A question about practice

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Sarachaga, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Sarachaga

Sarachaga You gain Brouzouf

Hey
    As my title says I'd like some advice on the topic of artistic practice. I'm trying to improve my pixel art skills and to do so I'm working on a project including a character and a background. The problem is that I spend more and more time on it and it becomes increasingly complex. Do you think it's better if I keep working on this specific project until it is finished, or that I should do something simpler to start with?

2. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

I suggest simpler. It'll come naturally to you after a while and before you know it you are doing something complex that is not as complex anymore. Neuroplasticity FTW, my friend.

Sarachaga likes this.
  3. Sarachaga

Thank you very much for the advice!
    You are right. I'll try something simpler. Perhaps it'll be easier to find motivation in this case :)

4. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

It's very sad that people give up because of issue of self esteem. Imagine the great artists that could have been and the amazing works we could have experienced that never came to be because of their need to be perfect. To be natural experts. The impossible high standards we give ourselves is so silly but so self crippling. Robert Louis Stevenson, who wrote "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde," was found in his study by his wife burning the first draft of the book. He asked before for her thoughts of it and she said "it could be more allegorical." That's it. That's all she said. And he burned all his hard work. Hang in there and be humble to yourself. You owe it to yourself.

Sarachaga likes this.
  5. Sarachaga

Thanks again that really helps :)
    My problem is that I am an overachiever. The goals I usually set for myself are most of the time unfeasible....hence the lack of motivation ^^

6. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

That is absolutely normal. Detrimental, but absolutely normal. And i think you have more motivation than you realize. You are going to school, you're traveling and indulging in hobbies on the side. You're going to do good in life. You seem pretty chill too. That is a fantastic attitude to have. Life is going to be wonderful for you.

EDit. Auh. oh. auh. It can be very not wonderful life by getting bit by one of those funnel web spiders. Don't leave your clothes on the floor. I hear they like that quite a lot. I don't know if that is true. I have learned to distrust everything I learned on TV during the 90's. Looking at you Killer Bee Apocalypse.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Sarachaga likes this.
  7. Siinna

Siinna I draw anthro, were and furry art

To get rid of that perfectionist thing and to solve the issue of practice: Set a TIME LIMIT. Does wonders, I promise. You won´t have the time to fuss too long over stuff because that clock keeps ticking. It really is the best method I´ve found.

For pixel art, I Think less is more, pixel art with too many details just looks too crowded imo. I would say do deliberate detail i e decide which parts are meant to be most important and you want someone to look at (Focal Points), and then don´t be afraid to leave some empty areas to let the eyes rest ;3 You save a metric ton of time too that way