Art Critique (One is a Possible NSFW)

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by xaliceonfire, Feb 8, 2017.

1. xaliceonfire

xaliceonfire Kiralee

Here are a couple of my newer sketches/art.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *Original Concept By Toby Fox*

I have to work on shading, I know. But anywho, that's all.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

More please if you've got them.

From what I see:

Foxy: Balance/center-of-gravity is off. This is fundamental to sketching figures. She looks like she's going to fall over. The line of motion is very stiff. Looks like she's leaning backwards and jumping up via one foot with her back ram-rod straight. FOV/angles are all wrong for features of the head. These are always tricky, a good extreme example is "side mouth" like you often see in cheap anime, though you've got that a bit with the eye. Need a few studies on the individual facial features, as well as the placement of them. The implied horizontal lines on the head (eg eye to eye, across the brow, across the mouth, etc) are crooked relative to each other, the only time they should be in significant disagreement is with expressions or when there's extreme enough FOV on the head for a noticeable vanishing point. Basically, you need more rigorous construction with heads. Angle/rotation of some limbs and body parts appears off, eg legs/feet. You need a few more references of people pulling the pose you want. If you're particularly lazy, draw the simple-shapes figure over a reference (like the figure on the left), then use that as the foundation for your figure.

Undertale: inking is nice, but not much visible figure to comment on.

3. xaliceonfire

xaliceonfire Kiralee

I appreciate the advice. I have a really hard time finding balance when I'm sketching, and I'm trying my best to not just draw figures in baggy clothing to hide it. I haven't quite gotten the hang of it, and I'm thinking about trying gridline paper to hopefully improve it.

[​IMG]

^ This was my first digital art that I tried to do.

[​IMG]

^ This one was referenced from an artist I can't find anymore. (It was done a long time ago.)

I don't have my sketchbook with me at the moment so that's all I have.

4. Khazius

Khazius The Fruit Bat

I wish I could offer more advice but im hardly an art critic, clay is my medium not drawing. What you have here is pretty damned good, the only thing I noticed is that you dont seem to have a set style. Your undertale work seems to be almost painting like, your mrs. universe one is more of a drawing, but your fox seems like an actual drawing. Are you experimenting with different styles? I think their all wonderfully done but if you settled on one style you might be able to focus more on what you need to change.

Sorry if this wasnt very helpful :/

5. xaliceonfire

xaliceonfire Kiralee

No, totally helpful.

Yeah I haven't settled on a style for myself. I guess I can't really figure out what it is. x_x

6. Khazius

Khazius The Fruit Bat

Well you can pull off any of them, but I think if you spend a lot of time on one you could start excelling at that style even better :3

7. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

Almost forgot: How big is the first drawing? Just looking at the thickness of the lines, I can tell you that you need to use finer lines or you need to draw bigger. It's probably that you need to draw bigger. Lots of people have this problem where they draw smaller and basically just cramp themselves. Pen(s) that can do variable thickness if you're going to be doing hard outlines would be beneficial.

Ehhhh, IMO bad habit. Don't care about your super-early stuff for critique either. I've really nothing to say about those two pieces.

8. xaliceonfire

xaliceonfire Kiralee

Thank you. I'll have to try and figure it out.

It's a normal 8x10 canvas. As far as the references, I don't see a problem in drawing things that you like as well as original pieces. It was a reference.