Art programs! What do you use?

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by KayJay, Apr 1, 2017.

1. KayJay

KayJay New Member

Hello I'm kind of new here, although I've been doing digital art for quite a bit now. I wanted to start off to ask what everyone's preferred programs are. Mine is Clip Studio Paint Pro (and I will recommend it to anyone who asked) . Any other Clip Studio artists out there?

2. Xaroin

Xaroin Sprsh

Imagine an iphone
    Now imagine a watered down photoshop
    Now imagine me not having a stylus
    Now imagine the app not being avalable on the app store anymore

3. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

Sai, gimp, krita, and an old version of photoshop elements. I jump between these and sometimes use more than one of those on a singular piece: I like sai for lines and coloring, krita for symmetry tools, gimp for its brush path tool and minor adjustments, and photoshop for the big guns/touchups

4. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

I don't use programs, I use monies.

....STOP LAUGHING AT ME

5. KeitoTheMidnightFox

KeitoTheMidnightFox ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I use GIMP 2 + my mouse. I dont make anything really good. But my Fursonas were commissions though lol
    I might try Pain Tool SAI is that what its called? I think

6. TheRealKingKoopa

TheRealKingKoopa Pixel Junkie

I use GIMP for pixels since a) the pencil tool preview thing snaps to the pixels and b) it's really easy to draw straight lines, both of which are things Photoshop doesn't seem to do.

I also happen to own a Surface Pro 4 and a copy of Photoshop CS6, so if I'm out somewhere with it and get bored I'll draw up some lineart to pixel over later.

7. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

I use sai for drawing and most graphics. sometimes old school photoshop cs2 for some blending on photo manipulations.

8. Bidoyinn

Bidoyinn Member

I use SAI for everything but I've been eyeing CSP for over a year now...one day, haha

9. KayJay

KayJay New Member

I had a bit of trouble getting used to Krita. Perhaps I should try again because symmetry tools sound awesome. Also I love programs with animation support (main reason I updated Manga Studio to Clip Studio). I have multiple art programs on the art machine I use as well. Clip Studio, Sai, Medibang Paint Pro, and GIMP I believe.

Yeah Paint Tool Sai is pretty awesome. There are lots of places to get a good free copy. I imagine there's a good market here for commissioning sonas, that could be good for me lol.

Hmm good to know. I have friends who do good pixel art. It looks hard to me so I'm always impressed by people who can do it.
    Sai is good for that. Some of my artists friends use Sai exclusively. Also can I just say that your avatar is very pretty.

Oh I'd def recommend it. Pretty sure that Pro is only $24 on amazon right now, last I saw. It's defintley worth it especially with the asset shop where most everything is free and there's new bonus material every day. The bonus material has done wonders for my art.

10. Zenoth

Zenoth The average chipfox, doing chipfox stuff.

SAI and Photoshop CC

11. bbrrk9

bbrrk9 Guest

i use clip studio too!! actually JUST started using it this year after like almost 4yrs with sai.
    it was heartbreaking to give up sai until i realized how damn good clip studio was??? idk about you but the brushes feel so good!
    theres so many different types of brushed n ppl also create a ton new n interesting ones too its amazing. also just all stuff csp can do makes me want to experiment more with my art!
    im like in a very pure honeymoon phase with clip studio lmao

12. AlleycatIrony

AlleycatIrony dubstep macarena

i'm a paint tool sai user c:

13. KayJay

KayJay New Member

I used Sai for a bit.. but then I got Manga Studio 5 (the old version) and I've been loyal to it for ages. When I discovered Clip was the new version and had ANIMATION I was sold. The brushes are great. Also if you ever want you can PM me and I can share some of the brushes I've found, and direct you to some of the best assets in the Asset shop/library that have changed the way I art.

bbrrk9 likes this.
  14. Shadow-Wing456

Shadow-Wing456 A leaf on the wind~

GIMP has always been my go to since it's free. I have a Surface Pro 4 now and that has been a godsend, I much prefer the ability to draw and interact directly on the screen rather than with the Wacom tablet I learned on.

15. bbrrk9

bbrrk9 Guest

that b super! :eek::eek:

16. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Sláinte chugat!

GIMP all the way!

17. narutogod123

narutogod123 Void Mage

I use Photoshop CS5 and Clip Studio Paint. My tablet is a Wacom Cintiq 21ux, I use Photoshop to color and Clip Studio Paint for comics and lineart. I highly recommend both of them :)

18. KayJay

KayJay New Member

Ahhh I wish I could afford Photoshop. It would be so nice

Then again I wish I could afford Toon Boom Harmony Essentials too.

19. BittiBones

BittiBones Gore fanatic

Krita and SAI! I've literally gone on for hours on how much I love Krita and its autosave, along with my 300+ brushes in it (which I know is excessive but if what I want and what I need were the same things, then I'd need all of the brushes people put out for it!). I'd really recommend it!

Asides from that, I have worked with Manga Studio EX-- essentially the sister program to clip paint-- and it is a good program for anyone out there.

Edit : note, Krita's a free program.

20. Baconbasket

Baconbasket A bacon in a basket world!

I love:

Paper and Pencil
    GIMP
    Photoshop
    Sai

Sometimes I use all four for one picture, but I'm mostly traditional (Paper and Pencil)!

21. ArtVulpine

ArtVulpine Member

I used to use GIMP, but now i use Fire Alpaca, a free Japanese based art system. It's easy to use and has lots of tools.

22. Fishsticks03

Fishsticks03 New Member

I use Adobe draw

23. estiniens

estiniens stargazer

I do everything (including photo/screenshot edits) in Paint Tool Sai.

24. lajm

lajm family guy funny moments

the good ol' paper & pencil

25. RailRide

RailRide The Real Wheels of Steel

Primarily, an ancient Win98-era Photoshop wanna-be known as Micrografx Picture Publisher. It was the first image editor I knew of (other than Photoshop) that showed you the size+shape of your brush (in the form of an outline) before you actually started putting down pixels.

After the turn of the century, I started to dabble with vectors. Vector graphics were total voodoo to me until I understood what awsomely smooth and editable curves they could produce. For a while I fooled around with a promotional copy of Deneba Canvas (an old version provided on a computer magazine coverdisc), but did not fully grasp how to use vectors until years later when I found Inkscape. I used it primarily to ink, and once did a complete near photo-quality vectorization of some car photos. I use it less often now due to practice with digital inking with modern digital paint applications (primarily for their canvas-rotate features)

As far as "modern" digital art apps, I switch back and forth between Krita and Clip Studio Paint EX (the $210 version--which I got for about $80 since Smith Micro throws on a substantial discount twice a year or so*). I had CSP first, then added Krita around about the time they announced that animation support is in the future. (Right around the time they did just that, Celsys/Smith Micro added this functionality to Clip Studio).

Krita's animation support is getting better, adding the ability to export animations in standard video file formats (MP4, MKV, etc) and most recently, add sound to animation. Enhanced support for vector graphics is also in the future. Despite having two licenses for CSP, I fool around with Krita for the novelty of having such a powerful freeware application. But no single application is my "one and only" anymore.

While I haven't installed it yet, OpenToonz allows vector drawing of still images as well as full-on animation, so that is another free application to explore.

Less frequently used are SmoothDraw and MyPaint. Both support layers and canvas rotate and are fairly small applications. I basically experimented with them to see if I could complete a project with them. I haven't done more than a couple of pics with either one since I have so many other applications to use/learn.

---PCJ

*--There is was a promotion going on RIGHT NOW where you can buy a digital download of the pro version of Clip Studio for $79 until 4/18/17. Keep an eye on their site or get on their mailing list to get notice when they put CSP or Anime Studio...er...MOHO on sale again

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017