Best book series that you have read that is not very well known

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Takeo Wolf, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Rattled

Rattled New Member

Dune is a popular series, but I've not come across many people who've actually read it. It's a really amazing Sci-fi series, if you're into that.

Another book, one that I read during Elementary school I believe, was Island of the Blue Dolphins. It's about a Native American girl who was stranded. It's a children's novel, and not actually a series, but that was a book that always stuck with me. Unfortunately, I'm never able to find others who have also read it, and I don't own a copy of it myself. Yet.

Okami_No_Heishi likes this.
  2. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Dune is more or less like Lord of the Rings and Dark Tower - very popular in pop culture, but its longevity and complexity scares people off.

3. SniperCoon2882

SniperCoon2882 The insomniatic marksman

I've read it, but its been a LONG time since that happened.. so i only remember very basic details.

4. Rattled

Rattled New Member

I suppose that's true, which is kind of sad. Dune is an amazing read, in my opinion. I love seeing how intricate that fictional universe is.

Oh, are you talking about Island of the Blue Dolphins? Because if so, that's really nice! Did you enjoy it when you read it?

5. Coffee Lion

Coffee Lion Caffeine Headache

The Belgariad and the sequel The Mallorean series by David Eddings. He also has another good series known as Elenium and it's sequel Tamuli but I have yet to finish those. These David Eddings stories are very Fantasy, featuring magic, magical rocks with minds of their owns, grumpy-ass sorcerers, sardonic side characters, great gods, evil gods, mischievous gods who purposely become the protag's blood relative, smack-talking kings and queens, monsters, dragons, people shape shifting into wolves and birds, magical long journeys featuring the chosen one, those sort of things.

Some other great books are The Sight and Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies.
    Both of these stories are of the same universe, but during different times, I recommend reading Fire Bringer first because it takes place first. Both stories are kind of centered around a legend of a being who can see with a sixth sense and has the power to speak to all beings. Fire Bringer is about a Red Deer who gains this power. The second story, The Sight, is about a pack of wolves, specifically a brother and sister who gain a very similar ability.

6. coldbrew

coldbrew Actually doesn't drink cold brew that much

He should be pretty famous by now, but back when I started, Scott Sigler's "Infected" trilogy (second book "Contagious" and third "Pandemic") was still an audiobook. Really pulled me into horror and got me into writing. Afterward it's Matthew Reilly's books, namely the Scarecrow series and the Jack West trilogy (Seven Ancient Wonders, Six Sacred Stones and Five Greatest Warriors) which really reminded me of classic Indiana Jones-esque adventures. Should be pretty well-known in Australia but here I haven't met anyone who's heard of him.

7. Agatha-Hart

Agatha-Hart New Member

I really enjoyed the Captive Prince series! If you're looking for high-fantasy gay fiction with a side of political intrigue, I'd totally recommend it. Definitely don't base judgements too much on the first book though, the main character doesn't understand anything that's going on (political intrigue goes over his head) and it makes the other main character seem almost unacceptably awful.

For something lighter, I'd recommend Howl's Moving Castle and House of Many Ways by Dianna Wynne Jones!

8. Iceeat

Iceeat Member

Hard to say really but I think some of my fav fictional reads were "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Here there be Dragons". I also LOVED the Maximum Ride serises for the longest time but lost my love with the book Angel.

9. Tetrachroma

Tetrachroma Cheers to the deers

Guardians of Ga'Hoole. It's a 16-part series where all the characters are owls that live in an entire fictional landmass. The books even have maps and everything!
    [​IMG]

10. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

I'll cough up two: Edward Willett's The Helix War dilogy and Andrew Swann's Moreau Series.

[​IMG]
    The former is about the efforts of a human colony on a distant oceanic world, and especially their genetically modified Selkie brethren, when their backwater home is discovered and assaulted by the tyrannical theocratic regime that they fled Earth from seventy years prior.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The latter is a biopunk/noir series set during a mid-21st century era where "moreaus," humanoid and animal hybrids, and "frankensteins," genetically-modified humans, live as second-class citizens. Two of the novels in the setting focus on tiger moreau Nohar Rajasthan, who is first seen eking out a career as a private eye in Cleveland; the other two novels focus on characters that appear in the first novel: rabbit moreau Angel Lopez and Israeli frankenstein Evi Isham.

The Moreau series was apparently well-received by the fandom when it was first published in the '90s (most of the fanmail for it has been from furries), but with the number of furries whom I've met who have even heard of it, I get the impression that it's not as well-known among most of the newcomers.

11. semater

semater High King of Furgasta

[​IMG] This is one very intense novel about two feral foxes and the modern day world they must try and survive in. Sadly, this book is out of print and pricey as hell online if you want a hardcover copy.

12. sho-shonojo

sho-shonojo New Member

Second this. Firebringer and The Sight were both fantastic. It's a shame that Fell, his sequel to The Sight didn't quite have the same magic that the previous books did.

Yes! Some really well written books.

As far as my picks, I would say the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey is my top favorite. A concubine in an alternate history France who gets involved in high society and war and all sorts of fun stuff. Oh and there's lots of BDSM sex.

Then there's the Temeraire novels by Naomi Novik. Another alternate history, this one taking place during the Napoleonic wars, but with the addition of dragons!

13. zidders

zidders Member

Spider Robinson's Callahan's Cross-time Saloon series is a great read. I know it was pretty popular with sci-fi fans when it came out but It's been awhile since they were published. It would be sad to see them fade into obscurity. Another great series is Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow & Thorn' series. Some folks might remember Tad as the author of Tailchaser's Song which was a pretty popular book with furry folk back when the fandom was first getting started.

14. Winter

Winter Not really here

I always like to promote Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner Series (7 books, starts with Luck in the Shadows) and Tamir Triad (3 books, starts with The Bone Doll's Twin). Both are very well-written fantasy tales, set in the same world but at different times. Memorable characters, imaginative settings and captivating plots. Good mix of humour, adventure and elements of horror from time to time. Sounds like a commercial, but that's how I feel about them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd also like to recommend Jordan L Hawk's Whyborne and Griffin series (8 books still ongoing, starts with Widdershins). These books are set in the US, late 19th and early 20th century, and include both fantasy and horror elements, as well as the strife of a gay couple living in an age when homosexuality is illegal. Word of warning though; all books include scenes of gay sex, quite explicit.
    [​IMG]

15. Coffee Lion

Coffee Lion Caffeine Headache

I didn't even realize The Sight had a sequel. :eek:
    Although, I know that the author has written several other books that I wish to read.

16. Kurrundo the light fox

Kurrundo the light fox Ascended Kitsune

I recommend "The otherworld series" and "The Indigo court" books so good if you go with otherworld you have stories involving three fae sisters. The oldest is a witch who is beautiful and powerful, the middle child is a former accrobat turned vampire who owns a private investigation agency, and the youngest is a golden tabby/ panther shifter who also happens to be a Valkyrie.
    And with the Indigo court books you have a lost owl shifter princess with a air elemental guardian who is having to deal with a war in her hometown. Both series are really good and if you like fantasy these are the books for you. Yasmine Galenorn really outdid herself.

17. Aaron Whitepaw

Aaron Whitepaw White wolf

I like the Sanctuary series by Robert J Crane. the series has murder, violence, politics, betrayals, romance, backstabbing, battles, etc. still waiting for the last book to come out

18. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

BattleTech. The book series started in 1987. Got into in '88. I bought everyone that came out. A lot of them are hard to find now because they're out of print. But all the different writers put on a helluva show, and I cried when it all came to an end. Yeah, I'm sappy.

bhutrflai and Aaron Whitepaw like this.
  19. Aaron Whitepaw

Aaron Whitepaw White wolf

20. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

Omg! I read that! Her tribe was washed away by a tsunami, and she was the only survivor. Her and a wolf(wasn't it a wolf?). And they caught a squid(or was it an octopus?). Great novel. And I own all the Dune books, even the last few. Love that story. Nothing like a drug addicted galaxy!!

Aaron Whitepaw likes this.