Battlefield 1 controversy

Discussion in 'PC and Console Gaming' started by AustinB, Jun 10, 2017.

1. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

So a lot of people are complaining about Battlefield 1 at the moment because the new DLC features women soldiers in the Russian army. I can kind of get behind the controversy, since women soldiers weren't really a thing in the Russian army (at least in terms of trench style fighting), so I can understand the hate. But a lot of people are pissed at the trailer. They're calling it feminist bullcrap saying shit like how it's completely inaccurate compared to the actual war. Kinda like how the German scout is black, which is completely stupid imo. There's also the whole "In the real war, most people used bolt action rifles and fought in trenches" crowd. But in my honset opinion, who cares? It's a video game. It's not meant to be accurate. Its not meant to be realistic. It's meant to be fun. EA even said themselves it's not supposed to be historically accurate. I think the war itself is set in a different universe than our own, so that explains some things. What do you think about the controversy, though? I think it's understandable since the game itself is not accurate to the real world war, but it's also stupid because it's a video game. Not a history seminar.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. real time strategist

real time strategist "What's an airport, again?"

Honestly, I was getting hyped because we might finally get a game that makes a ww1 game fun, but instead we get a reskin of the previous Battlefield:CoD edition game, both of which are $60, whereas bf2 and 2142 are free with the fanmade revive and it has people still playing, and those games are way better, I find BF1 along with many other modern games to be very overpriced, and most of the time there are better games out there better and cheaper than the AAA games.

3. Norros

Norros Guest

Only USSR didn't exist back then, women's battalions were created by Provisional Government.

4. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

As reviewer Kim Justice already talked about, WW1 is an incredibly hard and unfit setting to transform into something "fun", mainly because how pointless and depressing the whole thing was. Unlike rather "popular" WWII, there weren't any clear motives, villains or heroes - people died for dumbest political reasons, in huge quantities, in horrible ways, and nothing was achieved at all. That's why you don't see "fun and wacky" media pieces about similarly controversial Vietnam war (there was an old Battlefield game based around it, but it's very dark and grounded too). It's just a very sensitive and shameful topic in world history - obviously, many people will be pissed off if you don't do it proper justice (and EA really didn't).

Norros likes this.
  5. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

reply removed cause will cause too much butthurt

6. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

Fixed it

7. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

If you're depicting some kind of alternate, fictional version of history, that's one thing, since it's usually pretty obvious when this is being done.

But to deliberately do it in such a way that could likely mislead people as to how things actually happened is irresponsible to say the least, since it serves to dilute and corrupt our understanding of what really happened in our past, how things were, and therefore, our understanding of ourselves and our present day world. This sort of mendacity is not something to be taken lightly, especially if it might be politically motivated.

Pipistrele likes this.
  8. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

i have my own obviously harsh view on this *cough* seen dozens of females fail school of infantry *cough* but yes this look when you have 3100 females apply for infantry and only 2 succeed who are both reservists you need to kind of go "look we admit it we're not trying to be realistic we're pushing a narrative"

Shane McNair likes this.