Best book series that you have read that is not very well known

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Takeo Wolf, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Arcturus Maple

Arcturus Maple Tiny Miniskirt Enthusiast

My favorite series of all time is Negima. But I'm not sure how well known it is. The most unknown book series I've read and liked would have to be Wyrmweald.

2. Simo

Simo Skunk

Hmmm...I don't read too many books that are in series, but I'd have to say 3 authors come to mind as amazing, all in the Detective field: (Which is curious, as this is perhaps about 10% of what I read overall, by genre)

1. Raymond Chandler and his Phillip Marlowe novels. (The Long Goodbye, The Big Sleep, The High Window &c) Easily some of the snappiest, crisp prose ever written, as as a detective Phillip Mawlowe is witty, mouthy, scrappy and never in much favor with criminals, the police, or even, at points, with his own clients.

2. Ross MacDonald and his Lew Archer novels. (The Way Some People Die, The Barbarous Coast, The Doomsters) Easily the heir to Chandler, with more of a literary punch. Blunt action, nuanced psychological derail.

3. The Inspector Montalbano Series, by Sicilian novelist Andrea Camilleri. The author is amazing, must be 90, a chain-smoker, and still writing. Funny, with a lot of fun poked at the bureaucracy, and set in an exotic, beautiful Sicilian landscape.

3. Elf-cat

Elf-cat Member

I found a really good eBook called Quantum Effect: Homano the Warrior on Kindle and I found it to be very fast paced, full of action, original and unique in the way that it's written. Definitely not well known.
    However it has explosions, demons, a big giant purple crystal and my favorite character is the dragon spirit.
    The flaws of the story are; the evil characters seem to have a shallow back story and the ninjas seem comical but unnecessary.
    [​IMG]

4. I really liked A Million Little Pieces, which was a famous book! But whenever I ask anyone, they've never heard of it? So I guess it's not too well known.
    [​IMG]

5. Simo

Simo Skunk

I've heard of this, and have always wanted to read it. If I'm not mistaken, it was supposed to be autobiographical, but later, was revealed to be part fiction...but it doesn't seem to be this would diminish its impact, from what I've heard. I'll have to add this to my list.

euthanizedCanine likes this.
  6. rhansen23

rhansen23 Sailorhusky

Ted Dekker novels are really good. The religious overtones become heavy-handed and anvilicious at times, but they're an excellent example of allegorical works that build from a source work without straight up stealing. Plus I like the worldbuilding in his circle trilogy.

7. xxgato

xxgato New Member

I really like the Ratha series by Clare Bell! It's essentially Warriors before Warriors was a thing. xD It's about a group of ancient clan cats called the "Named", and centers around Ratha, a yearling who learns how to tame the "Red Tongue" (fire). It's very interesting!

8. ShadowSibling

ShadowSibling Quietly Lurking

The Graceling Realms series. Wonderful fantasy with a perfect blend of action and romance.

9. StealYourFace

StealYourFace long live Jerry

The Dragon Age trilogy. No relation to the game series. It's pretty fuckin' rad. A mix of fantasy, sci fi, and botched history.

10. anEternalWinter

anEternalWinter New Member

Has anyone ever heard of Walter Moers' Zamonia books?

I started with Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures, which is a great epic fantasy tale (it follows the hero's journey to the letter) about a young wolf-deer hybrid finding his place in the world (and underworld)

But The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear is also fantastic, and contains more historical, philosophical and literary references than I could have imagined when I first read it.

And if you're into food, the Alchemaster's Apprentice is a must.

11. TidesofFate

TidesofFate Your friendly neighborhood Executioner

Try the Fourland Casfle series. The books are The Year of Our War, No Present like Time, The Modern World/Dangerous Offspring(tittle differs in the US and Uk), and Abpve the Snowline(which is a prequel). Book 5 is coming out this year, it is called Fair Rebel. The series is primarily Fantasy, but it blends in some Science Fiction elements. It's very well written.

12. RinkuTheRuffian

RinkuTheRuffian Punished "Venom" Rinku

There's this REALLY underground book I've read called "Mein Kampf" by a fellow named Hitler. He seemed to be a BIG Wolfenstein fan.

SniperCoon2882 likes this.
  13. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

"John Dies at the End" and "This Book is Full of Spiders", fantastic dilogy by David Wong. One of the only books I've read that combine comedy and horror perfectly - humorous moments come from more or less realistic life situations and character's attempts of keeping grip on sanity by laughing it off, rather than dumb gags, and when scary stuff happens, it's really freaking scary.

14. EmmaChib

EmmaChib New Member

Its not that obscure, but The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix is one I find a lot of people haven't heard of.

15. Bellatrixx

Bellatrixx New Member

I really liked this one book, The Moon Key. It's a pre-teen novel I got from Dollar General, but it's surprisingly decent. I like the idea and potential behind it. Plus it's not a cheesy romance which is a bonus as usually the teen novels I read are.

Edit: Thinking on it, I'm not sure this counts but The DragonRiders of Pern is a good series.

16. anEternalWinter

anEternalWinter New Member

I love the magic system in those books! Color spectrum magic is the coolest thing.

17. LindyHop

LindyHop Bring me my brown pants!

The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins (the author of the hunger games). It chronicles the journey of Gregor, kid who falls into the sewer underneath New York City and discovers a civilization of underland humans and large sentient and intelligent animals.

Gone Series by Michael Grant, an impenetrable barrier surrounds a coastal city and everyone over the age of 15 disappears. Soon booth children and animals within the barrier begin to mutate and gain super powers.

Skinjacker Trilogy, Neal Shusterman, A series which tells follows several children as they try to find their way back to their old lives after falling into a void between life and death known as Everlost.

Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman, In post Heartland war America the abortion debate has finally been settled by the passing of an accord which allows parents to sign over their children between the ages of 13-18 to be unwound and their body parts will be reused in transplants.

Running with Scissors, Magical Thinking, Dry, A Wolf at the Table, Possible Side Effects, all by Augusten Burroughs, all memoirs of the author's life and his struggle with drugs and alcohol, his messed up childhood, and his strained relationship with his parents.

Mostly YA books but still good read imo.

18. Rott-i-kins

Rott-i-kins Member

Johannes Cabal series. Dark, witty, and awesome.

19. Damakoes

Damakoes New Member

I was gonna suggest a series, but when i went to check the spelling, i discovered it was this this series, but i know it as the Abhorsen Trilogy, so i'm gonna suggest the Legend of Drizzet by R.A. Salvator. I've only finished a of the books in the series, but I really like the story and characters.

20. SniperCoon2882

SniperCoon2882 The insomniatic marksman

I was considering reading that at disneyland when i was waiting in line, but was worried about the beatings I would receive from everyone who knew about that book... don't like the ideas in it, just curious about the specifics... especially since it laid out his plans in pretty full and explicit details.

If u like mars colonization sci-fi with HARD science, read the Red Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson... really good books that do pretty much everything right.

If u like alien invasion stories with hard science, read "Footfall" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

I also loved animorphs as a third grader :p (read a book in the series per day basically)... I think that was one of the first things that made me turn towards being furry.