Are drums the easiest "real" instrument?

Discussion in 'Music & Audio' started by Slissors, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Otarine

Otarine New Member

I think every instrument has its own difficulties and easiness.

I'd assume (not being a drummer, myself) that it takes a ton of hand-eye coordination. I'm pretty sure you'd need a great sense of rhythm and you'd have to be perfectly on the beat without mistake.

I don't think it's fair to imply that there is an easier instrument to play, because every instrument has its own charm. A person can be bad at drumming, but great at playing the trumpet. A person can have a wicked improvised drum performance but fail at a guitar solo.

Also, the notion of a "real" instrument is odd to me, as instruments are but mere tools upon which a person is able to express musicianship and creativity. I believe that even the launchpad is an instrument, and I believe that a Roland synth can be just as genuine as an acoustic guitar.

2. Helios276

Helios276 Guest

I can probably learn how to play most instruments, but I can't play the drums at all!

3. MaximusLupis

MaximusLupis Hipster Snob

multitasking is key.
    that bass pedal isnt gonna hit itself.

its all about maintaining and having a good rhythm rather than a combination of that and notes with other instruments.

4. HOFFY

HOFFY New Member

I'm incredibly creative in a musical sense, so writing good drum parts comes really easily to me. However, I find them very hard to play, so I would say no, they're not easy -- keeping the time is a hard enough job, and layering other rhythmic elements on top in real-time can be difficult as well. Good thing I don't have to worry about getting good at drums because I have one of the hardest working drummers in my home town collaborating with me on a prog metal project. /sighofrelief

5. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

I could never really master the drums. I could never get arms and legs going at the same time, doing four different things.

I envy anyone that can play drums, with the exception of Steve Moore. I think he's not human.

6. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Easiest to play, in terms of "I can fool around with drums and make kewl sounds in no time", all you need is to bash stuff with sticks, while with guitar and piano, you have to at least learn a couple of chords. To play something actually listenable and relatively complex, however, it'll take a ton of practice. In a way, saying that drums are easiest instrument is like saying that drawing is an easiest craft - the fact that anybody can do it from the get go doesn't mean you don't have to work your ass off to be decent at it.

7. NocturneFox!

NocturneFox! FOX OVER 9000!!!!!

KHAZOO ARE MOR EASY \Bv/

8. Nosta

Nosta Member

Well coming from a drummer that actually plays progressive music I have to say you doing wrong. You really should expande your listening portfolio. Yes basic rock patterns can be very easy but there is a whole world of prucusion. There is a bunch of theory for drums but mostly relate around time and groove. Listen to afro cuban or actual african music can completely change the way you approch your drumming. Hell you may hear an awesome groove on the guitar but as a drummer you can control how "fast" that particular part feels just by working with orchestration. The truth is most people actually arnt good at drums which is why its very very easy to find a guitar player, hard to find a good drummer and singer, and even harder to find a tallented bassist. Is drumming easy? well like all things yes at first but to truly excel thats where its hard. Also keep in mind that most talented song producers start with drums then branch out.

9. bhutrflai

bhutrflai Okami convinced me to drink the kool-aid. Cheers!

I played a brass instrument for 8 yrs in school, and 4 of that I marched as well. Did fairly well, naturally. But never put alot of practice behind it, so didn't go as far as I could have. (My one regret.)
    But playing a horn that only required one hand to operate, its more about quick fingers on the keys & changing the pitch with your breath & the shape of your lips. So, to me, brass is fairly easy. Winds & piano have to have the ability to separate their hands & still use them in sync to produce sound. Strings are beautiful to watch & have their own array of difficulties.
    I was able to take a couple of extra band classes my senior yr. I decided to play percussion & I was totally content to take the xylophone & chimes. (I know full well that I don't have enough steady rhythm to try snare or bass.) But I held my own with what I played.

As for playing on a drum set, I can't hold the separate beats long enough with all the different limbs. And don't even contemplate a double-peddled bass drum. My brain would probably explode! I do love watching someone just jam out on a full set. It's absolutely a dance!