Bad games with interesting mechanics

Discussion in 'PC and Console Gaming' started by BronzeHeart92, Jun 29, 2017.

1. BronzeHeart92

BronzeHeart92 New Member

Same as title. Games that at least tried to bring something new to the table but was still bad overall? First game that fits this description that comes to mind is Spyro Enter the Dragonfly. Yeah, it was glitchy and unfinished and what not but at the same time it was the first Spyro game with multiple breath types at your disposal at all times, something that wasn't the case with the PS1 entries that came before it.

2. Wolf-Snipe

Wolf-Snipe Member

Postal 2...generaly crappy game: graphics looks awfull(at purpose), gameplay wise is a very generic shooter(i mean back in 2004 it was), mostly low-brass humor, but still it doesn't stop this game for being one and truly "open-world" FPS...well not for today standards but still its was really cool back then to just begin the game and do what the hell you want, also its 1st game which uses fluids "physics"(look at behavior of urine, blood).

Pipistrele likes this.
  3. Norros

Norros Guest

The Matrix: Path of Neo

Great fight mechanic.
    But rest of the game is terrible.

4. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

I seriously wish I could remember the title. It's been...crap, decades since I played it. But it was a PC FPS that took place underwater, where you flew your underwater ship against invading aliens that had taken root in the oceans.

Primary controls were through the mouse. The keyboard was barely used except for launching stuff like nukes that took out everything on screen.

Sounds standard?

Nope! Not only was your aiming point controlled by the mouse, so was your entire rotational axis.

What does that mean?

Your screen would spin according to how far/fast you moved your mouse towards the edges.

What does that mean?

It was INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to aim and fire at anything at all, and you could be shot from outside your POV, requiring you to swing towards where you are being attacked from...and swing right past it due to the sensitive mechanic.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  5. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Ecco the Dolphin - not something I would call outright bad, but it's an example of the game being handicapped by creativity of its developers, if you can understand what I mean. It's something of a dolphin simulator that attempts to translate the wonders and dangers (primarly dangers) of underwater sea life, and it's a genuinely atmospheric and beautiful game, especially for its time - the problem is that it's also poorly balanced, difficult for all the wrong reasons and has some really questionable level design (especially that damn "Welcome to the Machine" level - a 5 minute scrolling stage full of trial'n'error and with no checkpoints. Seriously, look at it for yourself, it's just ridiculous). In other words, it captures the atmosphere of being a dolphin in the ocean, but it doesn't translate into a good game.

6. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

The infamous DRIV3R was released unfinished and had a ton of horrible glitches. That being said, the game had amazing driving physics and could be played in 3 large cities, each one of them larger than Liberty City in GTA III and Vice City in GTA: Vice City.

Pipistrele likes this.
  7. fallout19980

fallout19980 Just some guy writing stories and playing dota

No Man's Sky- Survival game where you get to explore thousands of generated planets, but with broken AI, user hostile controls, paper thin story, lackluster survival mechanics, missing features and quite possibly one of the worst video game endings ever.

Walking Dead: Survival Instinct- Another survival game, this one being set in the TV Walking Dead universe where you are put in the shoes of redneck Daryl Dixon. Prequel to the TV series. Interesting mechanics are that you can choose how to travel the zombie apocalypse and are given a certain degree of survivor management. They found a way to make zombies even dumber with the AI, poor graphics, poor performance, weak story, glitches galore.

Amazing Spider-Man 2: Based on the Amazing Spider-Man movie series. Web swinging mechanics were interesting and somewhat captured the feel of being "Spider-Man". Bad AI, repetitive side missions, tons of glitches.

Mind Jack- Futuristic shooter where you can telepathically control humans, animals and machines. The premise of being able to possess enemies and civilians in order to fight your battles is interesting. Everything else was tosh. (Watch Angry Joe's review)

After fall; Insanity: Post-apocalyptic shooter/brawler where you fight as a scientist accused of murder, have to confront the apocalypse, and question your sanity along the way. Featured a insanity mechanic, if I recall correctly, after witnessing horrifying events or being too violent, the player character will deal more damage and take less damage. Poor optimization and constant framerate drops. Although there were some Jacob's Ladder style moments, the mechanic was used sparingly to say the least.

8. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

The first Red Faction, back around 2000-ish. Don't remember what year and too lazy to look it up. The game had a system called "geo-mod". Explosions and digging tools could be used to "dig" into rock and other materials. The game would generate/model/carve new terrain and allow the player to dig out tunnels around doors, under walls, wherever. By default the game had a limit to where you could dig and how much to keep the game running smoothly but if you had cheats and a beefy pc, you could dig endlessly and terraform the game's environment to your liking. Digging was a lot of fun and totally OP in multiplayer deathmatch.
    Too bad the game itself blew chunks...

9. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Oh, I remember that - even moderately enjoyed the game back in my childhood, mainly because San Andreas for PC wasn't out yet, and Vice City was beaten several times before, so I didn't have anything better to do :D Driver: San Francisco, ironically, is an opposite case - completely ridiculous idea that turned everybody off during the announce ("Driver with mind control and body shifting? Like, come on"), but resulted in a pretty damn great game.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  10. FluffyShutterbug

I personally loved Driver: San Francisco; there was nothing else like it. Sadly, though, I think that's the last game in the series. I think that I've heard that the Driver series was rebranded into the Watch Dogs series.

11. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

It wasn't really ended, just migrated to handhelds for a while. The one that truly "killed" the series was Driver: Renegade 3D for 3DS - it was very underwhelming, also rushed in development (as far as I know), and after poor sales, nobody bothered to use IP anymore, aside of some random mobile game nobody remembers. As of Watch Dogs, not really - the engine was built for a Driver game in advance, but since there weren't any announced, they decided to just use the thing. Kinda strange, considering that driving was primary and most polished aspect of all the Driver games except third one (hence the name, lol), and controlling a car in Watch Dogs is frankly awful.

12. FluffyShutterbug

Oh? Heh... I don't know anything about Renegade 3D....

13. Both Glover and Billy Hatcher. They utilized a unique mechanic of guiding/protecting a roll-able object that also acted as your primary weapon and tool for solving puzzles. Ultimately they had terrible level design and some of their mechanics just did not work with the controls and camera. They fall in the category of games that you will never complete once you hit the brick wall of frustration. Cool concept, but poor execution.

14. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

i'd say battlecruiser 3000 a.d

it was so ahead of its time it was ambitious but tanked because it was so buggy and somewhat empty but what it has over other space sims is that instead of having "maps" encompassing single planets or solar systems like in other games the entire in game Galaxy is the map and you can actually travel between stars without using a warp drive i remember when i was a kid i just pointed my ship at a nearby star and set the time scale to X100 and engines to full and left it

about 11 ish hours later i finally reached the other star

15. Notkastar

Notkastar Notka- What?

I thought it was neat =)

16. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

Um, not a bad game, Project Sylpheed for xbox 360 and maybe other platforms.

It was essentially exactly like Gundam Wing, but instead of giant robots guys, you fly a super duper space jet and equip it with different gear for dogfights and assaulting capital ships, etcetera. It's Gundam Wing with jets...

Anyways the cool mechanic was cutting your engine thrust in the middle of dogfights to reorient the ship. What that meant to the player was you maintain linear inertia in space. You can fly in reverse while being chased, and change flight direction by turning the engines back on. It also means you can fly backwards while fighting the enemy chasing you exactly just like that scene in Speed Racer where Racer X is rescuing Taejo Kogokhan from the mobsters in their mobile semi truck hideout.

Very neat. Haven't ever heard of someone else who's played it though.

17. nekhromancy

nekhromancy local salt mine

I can't believe no one here has said Spectrobes yet. I don't remember a whole lot about Spectrobes other than the game itself was horrendous on many many levels (if yet enjoyable to the small children that fell within the intended demographic), but the whole battle/revival mechanic was... interesting.

It was very digimon-esq, in the sense you ran the spectrobes into one another and let them auto-attack, but the fact you could kite around, stall for time, and approach from other angles seemed unnecessary and too advanced for the game.

18. Azrion/Zhalo

Azrion/Zhalo The Felynes have arisen!

Alone in the Dark, the one before Illumination came out and killed the franchise (hopefully) for good. The game had some unique mechanics, such as how your coat was like your inventory screen, monsters could only be killed for good with fire and a couple others, but they were usually done poorly because they tried to do so many of them at once.

Game was crap, mechanics were somewhat interesting

19. real time strategist

real time strategist "What's an airport, again?"

This game deserves the most retarded quotes award.

20. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Pariah. An alright game, however lacking in background and featuring many loose plot threads in its campaign, but its gimmick was that you could upgrade your weapons on the fly (in both campaign and multiplayer) provided you collected enough energy cores to do so.