Art Critique and Help Improving

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by clAwful, Dec 23, 2016.

1. clAwful

clAwful What a beautiful Duwang

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. Keeroh

Keeroh Shinies Snatcher

There seems to be a bit of a disparity between some of your works. The second, third, and fifth drawings have very particular and clean details, whereas the first and the fourth are a lot more flat and seem to have some minor anatomical quirks. My first impression is that they looked traced (which is not a bad thing! It's great for practice, just gotta ensure that credit is noted for the traced original).
    Whatever you are doing for those three in particular should be used as the foundation for development. If it's tracing, migrate to just using the reference image to sketch out the bodies form. Think stick figure, not body outlines. Just sketch in the length of limbs and positions. Then use the reference image to try and complete the rest yourself without tracing.

If for those three, you were using just visual references or some other form of guide, it had a great outcome and you should continue down that path. Still life is also a good practice to get more comfortable understanding shading and depth. Also, this site might be useful for you- It's nice for getting that basic stick-figure form to go off from: http://www.eggazyoutatsu.net/eng/atarichanDrawer.html

Just keep practicing. :3

3. clAwful

clAwful What a beautiful Duwang

Thank you for responding! I'm still experimenting so I'm not surprised there are discrepancies. I have a lot of trouble making the lineart look natural and fluid so I guess that's why it looks traced? I don't know how to give it that natural motion and variation like I see in other's art... I kind of just zoom in or turn the stabilization all the way up.

4. Keeroh

Keeroh Shinies Snatcher

Fluidity and stability comes with practice, and line weight is a good thing to focus on! This tutorial has been a go-to for me: nsio.deviantart.com: Nsio explains: Line Dynamics - Hopefully it helps a bit. ^^

5. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth a wild ? appeared

Actually "fluidity" can be solved with some computer assistance. There are programs which will help you make "confident" strokes, and you'd be surprised how many professionals use such software aids. It's basically an extended version of what you can tweak in the tablet settings.

More "traditionally" I found that my tablet being essentially frictionless wasn't helping. Actually made it worse. You can tape a rough paper cover over (most?) tablets and they'll still work just fine, but with actual resistance and friction like traditional art has. This can significantly help with cleaner linework.

Only thing that hasn't been said I'd criticize is to move away from the "learn to draw manga" styles and influences whenever possible.