Any books about dragons that you can recommend?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Keegen, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Keegen

Keegen Star Guardian

As in title, respond with your favourite books with dragons as main or almost main characters.

2. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Not quite main characters (and more a force of nature), but I'd recommend Marie Brennan's A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent.

Christopher Paolini's Inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance) is alright.

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. Full stop.

3. Nataku

Nataku Shapeshifting alien dragon

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern is a great series. Easy reads, and very nice to see the dragons portrayed as helpful benefactors.

4. Abyssalrider

Abyssalrider The Autistic Otter

The Dragons of Requiem book franchise by Daniel Arenson (not exactly dragons per-se but people that can transform into dragons)

5. Keegen

Keegen Star Guardian

I have read Eragon, but i will look at natural history of dragons and pern. Thanks! Oh and I will look for requiem too!

6. Abyssalrider

There's a lot of Requiem books, I only have the first trilogy and a couple books from the following one (there's several trilogies, each is set at a different point in the timeline so they can all be read out of order without missing anything)
    Daniel Arenson | USA Today Bestselling Author of Fantasy and Science Fiction

7. Keegen

Keegen Star Guardian

Thanks, sadly any of those Books arent available in my country... So i need to find a way to get them.

8. Abyssalrider

you could check Amazon if you have a Kindle, but idk how to get the books outside of the US.

9. Keegen

Keegen Star Guardian

Yep gotta think and look. I hope there is a way. Mainly because history of dragons sounds great for me, and i always loved humans transforming into dragons. Most hyped for this two books haha

10. Jarren

Jarren What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series is great. It's a bit wordy, as it takes a lot of stylistic inspiration from classic literature, but a wonderful story with great characters and a cool alternate history timeline of the Napoleonic wars.

11. Endless/Nameless

Endless/Nameless Renegade

12. SilverFeline

SilverFeline New Member

The "Age of Fire" series by E.E. Knight is a good read, been meaning to reread it actually :)

13. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

My first published work fits your criteria. I am close, agonizingly close, to getting a paperback edition out. It will have a little bit more information, and feel a little more polished, than the admittedly early e-book submission. Books two and three are in the works.

Edit: I have paperbacks. See this: forums.furaffinity.net: Paperbacks are in, The Accidental Ambassador!

Please take a look. Just know that the plot shifts by chapter five.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  14. Xaroin

Xaroin the Contradictory

Well what I'm writing has a plot that makes less sense than Texas Chainsaw Massicer and I'm planning on the main character "fight" a dragon, it's more of a running away spamming spells. The dragon will be sorta important for the end. So wait like 4 years when I actually finish it.

15. Keefur

Keefur aka Cutter Cat

The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson is an amusing read.

16. Stratelier

Stratelier Active Member

I remember running across a YA series called Dragons in our Midst, by Bryan Davis. Only read through the first book but it was okay.

And I remember seeing the description for a book called Tooth and Claw, by Jo Walton, where the setting was basically everyday Victorian Europe but replace all the humans with dragons.

17. Pinecat

Pinecat Tired