Anime!!!!

Discussion in 'TV, Video, and Film' started by light tear drop, Mar 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nova Scarlett

Nova Scarlett "If Music Be the food of love, Play on"!

I'm currently watching Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma! I'll be finishing Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club in the coming months. I also, watch Ace Attorney. and I'm catching up on Attack on Titan.

2. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

That was actually one of the shows that got me into anime. I thought it was pretty good, so I ended up watching both the 1999 and 2011 versions.

3. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

Ghost in the Shell is one of the few animes that I got sucked up in. Brings up pretty interesting philosophical questions.

4. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

What about Yoshiaka Kawajari? any thoughts on his stuff?

5. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% Weaponized Autism

You seen all of it? There are several series and movies you can pick up.

Psycho-Pass is a good series too. Dark, but good.

6. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

I've seen Stand Alone Complex, Second Gig, and the '95 movie. Some of the more recent stuff I haven't seen though. Anime is something I got into very late, and very slowly, there is a very good portion of Anime that just comes across as superficial thus uninteresting to me, so sometimes it is difficult to find truly good anime imo. I am admittedly not very well versed and at times very picky with it though. I'll take the recommendation into consideration though.

7. McStuffy

McStuffy New Member

Yeah, I can't wait for season 2. ^_^
    Yurio was the best character on the show.

8. CCTakato

CCTakato New Member

Of course I have to mention that another one of my fav anime is Polar Bear Cafe which is where my avatar is from. Is anyone else here a fan of it?

9. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Not a master craftsman in terms of plot, but he is a freaking amazing animator on a purely technical level.

10. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Personally I really like Shaft as a company. Some of its works include Bakemonogatari, Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Mekakucity Actors, which are all pretty great.

Also, the neck tilts are truly glorious.

[​IMG]

Mandragoras likes this.
  11. Mandragoras

It's rare to meet someone who actually liked Mekakucity Actors without irony, but having never seen it myself I can't judge, and I'm more curious than anything else.

This being said... the Bakemonogatari franchise is maybe my favourite anime meta-series ever. It's just this delicious onions of interpretations, intentions and ideas, with characters who seem shallow until you realise that you've been reading them in a shallow way all along, and plots which aren't really there yet resonate with their apparent absence. It's the embodiment of negative space in narrative with touches of striking character drama and warped hilarity and wild visuals, and I love it to pieces.

Lcs likes this.
  12. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% Weaponized Autism

Bakemonogatari is a series/franchise whose "plot" is character interaction rather than action/shit going on. Have for some reason only watched the first season myself, even if I have a lot more stashed on my HDD.

13. Mandragoras

Oh, I agree, I'm just trying to say that what people typically think of as non-plot elements of story—dialogue, character, tone, theme—are what make the plot happen. It's like a sculpture which looks like random pieces of metal until you look at just the right angle and it's a perfect face staring right at you. There is more of a conventional plot which coalesces as it goes on, but it grows within and from that structure and reinforces it rather than alters it.

You really need to get deeper in. People criticise Nisemonogatari for being excessive (and the second arc gets very, very silly) but "Karen Bee" is one of the sharpest extended metaphors for emotional jealousy and teenage sexual anxiety I've seen in a television show, or maybe even popular media at large, and Second Season, Hana and Owari just keep upping the ante in terms of quality.

Yakamaru likes this.
  14. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I saw Mekakucity a while ago, so I don't fully remember it. That said, I still recall enjoying it.

Yeah, bakemonogatari was one of my favourites as well.

15. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Sounds a lot like Serial Experiments Lain, actually (which is a compliment, of course)

Sadly, Puella Magi Madoka Magica was one of those shows that I had a ton of expectations for, but in the end result, didn't like it very much. While the premise was truly interesting, something just felt off about this show for me - many dramatic situations between primary characters happened in result of them not being able to just communicate with each other properly, and at points it felt like said characters tried to be as emotional and edgy in their conversations as possible, sacrificing common sense in process (like, try to rewatch conversation between Kyoko and Sayaka in the church, it's just too unnatural and contrived for "two underaged girls talking about screw-ups"), and while delivery of important plot points is indeed very good, the pacing in general is kind of all over the place, with many reused pieces of information (like when the show tries to remind the viewer 3 or 4 times that Kyosuke is indeed a violin prodigy who can't play his instrument ever again, conveying pretty much the same plotline with every new scene) and lengthy conversations that don't move plot forward or seem to add anything to it at all .з. Maybe I'm just being a nag, and I can easily see why so many people like PMMM, but I don't know, maybe I just watched it in a wrong way or something.

Lcs likes this.
  16. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

I suppose what I liked about the show was that it was entirely different from what I had presumed it would be like. I was initially introduced to it by a friend, though I had low expectations based on the first couple of episodes, but the eventual change in mood made me hooked.

Perhaps I'll look back and see some of the conversations again. Now that you've pointed it out, I'm kind of curious.

17. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Hah, I can see that c: I would say it's some kind of "hype deflation" that resulted in Madoka Magica being sort of a product of its time, for lack of better words. Just like with Undertale or Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion, if making comparisons - it may be pretty shocking to see those games
    screwing with your savestates
    or
    trying to murder the hell out of you after half an hour of pretending to be an innocent parody game
    , but once you know the trick behind them, it's just not as fun as it could be if it was something you didn't knew already. By the point I watched PMMM by myself, its main twist was already discussed to hell and back to the point of becoming an anime meme, just like Spike's fate in Cowboy Bebop - I guess that heavily contributed to me not liking the show that much .з.

Lcs likes this.
  18. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust are amazing eh?

19. Vespien_Fauhx

Vespien_Fauhx Vespi-chan

Any Boku no Hero academia fans?

Lcs likes this.
  20. Mandragoras

I was thinking Wicked City but Ninja Scroll is one hell of a thing.
    I liked it for what it did in other ways, personally. I watched it about a year after the first episode originally aired and the hype had died off enough that the whole "this show gets dark right quick" thing was common knowledge and "Kyuubey is a dick" was only a little behind it. I wasn't completely spoiled but I went in expecting a solid, dark magical girl warrior show, and... I got more than I expected.

As for Undertale, I don't think novelty is the main appeal there *at all,* but that deserves its own topic.

21. cielph

cielph New Member

The most brain hacking I've ever seen.

22. cielph

cielph New Member

Does anyone love to see Ansassination Classroom?

ellaerna and Vespien_Fauhx like this.
  23. Mandragoras

Not sure it's my cup of tea but a good friend of mine is very into it from reading the manga. He's got good taste but is far more tolerant of certain shounen action tropes than I am.

24. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Found an anime with some anthro animals called WorldEnd: Are you busy? Will you save us? The characters and some of the plot are kind of generic, which is unfortunate, but the anthros are very much redeeming, at least to me. I'm only on episode 3, but I think it's alright so far.

Thought it was worth mentioning given what kind of forum this is.

light tear drop likes this.
  25. chirchri

chirchri Member

An excellent shounen manga/anime touching upon various genres, it has action, analysis, character development, and high-level detailing. It is an exciting manga/anime which is pretty unpredictable.