Allergic to wi-fi? How does it affect you?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by perkele, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
?

Do you have EHS?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    94.4%
  1. perkele

perkele Active Member

I just found out this was a thing, and that I have it. Shock and horror.

EHS (electronics hyper sensitivity) is a condition where you get headaches and stomach nausea when you're near a wireless connection; for me it feels kind of like having a little bit of coffee and sleeping pills at the same time. Specifically, I have a hard time with 802.11n wireless.

I'm curious if other people have this problem, and if so, how does it affect you? How do you deal with it?

2. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

No offense, but from your description I'm preeeeeetty sure you've self-diagnosed a psychosomatic symptom.

Don't do that. It's bad for your health.

3. Jinx34

Jinx34 New Member

I'm also real sorry, but basically all research has concluded that it's a psychological thing, not an actual physical illness.
    Some people take it to extreme lengths, claiming that any electromagnetic radiation (apart from visible light I guess) hurts them, living their lives in isolation, surrounded by tinfoil and makeshift faraday cages, as they genuinly believe that exposure will kill them. It's no joking matter, and I'm certainly not belittling you for it, but you should probably talk to someone about this, perhaps even take some blind tests yourself. For instance; can you tell whether it's a 2.4 or 5GHz network? Does one hurt less than the other? Can you tell when the AP has been shutdown/turned on without actually seeing it or someone else telling you?

I promise you that the tiny amount of harmless radiation that a wireless AP shoves at you does absolutely nothing to your body, if anything the massive amounts of radiation from all over the spectrum that nature constantly bombards you with should be far worse

news.bbc.co.uk: BBC NEWS | Health | Phone mast allergy 'in the mind'

Rant likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

This reminds of me of the scene from the movie Johnny Mnemonic where Henery Rollins is talking about "The Black Spot". Here's the video for reference.

Now while there is a lot of spectulation on whether or not wireless technologies are harmful, whether it be from the 2.4GHz frequency band coming from your microwave or wireless phone, you have to remember that a lot of testing goes into them to ensure they're safe for public use.

As suggested above, try some blind tests to help rule out if it's actually the wireless device that's the culprit or a psychosomatic response.

jtf78 likes this.
  5. Valery91Thunder

Valery91Thunder Your Average Cartoony Wolf!

Wow, first time I see Johnny Mnemonic being quoted somewhere. I was starting to think I was the only person alive who had seen that movie! xD

6. Simo

Simo Skunk

I am happy this exists. Is there any means of spreading the condition, so that more and more suffer from it? I am going to have to look into this fiendish plan...

PlusThirtyOne likes this.
  7. jtf78

jtf78 New Member

Nice joke, I hope you're joking. I've seen so many people on the internet taking this too seriously, some of them even told me that wifi is radioactive and I should get rid of all routers in my house.

Simo likes this.
  8. real time strategist

real time strategist "What's an airport, again?"

Welp it's time to create the historical sequel to the dark ages!

9. Nastala

Nastala nerd

This is very much a placebo. The human body simply does not have the capability to detect radio waves in any way. The only organ plausibly capable of "feeling" wifi is the eyes, and the lowest visible frequency is about 200 times higher than that of wifi. If you didn't know the wifi was there then you really wouldn't feel anything. I'm not saying the effects you feel aren't real, because they probably are. They're just caused by something else, whether it's medicine or caffeine or (more likely) your own mind. Your mind can be more deceiving than you think, and in some cases believing comes before seeing. Clickbait is a dangerous trap.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  10. redhusky

redhusky Active Member

How HORRIBLE!

Nastala likes this.
  11. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

You're fine. The supposed "allergy" to wifi or other wireless technology is utter crap. Any feelings of dizziness, nausea, whatever is all in your head. There's wifi signals in literally EVERY business, schools, most homes, inside and outside. There's no escape so unless you're experiencing symptoms all the time, i would wager your diagnosis is full of shit. if you ARE experiencing symptoms like those often or all the time, wifi isn't your problem.

UPDATE: Godammit! i KNEW the OP sounded familiar! Necro alert!

12. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

I'm allergic to not having Wifi. Of all the things that frustrate me, bad wifi is literally #1.

I already lived through the "dark ages" of internet service. No need for it again.

Butt_Ghost likes this.
  13. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

lol I cant help but have a hard time buying into this...

14. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Haha, reminds me of Better Call, Saul...the spinoff series for Breaking Bad. Essentially Saul's brother had that and it was kind of an interesting and humorous character trait!