Apple Vs. Android

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by FluffyShutterbug, May 5, 2017.

?

Apple or Android?

Poll closed May 19, 2017.
  1. Apple

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Android

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% faith-based dancing!

OMG! THANK YOU!

Wait, here's a gif for it.
    [​IMG]

2. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Pretty much anything. A custom lockscreen instead of a generic swipe motion, custom launcher for a completely different UI, custom theme for different icons, custom keyboard for a completely different keyboard, hell even a custom ROM for a completely different firmware, the possibilities are practically endless. Android is open source, so you can do pretty much whatever you like.

Andromedahl and Yakamaru like this.
  3. Yakamaru

^ This.

...Pitchforks, torches and shovels? xD

4. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

No...

100 lashes by earbuds

Zenoth likes this.
  5. Yakamaru

....Wait. I just noticed you used "belieFUR".

Got any more Furry puns up your sleeve? So I can find you and stare at you intensely while you sleep? :3

Zenoth likes this.
  6. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

Yeah, all of that is completely orthogonal to my use case. I use my phone as a peripheral device and have no interest in any of those changes lol.

Pipistrele likes this.
  7. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Both are good for what they do - Android is more open, versatile and much easier to program for, yet IOS is more stable, has better interface due to clear design language, easier on battery life, and offers better tablet experience (Android is rather poorly suited for tablets due to weird UI design and lack of proper tablet-oriented apps). So it's a matter of preference - you want a gadget that "just works, and works great", you get an IOS device, you want to tweak stuff around and fit it to your specific preferences as close as possible, you get an Android device.

I always saw "smartphone wars" in the same way I see "console wars" - more often than not, Apple owners are bitching about Android due to obsession with brand and trying to justify spending $400+ on thingie that makes calls and connects Internet, and Android users are bitching about IOS due to just being envy they can't buy one in the first place. If owner is genuinely happy with decision, Android or IOS, he doesn't usually care that much, same with the consoles .u.

8. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

But customization is a double-edged sword, really. There's a good potential to make your OS both pretty and practical if you REALLY know what you're doing, but even greater potential of just making it uglier and less usable. Custom lockscreens tend to hide ads around and/or have weird security quirks (I remember one lockscreen that crashed from time to time, throwing me to launcher, which kinda kills the purpose - like having a pretty door lock that just opens itself when it feels like it), custom ROMs are all over the place in terms of quality and compatibility, and in general, cluttering the phone with additional features and Xposed scripts often results in having one hell of a mess in UI department - it's cool to have a phone with Holo-styled keyboard, Windows Phone launcher, iPhone lockscreen and Amiga icons or what have you, but fanciness aside, will it be as consistent and comfortable to actually use, when design language changes on every screen and menu? I am an Android user too, and even I see the holes in whole "Customization makes everything better" mentality .з.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

So you like paying massive prices on peripherals that only work on the Apple/iOS ecosystem, opposed to paying for equally quality components at less than half the price that works just as well?

k, den.

Brb, going to casually drop some files on my phone without the use of some proprietary software.
    Not necessarily. Newer versions of Android has much better error correcting control over APPs and the ecosystem itself, and developers nowadays put more time into refining the Android ecosystem for their specific devices ensuring better compatibility. Take into account that if you're using stock firmware you have less chances of running into problems, it's the custom shit that has tons of issues, usually.

*cough* EMUI *cough* *cough* Huawei and Xiaomi phones with massive batteries and power efficient MediaTek SoC's *cough*

Face it, Android has bridged the gap with iOS in every way possible on a hardware and software level. At this point all you're really paying for is the brand name.

And just so there's no bias, I've had extensive experience with both ecosystems since the first iPhone, to Apple's credit, was fairly groundbreaking at the time.

10. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Newer versions of Android are significantly more stable compared to older versions of Android, but it's still a far cry from stability of iOS. Again, iOS has a clear design language, closed and highly documented architecture, and much smaller hardware range, which allows for making software work in same way on every device. In fact, there aren't that many complex Android games and indie ports exactly because of that - it's just hard to make a good-looking Android game that will run on anything out of the box and without issues.

It's a common (and misguided) argument - "It's not OS's flaws, it's just your phone that sucks!". There are some fantastic Android phones out there, but, you know, flaws are there, objective ones at that. Inability to efficiently spread battery usage is a flaw, 50MB .apk limit that cripples game designers is a flaw, constant changes in design language that results in many apps looking and behaving diferently is a flaw, compatibility issues and the fact that you can get different bugs on different devices is a serious flaw for me, and while you can argue that "Android is improving at that with each new version", the fact that many Android devices have infamously short-term firmware support (like, down to 1-1.5 years for some of them), which results in inability to upgrade your phone/tablet to another version even if it has enough hardware power for it to work out, is a major flaw. "It's not a battery usage issue, your battery is just not massive enough!" - I mean, come on.

Probably on a hardware level, not on software one by far. Again, there are fundamental things that just work much better with closed architecture and limited range of devices, from UI organization to software and firmware compatibility. And as an opposite, there are things that work better with open architecture and wide range of devices. In the end result, it's a matter of preferences and uses for said tech - Apple wins at some categories, Android wins at others. Honestly, judging by your overly arrogant and unnecessary reaction to what are basically calmly expressed (and reasonable) opinions, I think you're just being a fanboy here, sorry.

11. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

As I said, I don't debate the price difference because that is a real difference and a fair complaint about Apple products versus Android and Windows devices. However I happen to prefer the software and have the expendable income to afford the $200 difference in phones. I also don't ever move files to my phone because I stream my music and have other devices and cloud based software to handle other file-related tasks.

It sounds like Android fits your use case and priorities far better than Apple, which is true for a lot of people. I happen to be the opposite because I use my devices and money in a very different way. This difference is why I was asking about the customization argument. I'm all for customizing desktops and laptops (I just finished a year long foray into Arch), but putting that kind of work into a phone is foreign to me.

12. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

It's not for everyone, and in that case Apple is a perfectly good choice because of its simplicity. But Apple products are still extremely overpriced and greatly limited in their capabilities when compared to an Android. If it makes you happy though, then by all means go for it.

I disagree. High end Android phones are just as expensive as iPhones (I'd happily pay the $700+ MSRP for the Note5 or Nexus 6 when they released), but the hardware specs are much much better and I love the OS.

It boils down to simplicity VS functionality. Apple is simple enough that I was able to teach my grandma how to use her iPad in a single weekend. I don't think I would be able to do the same with an Android tablet, but then again, my grandma doesn't need to do anything more advanced than go on Facebook or play Candy Crush or whatever mobile game is popular nowadays. So for her, Apple is definitely the better pick, as is for anyone that wants a device that's as easy and intuitive to use as possible.

IF you know what you're doing, it can enhance the experience. While it's easy to install this kind of stuff, doing the research prior is very important (3rd party lockscreens for example, more of an example then something I would actually suggest using. They are generally insecure, quite a few can easily be bypassed, and you need to use the stock lockscreen if you encrypt your phone. But I digress).

If you're the kind of person that is always pushing your phone to it's limits then you're always doing research, always learning more. And certainly always debugging and troubleshooting. Convenient? Nah. But arguably enjoyable, if that's your kind of thing.

And I just want to add, Android kinda does have Apple beat in games market, not just because better specs = better performance, but the higher resolution of some Android phones (Note5 for example) makes mobile VR comparable to desktop headsets. I have both a GearVR headset for my Note5 and an Oculus Rift. I use the GearVR headset just as much, if not more, than the Rift because watching movies (regular, 3D, and 360°) is very similar in both, but the GearVR is cord-free. Arguably 3D movies in the GearVR are better than the theater. I used to think 3D movies was a sham, but after watching them in the headset I realized just how much of an improvement it can be. I just seen Zootopia 3D in the headset not long ago, and wow what a difference. Definitely worth watching in 3D.

Pipistrele likes this.
  13. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Welp, that's a good position, I appreciate it. I disagree on games, though - there's a good potential in Android phones, but not that many actually good games that use that potential, due to aforementioned issues with compatibility and 50mb .apk limit resulting in platform that's hard to build games for, at least compared to iOS. It's the same situation as with PSP/DS or PSX/Saturn - PSP and Saturn had better specs and more fitting hardware for something truly cool, but PSX and DS were extremely easy to make games for, which happens to matter the most in the end result. I like using my androphone as VR headset, though - not to watch movies, but to play vidya with TrinusVR and TriDef (running around in Doom and Quake with everything popping out, one hell of experience :D )

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    -AlphaLupi likes this.
  14. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

I currently have Apple simply because probably won't be seeing Samsung Note for a while. When I got the phone decided to get the iPad Pro. I don't exactly prefer to use Apple phones but right now I chose to go with something different

15. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

Android is the best. Apple is for people who worship satan and think going green is more important than arming children with guns.

Yakamaru likes this.
  16. Yakamaru

I would suggest you keep Stan out of this. He's a pretty chill dude once you get to know him. :3

17. Meowly555

Meowly555 New Member

i love apple.. but just can't afford it.

18. Julyne

Julyne New Member

19. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Well, that was a little cruel. I created this thread just for fun. If you weren't interested in leaving your two cents, you could've just said nothing... :oops:

20. Lamipelt

Lamipelt Chillin Insomniac

Was originally an apple supporter until my phone got bugged and the tech support would not help me in store, and were very condescending suggesting I just buy the latest model instead of a repair. Now have the s8 plus and happy with it.

21. apple ftw. used to have android but its super confusing, they put wayy to much uneeded shit and apps in the phone and phones start lagging like after a year. havent found a single quality android phone and my family owns them and they complain as well. apple hasnt dissapointed me yet and I recently got a new phone and holy shit. Its expensive but so much worth it. no lag, smooth scrolling, all the memory you could dream of and the pic quality is great. fite me
    also, I really dislike most android users because they shit on apple just because they cant afford it. thats the most stupid reason there is xD

22. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Sounds like you haven't used a good Android phone. You really can't pick up a $20 Android phone and expect it to perform like a $500-$600+ iPhone. Also a common problem with Android (where Apple has an advantage imo) is they usually come with bloatware: unnecessary apps that take up space and resources. However, rooting an Android phone is super easy and you can remove them on your own (unfortunately not really a solution for non-technical users unless they're wiling to spend the afternoon learning the process).

A GOOD Android phone is just as good as an iPhone and is much cheaper, a better Android phone is much more powerful. A Note5 cost just as much as an iPhone and the specs were much, much better. I wouldn't say that most Android fans shit on Apple because they can't afford it (only the assholes do), hell I paid $600 for my Android phone and am strongly considering dropping $1,000 for the new Note8. Android fans shit on Apple because it has a much better cost-to-performance ratio and, if you're a more technical user, can do much much more than an iPhone can. Sure its complicated, but once you use it for a while you get used to it and realize just how much more you can do with it. Plus there's the GearVR if you have a Samsung device, highly recommend it. I use it as much as my Rift because it makes for a great portable movie/Netflix theater.

23. Scorpen

Scorpen Literal S.O.B

They both have there place. I like the way iOS is pretty much the same across iPhones. It made syncing music/pictures much easier and faster than with my Android. I like the "versatility" my of my droid (SD card slot, replaceable battery, etc) but it's still clunky to use. I also hate that every time I pick up another android the entire user interface has pretty much changed. It's not a bad thing per se but it's very unintuitive.

TLDR; I like Apple for the OS. I like Android for the hardware.

24. RakshaTheCat

RakshaTheCat Member

Isn't it a bit like consoles and pc, where consoles and apple are good for average Joe who just wants to use phone/play games, while android/PC is more fun for nerdy/power users? :3

I'm more nerdy type so I'm happy with android. I'm also on the poor side currently (will code for food), so sticking with my galaxy s2, who even could be upgraded to one of the latest OSes, although it wasn't very straightforward... :3

25. My opinion is like that because, no, I didn't use a 20 dollar android phone lol, my mother bought a brand new galaxy 5 and it went to shit after half a year. she only used the phone to message and call mostly, no apps, and it still became so laggy, slow and unbearable that even now she is confused as to why a phone that cost so much isn't worth it at all. the same goes to my group of friends, they all bought the newest galaxies and after about a year, either completely unusable or slow as a snail. I had a rather cheap android phone but it worked literally the same as the ''new and improved'' ones. so yeah, I've had experiences with multiple of them and that doesn't change my mind. owned an iPhone 5 for 5 years and even after dropping it and shattering its screen, it still worked like new. no lag, nothing broken inside, and not even wear and tear showing in the program after so many years. bought an iPhone 7 now and I seriously couldn't be happier, it works even smoother and better than the one I had before. so to each their own, I guess, not gonna shit or ridicule people that like android because they have their reasons and I have mine. I just don't understand people who do that, are they jealous? salty they can't afford it? or just genuinely had a bad experience but aren't mature enough to express that dislike in a more polite way?