com

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED Elder God Jw's Avatar
    Species
    Disgruntled Fraternity Pledge
    This
    This'd 410 Times in 244 Posts

Default Re: Anthro 3d model, critique please.

It's not too bad, but I have a couple questions before i suggest any changes. Could you give a round ratio of the human/canine it is? Also, will fur be rendered on top, or is this shape the actual fur shape, too?

The muscles are a little different depending. If it's more human, i'd say shrink the neck width a little bit and keep it column-shaped and put more of the curve on the torso. Right now the deltoids look kinda huge. Also, the pectoral (chest) muscles fall a little low. The head and neck equals two hand lengths, and then another head length is the line where the nipples would be normally.

Concerning the fur, I'd have to know what kind of canine you'd be working with to give the best suggestion.

I hope that helps a little. Keep up the hard work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddish View Post
    JW knows his shit (I think he's a Y chromosome, anyway)
    Yep. Last time I checked.
    Formspring
    ~Visit my FA page. Or don't~

Species
    This

Quote Originally Posted by jwmcd2 View Post
    It's not too bad, but I have a couple questions before i suggest any changes. Could you give a round ratio of the human/canine it is? Also, will fur be rendered on top, or is this shape the actual fur shape, too?

The muscles are a little different depending. If it's more human, i'd say shrink the neck width a little bit and keep it column-shaped and put more of the curve on the torso. Right now the deltoids look kinda huge. Also, the pectoral (chest) muscles fall a little low. The head and neck equals two hand lengths, and then another head length is the line where the nipples would be normally.

Concerning the fur, I'd have to know what kind of canine you'd be working with to give the best suggestion.

I hope that helps a little. Keep up the hard work.
    Wow... I've never even given any thought to the ratio before... Do you suppose there is a ratio most typical in furry art?

I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to play with blender's hair particles, so the fur would probably be rendered on top of the existing model.

Now that you mention it, the neck does look bigger than I might have intended, so I've gone ahead and brought that down, and the pectorals were definitely too low. I almost feel stupid for not realizing that!

I didn't aim for a specific breed or species, just a generalized sort of furry shape, but I was mostly working with canid reference images.

I've also realized that he had no tail... oops :P

Here's a new version, refined based on your suggestions;

Now that the neck is smaller, I think the head looks a bit big... Anyone else think so?
    The General Time-Wasting Thread has been reborn, as a forum of its own! All furries who miss the GTWT are welcome!

FurryGTW.forumer.com

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED Elder God Jw's Avatar
    Species
    Disgruntled Fraternity Pledge
    This
    This'd 410 Times in 244 Posts

Like the changes. The head is in ratio to the body 1:8, so you are right on with the size in my opinion. Hopefully others will be able to give some more pointers. Hope this project works out well for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddish View Post
    JW knows his shit (I think he's a Y chromosome, anyway)
    Yep. Last time I checked.
    Formspring
    ~Visit my FA page. Or don't~

Hey, Assbutt Broke the 10K Barrier
    Still Hasn't Seen the Sun
    Species
    Meatchiller
    This
    This'd 4,191 Times in 1,580 Posts

Head is too far forward by the looks of things. Not sure though. Also that last picture, that angle makes it look like one of those mindfuck drawings where the legs of the chair go all over the place.

Species
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Smelge View Post
    Head is too far forward by the looks of things. Not sure though. Also that last picture, that angle makes it look like one of those mindfuck drawings where the legs of the chair go all over the place.
    Yeah, the head is probably jutted too far forward. Apologies for the angle... It's orthogonal and can be somewhat offensive to the mind if you aren't used to it. I'll update it when I get a chance.

FurryGTW.forumer.com

Banned Forum Legend
    Species
    Housecat
    This
    This'd 224 Times in 123 Posts

i would strongly suggest either making the bulge into a wang (to rig separately) or just do away with it entirely since it's going to cause some problems when you go to rig it as it is.

past that, it's a good start, needs some more work though. best way to do muscles... find references online of musculature and work from there. since it looks like a generic furry (rat/dog) you don't have to make the anatomy a perfect blend... just make sure the edge loops flow with how it's going to deform (unless it's meant to be static only)

EDIT:: after looking at the wireframe, i can see some areas that will cause problems in the shoulder/underarm area... and the hips. also, i can see some areas where there are some odd polys that will cause problems if you're planning on using a subdivision smoothing modifier (like meshsmooth or turbosmooth depending on the package you're using.)
    Last edited by Redregon; 07-16-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Hey, Assbutt Broke the 10K Barrier
    Still Hasn't Seen the Sun
    Species
    Meatchiller
    This
    This'd 4,191 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redregon View Post
    i would strongly suggest either making the bulge into a wang (to rig separately) or just do away with it entirely since it's going to cause some problems when you go to rig it as it is.
    Why does he need to make cock, exactly?

Banned Forum Legend
    Species
    Housecat
    This
    This'd 224 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smelge View Post
    Why does he need to make cock, exactly?
    dunno... maybe this is to be featured in a murry-purry picture or maybe it's to be completely tame... who can really guess.

Species
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Redregon View Post
    dunno... maybe this is to be featured in a murry-purry picture or maybe it's to be completely tame... who can really guess.
    Yeah... I have no intention of, or reason for, rigging the wang. Thanks though... XD

FurryGTW.forumer.com

Thread Information