Age of consent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aleksion, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Age of consent

1. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 12

4.5%
  4. 13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 14

4.5%
  6. 15

1.5%
  7. 16

33.3%
  8. 18

53.0%
  9. 21

1.5%
  10. When it bleeds

1.5%
  1. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

Seems about right for the middle east
    South America I do not approve of
    Canada I never knew. I honestly always thought it was 18 but apparently it is 16. Prior to that it was 14.

That ain't right but then again we've been on a downwards spiral for a while

She does technically have a point.

Paedophilia is generally 12 or under, but hebephilia is pubescent children aged 11 - 14. If I'm not mistaken there's another term which breaks up another age group of 1 - 6 (?) but that is more correctly paedophilia as well

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Fallowfox

Fallowfox T-Tauri

Aleksion argued that the age of consent should be 12, so your definitions imply that it is both paedophilia and hebephilia advocacy anyway.
    I feel that splitting hairs over this is a semantic distraction anyway. It's not like changing the word for Aleksion's beliefs is going to make them any more or less disgusting.

I'm going to reply to this to succinctly explain why sexual relationships between children and adults are wrong for the benefit of any 13 or 14 year olds reading this post, because I know there are users this age on the website.

As children who are soon going to become young adults, you will be presented with new feelings that you aren't sure how to respond to, like sexual attraction.
    You are not yet equipped with the appropriate experience and knowledge to make informed decisions about sexual relationships, which could result in an unwanted pregnancy, injury, infection, emotional distress or even death.
    Hence adults who use their positions of authority, for example as teachers, to seek sexual relationships with you are in breach of the duty of care they should have towards you.
    It doesn't matter how important an adult might seem. If they make sexual advances towards you or your friends, you need to tell a family member, another teacher, or failing that, the police or a child protection service.

JohnnyLobo, katalistik and Sogreth like this.
  3. Sogreth

Sogreth Local Cuddle Bear and Wannabe Writer

I don't think Alek understands that an adult/teacher can easily convince as 12 year old student to make them "think" they want it. Not saying it's right to do that, obviously. Just saying, at 12 years old, as you pointed out:
    "You are not yet equipped with the appropriate experience and knowledge to make informed decisions about sexual relationships"
    But Alek still seems to think that it's alright for a 30-40 year old to have sex with a 12 year old. When the adult can just be easily taking advantage of the young child.

And it also just makes me believe that Alek is just a huge troll.

Thanks for proving my point, bud.

4. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

Can you explain how it works? I really want to learn it. And how it differs from adults

5. Sogreth

Sogreth Local Cuddle Bear and Wannabe Writer

I'm not getting anymore involved with you, Alek ^.^
    I know a terrible troll when I see one. I said my bit, and now I'm headin' out.

6. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

The middle east (with the exception of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen and Oman) is actually surprisingly normal I thought. They are mainly around the 16-18 range with Iran being at 13, which is a bit low, but Spain and Japan are the same.

Personally I think that an age of consent of 16 is quite normal and acceptable. So, I'm not too convinced that it's wrong for Canada to have it at that age. That said, I wouldn't suggest that 16 year olds have sex, but I don't think it's too controversial for it to be legal for them to do it at that age. I do think that some of the European countries and Japan which have their age set at below 16 is a bit questionable though.

WolfyJake likes this.
  7. Fallowfox

Fallowfox T-Tauri

So the child welfare act in Japan actually forbids any sex with somebody under 18, and most prefectures have exceptions for 'puppy-love' relationships between teenagers.
    Ages of consent in Asia - Wikipedia

As of 2015 the Spanish age of consent is 16.
    Ages of consent in Europe - Wikipedia

JohnnyLobo likes this.
  8. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

JohnnyLobo and Fallowfox like this.
  9. Sergei Sóhomo

It's more the lower areas that people rail on for most things, though I do get your point of the upper areas as well. Granted I will admit I'm surprised to see Saudi Arabia of all places actually has that at a good place.

Canada is slowly losing it with the people we have in places like the House of Commons and the Minister of Immigration

No comment on Japan. I don't hear nor study about them nor know what the hell puppy love even means
    Spain seems a bit too light in their punishment

Pretty much. Mostly just saying that Mungo did have a point about the definitions

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. Arcturus Maple

Arcturus Maple Enigmatic Anomaly

In my area in the US, many people have had sex by age fourteen, but a large number have not done anything of the sort by age eighteen. Myself, age 22 and never had sex, by choice and misfortune (no one shared a mutual attraction, though there was enough one-sided attraction both ways). A lot of it comes down to whether or not you can find the right person, and how long it takes you to find them.

I don't see what age has to do with it, as many people over the age of eighteen aren't responsible, informed on the subject, or sensible. Likewise, many people far younger are strong individuals in their own right who seek out knowledge for themselves, are motivated by their own goals and wants, and are fully cognizant and accepting of there being consequences to their actions.

Regardless of the logical conclusion that age does not necessarily bring wisdom and an arbitrary age of consent is illogical, we do not live in an idyllic world, and age of consent laws exist because there are unscrupulous individuals out there who would take advantage of someone. Such people are scum and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The need for protection from such people is more an abusive relationship issue, though, and could function equally well if the same criteria for identifying toxic, controlling relationships were used to help the victim. Such a change is unlikely to ever happen, as Americans tend to hold on to old puritanical ideals long after the framework around them has faded away. And while I think this part of the legal system needs reform, I still firmly believe the law should be followed until it is changed.

11. Fallowfox

Fallowfox T-Tauri

'Puppy love' is an expression used by English speakers; it just means teenagers who are in love.
    It usually carries the tacit value judgement that young people's love is heartfelt, but ultimately not very meaningful.
    For example a man might dismiss his daughter's infatuation with her boyfriend as 'just puppy love'.
    Same thing as Romeo and Juliet laws...I just prefer the expression 'puppy love' because you know...Romeo and Juliet killed themselves.

I'm not sure that the age of consent is a 'Puritanical American' notion, because almost every country on Earth has an age of consent, even countries which are notoriously sexually liberal, such as the Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries.

I agree that any abusers in toxic relationships should be liable to prosecution, and I think almost every country already has laws which aim to achieve this; the age of consent is just part of those laws.

12. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

omg someone voted for 12! You see I'm not crazy.
    I think it's mostly a fruit of bad parenting where children are not allowed to think for themselves and thus can be easily taken advantage of later in life, including adulthood.

13. Wither

Wither Is honestly confused by life.

words no sane man has ever muttered

JohnnyLobo likes this.
  14. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 The night is my solace; the day is my prime

Oh, sh*t. I guess you're learning after all. Don't worry, I'll get to the other thread- I was muted most of last night

15. loiloiloi

loiloiloi New Member

Better poll idea, is Alek a troll?

16. Sergei Sóhomo

I mean if people can't differentiate then I pity them

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  17. Crimson_Steel17

Probably
    At that point, it's a poll taking opinion rather than determination by definition. And it gives us an idea of why he still doesn't seem to have been muted, timed out, or the subject of any other form of disciplinary action. It seems that he visits threads with the sole intention of inflaming them to the point of closure- and this effectively prevents meaningful discussion of important topics

18. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Well-Known Member

If you think another user is a troll, you know where the report button is. Derailing threads by smacktalking other users is not the mature way of handling the situation.

19. Crimson_Steel17

Yes, ma'am

Just one question: if you report someone, and it turns out you were wrong and they're just horribly misinformed, does the person who filed the report face any consequences? For me, that question is a major deterrent from that button...

JohnnyLobo likes this.
  20. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

I'm not a troll, but I would be lying if I said I don't like to occasionally stir things up. However I really do hold some very unusual believes and I want to share them with someone.

21. Fallowfox

Fallowfox T-Tauri

Regrettably some 13 year olds might not be able to tell the difference, which is why presenting joke justifications for sex between adults and children to them isn't a responsible idea.
    In addition, there is a real risk of predators masquerading as trolls, so that they can seek out children who would be responsive to grooming, while avoiding repudiation from adult users.

22. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

wow I look smarter than I actually am! I already have one victim on my pedoradar here hehe :3

23. PoptartPresident

PoptartPresident A teen chatter box

I am convinced this poll was specifically made to provoke someone here because why would the hell would a little kid want to have sex at such a young age...
    We're not pioneers. We should not be encouraging sex with 12-15 year olds. Why? Because back in those OLD days, the low population was a cause of concern.

It's the main reason why most people back in the day encouraged reproduction with extremely young girls. They needed to keep the population up and running as much as they could. Especially since disease and the average lifespan being 40-50 was the main factor of deaths.

But modern studies have shown that those kind of behaviors are very unhealthy. Nowadays we have modern medicine to keep us alive longer, and now the population is way too big for the Earth to handle.

In fact, I discourage sex with anyone under 18. We don't need more babies being born. We need less of them.
    But the truth is, the government is smart, and knows that hormones are going to control the teenagers over basic laws. So in some areas of the world, that kind of policy is very variable.

But in the United States, it's widely agreed that somewhere around 16,17, and 18 is a good age for consent.

But let's not forget.
    You still need consent, no matter the age.

24. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

Most people don't have sex for reproduction purposes. Interesting enough Europe has significantly lower teen pregnancy rates than the US despite having lower age of consent

25. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

A part of that is sex ed I feel....
    US has shit sex ed.