A suggestion on blocking and being blocked.

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by DracosBlackwing, Oct 8, 2017.

1. DracosBlackwing

DracosBlackwing Exiled Prince

Recently I made a comment on a submission here. Today when I returned, I found that someone who had previously blocked me had replied to said comment. It was a rather snide reply, but I simply attempted to reply in kind, only to be reminded that person had blocked me.

Doesn't this seem like a bad concept? That someone could block another person, then continue to make comments to that person without their being able to reply?

My suggestion is this: When a person chooses to block someone, then they also are unable to either see or reply to said blocked person's comments or posts;

or When a person adds someone to their block list, then they are automatically added to that person's block list in kind, preventing anything like this from happening.

I have no real interest in having to deal with people who blocked me for whatever reason to then be able to follow me around FA, making unpleasant and uninvited replies to things they happen to come across me saying, and I'm pretty sure that's a universal feeling for anyone else who's been blocked.

Wolveon likes this.
  2. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

I've also seen the odd instance where you can still watch someone who's blocked you yet apparently have no privileges in adding any of their submissions to your favourites. All that the block function pretty much does, as currently implemented on FA, is apply a "Look but don't touch" blanket rule on the person who's blocked.
    I'd personally fine-tune the current block function to be limited to commentary on the blocker's profile, submissions and private messages; commentary elsewhere is not on the blocker's home turf and thus shouldn't belong as part of their undisputed domain, and your blacklist status shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not the blocked person actually likes the submission.

For now though, I'd say that you'd be justified in blocking them in kind to prevent further harassment of this sort. It's bad enough that the block function is poorly implemented as is, nevermind someone taking advantage of it and attacking you with impunity.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  3. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

You can't start watching someone who blocked you, but if you already were, yes, they'll stay on your watch list.

4. ChapterAquila92

Strange. I vaguely recall instances where a blocked individual was still able to add the blocker to their watch list after the block was implemented. From what else I recall, at least one of those instances also included the block removing the latter from the former's watch list. This was some time ago however, so I don't know how valid this still holds.

5. quoting_mungo

I can't recall offhand when the behavior of the block function was changed - at one point, yes, you could start watching (as well as favorite) content of a user who had blocked you. At this point this is no longer the case, and hasn't been for some time. Blocks on FA have never to my knowledge (if they did it would have been before my time) altered other users' watch lists.

6. ChapterAquila92

Was there any reason given as to why that change was made?

7. quoting_mungo

Some people ruining it for everyone, basically, by abusing the ability to still fave and watch to flood the blocker with notifications as a method of trolling.

8. Haru Totetsu

Haru Totetsu Member

The only solution here is to block them in return. I'd also suggest that you file a Trouble Ticket on the main site about the issue so at least the staff can be made aware of this individuals behaviour and if they carry it on to a certain extreme then that gives them more reason to suspend or ban them, should the need arise.

Isn't that always the case? The sad part is that the best solution doens't require such changes, but is incredibly time consuming, and costly to a website to focus on. Hence why all just make blocking more a way to cut someone off from interacting with you. I still pray for the day where we get multiple options when blocking someone. Though ion this case I think the simple act of just making it so when you block soemone you don't receive notifications from them when they do favourite your art. Doing so is more fun frankly since you know some trolls wouldn't know and would simply waste their time doing it for hours on end, thinking they're annoying someone...when they aren't.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  9. ChapterAquila92

I'd co-opt this shadow ban method.