Allow 2-letter words in search queries

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Bloatable, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Bloatable

Bloatable Puff-a-yosh

With the current search setup, it only accepts words with 3 or more letters (which is fine in most cases). However, when looking for specific characters, who may have 1 or 2-letter words in their name, it makes it difficult to find them.

For example, searching for "Bowser Jr" only shows results for "Bowser", since "Jr" is only 2 letters. I could search for "Bowser Junior", but that isn't how his name is written, and therefore not how art of him is usually tagged.

tl;dr, allow search for all terms regardless of word length, with some exceptions (like AND, OR, NOT)

2. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

I can see where this could present an issue, as I have just tried myself to search those terms and found the same issue, and as far as I know there is no known workaround for it.

I don't see why FA couldn't add "jr" as a whitelisted 2 letter search term to the engine. I do understand the reasoning for not allowing sub 3 letter terms to be searched, but admittedly there are issues with name based terms, even "Mr" can be blocked in this fashion.

I could suggest filing a TT under the "Report a Bug" section and requesting this feature be added, even link back to this thread for further text, as it does have a genuine use as an addition.