Best book series that you have read that is not very well known

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Takeo Wolf, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Takeo Wolf

Takeo Wolf Random Wolf

What is the best book/book series that you have read that is not. Very well known.
    To start things off the best book series that I have read that is not very well known is the laws of magic series which is a very hard series to find but it is very good.

2. benignBiotic

benignBiotic Banned

Animorphs is kind of obscure these days. I'll go with that.

It's an amazing series. So dark and a great deconstruction of everything sci-fi. As I was reading them a few years ago I got bored of the same plots getting repeated, but the series as a whole is excellent. Sad, funny, exciting, epic.

xaliceonfire and SniperCoon2882 like this.
  3. DarrylWolf

DarrylWolf New Member

The Blue Forest series by KM Hirosaki and its expansion prequels by Kevin Frane. They really ought to be read more often.

4. Takeo Wolf

Takeo Wolf Random Wolf

Ok I might try and read those books

5. DarrylWolf

DarrylWolf New Member

I think there are some minor imperfections in Frane's work but I will give you a brief dexcription of both novels, spoiler-free

Thousand Leaves: A coyote by the name of Reeve Wintrell plunges into insanity as an AIDS-like mental illness sweeps through a community of gay Furries. Wintrell watches as one by one his friends fall to the disease and, uses one little sanity he has left to try and find those responsible before he dies. Meanwhile, the arguing bureaucrats of Thousand Leaves cannot decide how to best handle this medical situation as a visiting cougar CEO-in-training comes over to buy hospitals for his dad's corporation.

A good, if somewhat depressing read, not perfect but every fall I read it again and gain new insight into just what it means to be a "pariah". Very good book, if you don't mind the main characters being gay.

The Seventh Chakra: Expands on the role of two characters introduced in Thousand Leaves- Arkady Ryswife and Il-Hyeong Quinn- by telling us of the Iolite League, a religious organization, whose goals include the preservation of historical artifacts in order to find divine truths. To that end, they are creating an artificial lifeform known as Pandora to decipher ancient texts. The operatives are one part history detectives and the other part secret agents. When a key genetic code is uncovered that might bring Pandora to life, Ryswife and Quinn answer the call to go to Thousand Leaves but they end up walking into a trap.

Even better than Thousand Leaves, because Arkady is the Furry James Bond. I like this work and I read it again each spring.

6. Conker

Conker Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears

I dunno, The Death Gate Cycle maybe. Great fantasy books. I usually wind up reading things that are well known, simply because people tell me to read them. I like Literature, and that sure as shit is well known.
    Oh man those books. They were really awesome and nostalgic until I found out the bitch had like half of them ghost written. Now she can go fuck herself.

7. benignBiotic

benignBiotic Banned

Yeah that explains why so many of the books in the middle of the series were so... middling. The ghost written ones ranged from pretty decent to 'what a waste of time that was.' Like I said I found them worthwhile as a whole.

8. Ames

Ames My tank is fight!

Xeelee Sequence.

It's depressing how nobody is into really hard sci-fi nowadays.

9. Takeo Wolf

Takeo Wolf Random Wolf

Yea it is

10. Demensa

Demensa Characterless sack of potatoes

As someone who loves hard Sci Fi, I will definitely check this out.

As for obscure book series... I really don't know. I'm trying to catch up with some of the more well known, mainstream and "classic" books, before I start finding my way around more obscure authors.
    Those books I've read that are not terribly well known are usually stand alone novels.

11. Em1l

Em1l Member

I'm not entirely sure how obscure it is (probably not very) but the Farseer series' by Robin Hobb were a great read although it would seem many people found it depressing, anything that is well written and involves animals with some level of human like intelligence is fair game as far as i am concerned.

12. "Children of the Lamp" is really good. I read them all about 5 years ago. It's probably what got me into reading lots of books.

13. Xeras'na Bladewing

Xeras'na Bladewing Guardian of the Twilight Realm

The Nightside Series by Simon R. Green

The books are disappointingly short, but the noir-heavy story has me coming back often.

[​IMG]

14. Batty Krueger

Batty Krueger Fuzzy Buddy

Discworld

15. Fernin

Fernin 6150 rpm and spinning.

Diskworld is about as obscure as the Dark Tower. XD

16. Lobar

Lobar The hell am I reading, here?

Does it have to be a series? I really like Haruki Murakami's fiction. It's usually pretty fucking weird, but in a cerebral way that's pretty engrossing. Whoever his translator is does such a good job that you couldn't tell it wasn't originally written in English in the first place. Favorite of his I've read so far is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, which is as strange as its title. It's written as two separate stories and alternates chapters between them, but gradually reveals how they are interconnected.

I wish I had more time to read for fun these days.

17. Takeo Wolf

Takeo Wolf Random Wolf

No

18. Validuz

Validuz The Not-so-typical Swede.

I can strongly reccoment the first Halo books. Yes yes, i know how it sounds. 'Halo herp derp!' But they're incredibly good. It's written in an amazing way and the story is really intresting if you like Halo or just Sci-fi in general.

Halo The Flood.
    Halo First Strike.
    Halo Fall of Reach.

These three books let's you follow the Chief from his very first day in the academy, through the first encounter with the covenant. Across the first Halo ring.(The Flood is basicly the first game from the point of view of the Marines, MC and a few Covenant characters.) and the fall of reach. (Really bummed me out that Halo: Reach(the game) didn't include some of the awesome stuff that was in the book... But i guess that's the curse of all good litterature :/

xaliceonfire likes this.
  19. 3Kurama3

3Kurama3 Guest

I used to read that series all the time, it was truly amazing. The concept just drawed me in, and I'm happy someone else knows of its existence.

20. Huluvoo

Huluvoo Galaxy Hitchhiker

Without a doubt, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. Originally a BBC radio series, it also got it's own BBC TV series, then was adapted into five books, as well as a film, starring Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent (the main protagonist). The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a series that has done almost every sort of media you could think of, and very little people know about it. It's a British book, written in a very British sort of way, with dry-humour and constant contradictions of itself.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also have to think though, that if lots of people knew about it, then it wouldn't be so precious to me, because everyone would talk about it and some people would even ruin it for me. So, keeping it as a cult thing, keeps is special and dear to me.

Last edited: May 8, 2016