Anthros meet the Furry Fandom. What Happens?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChapterAquila92, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Spinning off of another thread revolving around what would happen if we encountered anthropomorphic animals IRL, one topic brought up in that discussion was the impact such an encounter would have regarding the Fandom itself. As a writer who has an interest in what might happen in that scenario, I find it to be lacking in modern fantasy and near-future sci-fi featuring human-anthro relations (especially in settings that are "as IRL but with X added"), and even when it's brought up in fiction it's usually glossed over without much thought given to it.

I'm also bring it up as a bit of shameless self-promotion for a setting I've been working on for a long while, wherein twelve people are involuntarily turned into anthros via nano-augmentation in a near-future setting and are left to cope with the aftermath while trying to live as normal a life as possible. Tangential to the main arc of their story, among the many groups interested in their being is none other than the Fandom, of which the main characters have checkered opinions given the circumstance of their condition.

And with that, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. What do you think might happen if the Furry Fandom ever came face to face with actual anthros?

2. Sarcastic Coffeecup

Sarcastic Coffeecup Hand. Cannot. Erase.

"Eww these people are creepy. Let's stay far away from obsessed weirdos"

3. RuffusTheLynx

RuffusTheLynx Pff... just a casual lynx...

If real anthros meet the furry fandom, then the furry fandom will instantaneously die.
    I heard about some scientists want to make real anthros with biotechnology but i think that could be catasthrophic at global level.

4. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

Oh cool then we could marry our pets. LOL.

5. Scales42

Scales42 MLG Snake

Reminds me of the novel "Island of dr. Moreau" so yeah, I have to agree that this is a bad idea :D

Sarachaga likes this.
  6. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% Weaponized Autism

It would depend on who they meet in the fandom itself. This fandom have a decent amount of loonies in it, and I wouldn't be surprised that they'd hate the fandom itself if they met one such.. Unique individual. Or several.

Knowing what social behaviour is acceptable and knowing social and personal boundaries, are important key factors in how they will react to the fandom at large. Anyone with common sense wouldn't go "AAAAAH, ANTHROS!" and go up to them and hug them. They are in fact another sentient species, and should be treated as such. You are to greet them properly and with respect. You are to treat them like any other stranger, and you are to behave yourself there after. If the topic ever comes up, talk about anthropomorphic animals and the fandom surrounding it. If not, do not force the issue.

It plays a lot on you as a person and how you act, behave and think in a social setting with someone you don't know.

7. Starbeak

Starbeak Sent from Space, resides on Earth.

:)

If Anthros met the Furry Fandom, it would be weird for them and they would be confused and probably curious.

Sure some might be cool with the whole idea of Humans dressing up like another animals or species, they might find it flattering in a way. Others might take total offense to it (Like one race disguising themselves as another race wearing make-up to be said race). It also could be possible for Anthropomorphic Beings that they could want the entire fandom to be only for them and any human that dresses like them is to cease-and-desist. Another option is embrace the fact that the Fandom is a thing and they might try to dress up like Humans and make Human masks lol, or they could just go as themselves and throw on some clothes to blend in with the Fandom xD

:)

Simo and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  8. Mabus

Mabus Well-Known Woofer

Sounds like my slice of hell xP
    (Jk i read the book and watched the terrible movie)

9. ChapterAquila92

I'm not overly convinced by it potentially being a global catastrophe. Definitely an ethical crisis for sure, but not something that'll cause the gears of society to come screeching to a halt or devastate our biosphere.

Alas, companions the creator seeks...

RuffusTheLynx likes this.
  10. Scales42

Scales42 MLG Snake

yes, the movie definitely needs to be remade.

Mabus likes this.
  11. Mabus

Mabus Well-Known Woofer

PLEASE xD

12. RuffusTheLynx

RuffusTheLynx Pff... just a casual lynx...

Yeah, but i'm sure that something like everyone on the world will become vegan or something, because... you know, if anthros exists, you would eat an animal? that's very weird. Or in the worst case, probably could become: " World War 3 : The battle of furries" xD

connortheskunk likes this.
  13. ChapterAquila92

Ah, the old Carnivore Confusion trope. Time to pull up these gems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joking aside, I doubt it will change eating habits that much.

As an aside, I'm partial to the idea of getting rid of livestock altogether and substituting vat-grown meat. Cleaner, safer, more environmentally-friendly, and with the least amount of suffering from all parties involved.

14. Rimna

Rimna Far from the madding crowd

We'll probably freak out. Looking at a drawing of an anthropomorphic animal is one thing, but experiencing something like that in reality will likely be a completely different experience.

15. Jay98

Jay98 The violent man-eater

John:
    In all honesty if the furry fandom ever met up with a world of anthropomorphic creatures there'd probably be a huge outcry about misrepresentation of the species' and the furry fandom would be taken down as racist propaganda.