Again, personal reasons are NOT allowed in threads

Discussion in 'Art Sales and Auctions' started by Kalmor, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Kalmor

Kalmor Banned

Even after the introduction of the moderated thread system, I still see people posting personal reasons for commissions in their threads. This is one of the bolded points in the black market rules, it's not that hard to miss.

Personal reasons include but are not limited to:

"I won't be able to pay my bills without your help!"

"EMERGENCY COMMISSIONS!"

"My dog needs urgent medical care! Help pay for it!"

"I'm moving soon! Commissions are the only way I can get money to pay the extra expenses! Commission me!"

All of the above and much, much more are not permitted. Keep those kinds of reasons in private, and really don't try to circumvent this rule by posting a direct link off site with the reasons...

There is ONE exception to this rule, and that is if all of the proceeds from your commissions go to CHARITY. Then you can say which charity it is and the work it does, ect, ect. That is the only time you're allowed to state such reasons.

And of course let's not forget our yellow notice at the top of this sub-forum:

But why not say I'm doing this for something personal?

1. It's really unprofessional, and we like to keep a professional atmosphere here in the black market. When a car salesman is trying to sell you a car, he/she doesn't say "Oh, I'm doing this to feed my family you know? I'm running low on money this month! Please buy this car!" No, stop that.

2. It's unfair to other artists that advertise here. Yup, it gets you the sympathy vote which other artists may not have. Personal reasons should not get in the way of a commissioner when deciding between artists to buy a $5 sketch from. The value for money, quality and style should be the deciding factors, not whether one artist is short on money for the month and one isn't.

3. The fact that you're taking commissions suggests that you need money anyway. Same as the car salesman. Of course he's doing it to feed him/herself (or of course his/her family) yet he/she doesn't say a word.

So yes, please read the rules here and save yourself a lot of hassle and delayed approvals - http://forums.furaffinity.net/announcement.php?f=15&a=48

- Raptros

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. Icky

Icky is the prettiest pony~

Not to mention it's a huge guilt trip for those of us unable to purchase commissions.

3. Kalmor

Kalmor Banned

True, true.

Thread is now sticky btw.

4. XoPachi

XoPachi Active Member

I see this a lot, like A LOT on DA.

I just think, holy fuck...

5. Spiderdragon

Spiderdragon Fury of the Dragonstorm

I'd suggest saving this stuff for journals since they're personal ways to express yourself to a watchbase.

Otherwise it's just wince-worthy because, well, it is a pretty big guilt-trip.
    Not to mention that you don't know how true it is.

6. Akimune

Akimune New Member

Ah oops, I didn't see this! ^^'
    Not used of the forum... I will have to make a new thread the other one will surely be denied as I said why I needed help! x.x;

And if we link to our journal info and there is the personal reason why we'd need help it's bad too then? D=
    Will delete all those. @.@;

Sorry for my mistake! It's the first one and last one. xD;

7. Tailmon1

Tailmon1 Fennec World dominance!

See enough of it on FA in the auctions. Posting it on your page or journal is much better and more
    personal an professional in my view.

8. Oops! I just submitted one where I mentioned going to art school- but I just meant it as a passing thing, not a reason to commission me. :/ Are you able to delete certain parts of posts before you upload them?

9. Sparrow-the-Wolfess

Sparrow-the-Wolfess Commission Work: Short Story Writer

Personally... I don't care WHY people need commissions... I only care if I'm getting my money's worth and my expectations reached, if the artist in question is kind and patient, and if I don't get ripped off.

As a commissioner myself... I only give a reason if someone asks me why I choose this over a... haha-heh... "real job".

Don't even get me started on how commissioning can be considered a "real job". There's no character limit in replies right now, but I don't want to be the inspiration for one.

10. DarinNWolf

DarinNWolf Member

Whoop! Almost made that mistake! Wont do it again.

11. uccellacci

uccellacci New Member

currently i have in my commission info that all money goes to benefit a friend. i don't mention it for sympathy, but because it makes the payment a bit different in that commissioners have to send it to her paypal and show me a screenshot for proof of payment. is mentioning this allowed?

12. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Moderator Staff Member

It's fine to say that the money will be going to someone else, as long as you're not including the details of why, and as long as you are the one producing the commission.

This rule may change in the future, but in the past the section was being buried in an excessive number of completely unverfifiable 'losing my apartment' or 'getting medical treatment' threads.

Staff totally understand those situations happen, but it had gradually become both unprofessional, and also potentially somewhat scam-ish.

uccellacci likes this.
  13. DaakuJasumiin11

DaakuJasumiin11 New Member

No one is forced to commission an artist if they don't have money, by sharing their art or journal is quite enough.

14. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Moderator Staff Member

Please keep reply dates in mind. You quoted a user's post from 2013, and the user hasn't been seen since last year.