Another Driving Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maximor_Bloodpanda, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Maximor_Bloodpanda

Maximor_Bloodpanda The True Anti-Conformist

Hey, don't look at me like that, a lot of morons here make many threads on the same damn topic.

Also, by posting here, you agree to the risk of having your pride destroyed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When it comes to getting around, driving is the most common option, there is no way of getting around it (unless you use public transportation). The trip can be fun, or it can be a total pain in the ass.

I didn't ask directly before about some things on previous threads, but I want to know more about what kinds of drivers we have here.

What car do you drive?
    What is your driving mentality (aggressive, laid-back, etc.)?
    How good are you at driving?
    How do you deal with asshole drivers?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll go first.

I drive a first generation Mercedes M-Class 2004 SUV. I originally was going to drive an old Dodge, but we got the Mercedes from a deal that we couldn't pass up on. I'm pretty close to my car.
    I try to enjoy the trips on the road, I usually have fun. I'm considerate of other drivers since that's what I want from them.
    I feel like I'm an exceptional driver. I have a lot of experience with all the long distance driving I've done and I have great reflexes that have saved me from shitty drivers. I give myself a 10/10
    I prefer to avoid asshole drivers, but when I can't, then I bring out the middle finger, and it's totally worth it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway, what have you got to say? Also, tell me if you have any interesting driving experiences.

2. rekcerW

rekcerW New Member

2016 f250 Lariat crew cab 6.2l
    I try to be as courteous as possible and try to let traffic keep moving without being an obstruction.
    Its a ~600km trip to work every week, so I definitely do enough of it.
    I can't stand idiots on the road, it really, really fucking irritates me. Being cut-off; pulled in front of without looking; being passed and then 10min later passing the person that just passed me over and over; swerved at because somebody is too fucking involved with their bullshit text message; blinded by high beams on a 2 lane road; people that can't pick 1 speed to travel at; people that go all the way down to the end of a line-up of traffic when flow is reduced to 1 lane just to get a better spot in line; people that actually let those assholes in; god, the list goes on and on and on....

Maximor_Bloodpanda likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

Not sure how people are "morons" for making similar threads or how "destroying" ones pride is relevant to this topic, but OK.

Anyway, to the questions at hand:

What car do you drive?
    A '99 Ford Falcon.

Assertive. As in, not aggressive but I don't dick around on the road either.

Good enough to feel confident at it.

I don't. I never know if there is a bigger psycho behind the wheel than me, and being aggressive can cause accidents.

As for interesting driving stories, I have been in one major head-on collision. Nuff said.

Hope that answers all of your questions...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  4. FoxInTheCloset

FoxInTheCloset The Over Caffeinated Vulpine

What car do you drive?
    A 2009 Dodge Caliber srt4, 300 Hp of fun.

Assertive and defensive. I just watch for bad drivers and make sure I'm not gonna be hit by them

Rather good.

Drop gear, dump clutch and floor it. I don't have to deal with them if I'm no where near them.

DuranWolf and Maximor_Bloodpanda like this.
  5. Alpine

Alpine The best Renault

Car
    Ford Focus. 2600 lbs of meh. Handles well though and will start in -40° weather fine. Planning on importing a JDM next year or so.

Driving Style
    Quite aggressive, but patient. Although I've done my fair share of dumb stuff, I try to avoid the really idiotic stuff (like running red lights). I despise lollygagging acceleration, but my car isn't very quick so I tend to not floor it often on lights, pretty much on occasions like entering the highway (because no one likes that one guy that tries to merge going 35 when everyone's going double that).

How good?
    One must define "good" because it's highly subjective. Not crashing my car into others: pretty good. Turning at double the recommended limit: good. Abiding by every single law: terrible (that's no fun).

Asshole Drivers
    The biggest asshole drivers get the finger (outside of the window finger too). I've done my fair share of asshole moves myself, so I don't sweat the small stuff. It's dumb stuff that's likely going to cause a collision that gets me angry.

6. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

What car do you drive?
    1997 Ford F250 Heavy Duty 4X4. Standard cab, long bed, 7.5L V8, Auto trans, 4.10 gears. Currently shod with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 235/85R-16's

I try to keep with the flow but I do not drive aggressively. However, stay the F out of my way. Plate steel bumpers reinforce that position.

I'm an old fart, remember? Several million miles of driving under my belt. I've had a few accidents but what do you expect? I've driven a few cars to death and we don't let one go until it has at least 100K on the clock. I think I would consider myself a professional driver.

I let my truck deal with them, for the most part. Most people change their mind when they see the big plate steel bumpers they are trying to argue with. If you ask nicely, I'll let you in. Try to push your way in, no bueno. I see those @$$holes every day, weaving in and out just to be behind me again at the next light. Just last Sunday, some 'tard in a last generation GTO decided to cut around me in the rain. He almost lost it, then a mile or so later, I found him on his lid in the opposing lane. Most of the time I just sigh, then put the relevant 'tard on my mental watch list.

7. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

i drive an '04 domestic dirty piece of shite. (sport model)
    My driving alignment is lawful evil.
    i'm currently a lvl.20 wheel mage who specializes in defense.
    So far i've managed to avoid too many asshole drivers.
    i drive defensively but i'm not afraid to break a few laws (like sidewalks) to get where i need to be. That said, i've never gotten a ticket.

8. LycanTheory

LycanTheory Free to good home.

2004 Nissan Xterra. Manual transmission, black, Treadright Guard Dog 265/75/16s, Volant CAI, custom exhaust.

Country roads/highway - laid back

City - Defensive

Off-road - like I stole it!

I'm an old street racer that gave up because high speed and high horsepower costs too much but I've still got a fair amount of skill behind the wheel. Never been in an accident with another vehicle that was my fault (been rear-ended a few times). I have crashed so that's essentially where I've learned what NOT to do but all those incidents were on desolate roads with nothing but trees and fields on either side.

How do I deal with asshole drivers? Depends on my mood. Usually the good ol one finger salute works best.

9. aloveablebunny

aloveablebunny All hail the Almighty Floof!

- A 2017 Acura ILX. My third car, I love it, I've had it 4 days ^_^

- I am an attentive/reactive driver - I pay attention to what people are doing around me, and react accordingly. Normally my goal when driving is to get from point A to point B quickly, but not so quickly that I act like a fool on the roads.

- I like to think I am a good driver. I've never been in an accident, although I've had someone run into me when I was backing out in a parking lot (I could not see them/they decided to keep driving even though I kept reversing) and some stoned college kid love-tap me when I was leaving a restaurant. No significant damage and no issues with my driving record. I've only gotten one speeding ticket in my 6+ years of driving. I pay attention to signs, use my turn signals, and take note of driving conditions and adjust accordingly.

- If someone is tailgating me, I WILL brake-check them if they are too close, or leave them behind a slow car if I can. If someone cuts me off intentionally, I will honk and/or throw on my brights. If someone rides merge lanes to the end and then thinks it's cool to cut in line, I do my best to not let them do that. I don't like to encourage asshole behavior, but I also do not let myself be pushed around on the road either.

Maximor_Bloodpanda likes this.
  10. Maximor_Bloodpanda

Yeah, it sucks man. Way to point out almost everything wrong with other drivers.

rekcerW likes this.
  11. Maximor_Bloodpanda

It's a disclaimer in case anyone loses their shit and wants to sue me.

12. Maximor_Bloodpanda

[​IMG]
    I couldn't resist.

13. Maximor_Bloodpanda

Cop didn't see it, you didn't do it.

14. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

if i motorist hits a parked car and no one is around to see it, does it make a dent?

15. Kellan Meig'h

[​IMG]
    No, I drive a Gen 9 OBS F250HD. This was just after I purchased it, before the plate bumpers and tires. former Nevada State Department Of Transportation vehicle. Has 160K miles on it now.

16. rekcerW

rekcerW New Member

Is that a recent pic because holy shit that's clean. That 460 has to be a pig though, especially on 4:10s.

I get 18.9 l/100km (14.5ish mpg) with that diff and a 6.2l.

17. Kellan Meig'h

That was about 6 years ago, I'm guessing. It's still that clean. I do take care of my toys.

Around town, I get 9-ish miles per gallon(!) and around 12 miles per gallon on the freeway, using the speed control. that's empty or full, makes no difference.

The big thing is it will tow 12,500 lbs with 2,00 lbs in the bed legally and it will stripe the pavement at will.

I have owned a few 4X4 trucks or SUV's but this is the first with fuel injection. I can't imagine how bad the mileage would be with a carburetor. My 1973 International Harvester 1/3 ton pickup got far worse with a SV-345 CID V8. It had a tiny by some standards 350 CFM Holley 2bbl.

18. rekcerW

rekcerW New Member

Haha you aren't kidding calling yourself an old fart, then!

Not too often you get to see a '97 in that shape, though. That's a nice set of wheels for sure. Speaking of wheels, how are you liking those Duratrac's? I had a 10ply set on my '09 half ton and they were great, got damn near 120,000 km out of them, but they didn't last worth a shit on my old 3/4. Soon as they saw gravel they chewed right up. That was a '99 with a 7.3... Fucking bulletproof, nothing to look at, I paid $3500 for it, but man that thing was indestructible. Even took an accidental tour into the ditch in a blizzard and it still dug its way out wide open for a long time trying to get back over the shoulder without any issues (though the turbo never sounded the same, mechanic couldn't find anything, weird).

I'm looking at a set of K02's for this new truck, they're a nice looking set of skins, and they're pretty kickass on our tool trucks on the jobsite

19. Kellan Meig'h

For the record, Wrangler Duratracs are an expensive, fickle thing. Great on pavement, 4X4's in California/Nevada don't need chains in winter most of the time because they are a severe weather tire but they check out at the slightest thought of going off-road on gravel.

I suspect the reason for the rapid wear on gravel is the softness of the tread face. They have to be soft to be an extreme weather tire.That same softness is a hindrance on anything abrasive. I have disconnected the sway bars and went on the easy trails at Hollister OHV State Park. The Duratrac worked flawlessly. Up in the Sierras, I found a few gravel trails. You could watch the tread wear down. Some guy at Hollister got a Heep YK stuck, high centered so he asked me to pull him over the crown of the trail. I ended up pulling his front bumper off his Heep. He was not happy.

They are great tires with the exception of that caveat.

20. rekcerW

rekcerW New Member

They don't seem to chew up as bad on a 1/2 ton with regular rotations, even on gravel. They did manage to spit a rock into and punch a hole through my brake light, though :p

They are wicked in the winter, that's for sure.

Definitely picking these up next, though. www.tirerack.com: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2