Blocked people

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Zahur, Dec 6, 2017.

?

Would it be a good idea?

1. Yes

63.6%
  2. No

36.4%
  1. Zahur

Zahur The eastern rift dragon

Hello,
    I see that whenever I block someone, said "someone" can still watch me and stalk my contents, is it possible that when we block someone, automatically his watch gets removed/my content be hidden from him/her?

Thanks for your time.

2. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

I am indifferent, mostly because if you block someone, and your content is also blocked from their view, you then have free rein to insult them as much as you want without them knowing.

FurryChutoy57 likes this.
  3. Zahur

Of course, the reason is not to insult them freely, just to not get stalked by an unpleasant person

PerrMea and Ciderfine like this.
  4. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

And the reason for blocking people is so they don't do so as well, but there are people who would abuse that. In G+, you can block someone, and you can't see the things they post, however, they can slander you and insult you all they want and you'd never know. All I'm pointing out is the reality of what would happen eventually.

5. Zahur

Calling out people is against site's rule being blocked or not, it's just using your brain and your conscience at this point and being aware of site's rule.
    Having a blocked person stalking your data/journals/everything instead, it's just annoying

6. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Logically chaotic and twice as charming

I am for using the tools at your disposal if you wish to use them.

Even if you block someone for a moronic reason that is still your right given to you with the tools available. Even if tools are available doesn't mean you necessarily have to use them.

I have blocked 3 people. You really need to achieve true levels of stupid for me to block you. Plenty of people block me. I don't care about it. I move on with my day. I don't get stuck on who blocks who.

Ciderfine likes this.
  7. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

Not accurate. If it's reported or seen that you are antagonizing or harassing someone whom you have blocked, you will receive your own infraction for Harassment.

8. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

Or trying to circumvent the system :rolleyes:

Ciderfine likes this.
  9. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

I don't agree with blocking unless it's against a perpetually harassing person. But then they're breaking the rules, so i don't see any reason to use the blocking function here.

Dongding and Ciderfine like this.
  10. silveredgreen

silveredgreen Determined Dragon

If someone wants to continue talking shit about you even after a block, its really their problem and not yours. If you block them that's your way of saying "i refuse to put up with your shit any longer". Their persistent shit talking is a sign of immaturity and will only result in them getting into trouble. If you can't see it, you shouldn't worry unless its actually doing harm to you.

11. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

If it's suspected that someone is trying to get around or evade a block that should be reported as well, with either a trouble ticket on the main site or a Report here on the forum.

Yakamaru and Mabus like this.
  12. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

It was already dealt with :D.

13. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Well-Known Member

If you refuse to block someone that's harassing you, you're also hampering our ability to do much about their behavior. Staff interference is for when blocking fails, not an excuse to not use the block function.

To be clear, they can remain a watcher, but they can't start watching you if you have them blocked.

A big reason why blocks do not force unwatches is because of the potential for abuse. If we were to change site behavior to do that, it would likely also be coupled with notifications to the general effect of "your watch of <username> has been terminated due to that user blocking you" so that we don't have the site making silent changes to someone's account.

Hiding content from blocked users is not terribly effective due to how easy such measures are to circumvent. While we understand there are cases where this would be desirable, for most situations preventing the user from making contact with the blocking party should be sufficient to prevent e.g. further harassment.

14. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

No, it's your job to ban people who perpetually harass people and start arguments, like a recent poster here who would randomly explode and turn normal threads into flame wars. Per your own rules, you'll ban or give warnings to people who break the rules. I have no need to use the blocking system due to that. People shouldn't have to use the blocking feature or you're admitting that you can't do your jobs, or maybe you're understaffed or something.

[snip]

Note that I've been restricting this argument to the forum. On the broader website, I could see it being harder to ban people for everything that irks other people, and some people simply don't want to see stuff from an artist who, say, posts vore 10x a day and so it pops up in searches all the time.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. Zahur

1. I would rather have the user to know that I've blocked them and the system has removed them from my watch than having him/her stalk my content, to be honest.
    2.It is not really, I mean, to evade a block the only way would be the one to create another account, and it is against the site's rule to do that, or in a 'legal' way to ask a friend to check on the people that blocked you, but still, that means you can't check directly the person content content

16. quoting_mungo

Sometimes it's that straightforward.

A lot of the time, "harassment" could mean "this person is telling me things I don't want to hear", and for that... nope. Not our job to police that - blocking the user would solve the problem more efficiently than we ever could, anyway. In these cases, we're here to tell people off if they circumvent the block, not for having a bedside manner you (general you, not you specifically) don't approve of.

Fair enough. Just saying that's a concern; not everyone would be okay with it, and I can understand either position.

If guest access to your content is enabled, they could view your general submissions and journals just by logging out, much like on Twitter you can view the tweets of someone who blocked you by logging out of your account. We would also not really be able to prove someone used their alt account to view a specific user's content, so since we permit individuals to hold multiple accounts, it would be an unenforceable form of block evasion.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    aloveablebunny and Yakamaru like this.
  17. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Logically chaotic and twice as charming

^ This.

When you block or are being blocked, any and all interaction and/or mentioning by name directly will cease at that instant. If you circumvent the block by making an alt account, that's a rule broken if I remember my FA/FAF rules correctly.

It's simple to see if you are being blocked or have blocked, really. When you see someone posting with a blackened "Unknown member", that's the blocker/blocked person. You can't see by whom you've been blocked, only those whom you have blocked.

Regardless of the reason for blocking or being blocked, it's a tool you can use if you feel the need, want or the urge to use. Got blocked? Tough luck. Move on with your day. Kicking up a fuss about it is counterproductive and utterly useless.

18. Ciderfine

Ciderfine Slow as sickness but true as sap

While I think blocking people is a good idea, it is very primitive in its state here. You can still see that person being active, you can still see their work and they can too. Ive had creepers, mean people, spammers or fights break out, but the blocking doesnt solve so many issues, its stops them from reaching a point by leaving the issue frozen in time.

Blocking should act as a blacklist, and as other options to remain "invisible" like how twitter or Tumblr functions. The more control on not just yourside you can have in terms of the new aspects and dark parts of online such as..."stalking" "spamming favs and then removing them all" etc. We need to make new things to keep up with todays hetic and trolly online world. Keeping things black and white wont really solve the new issues.

Zahur and Yakamaru like this.
  19. Zahur

Marry me

Yakamaru likes this.
  20. Hybrid Persona

Hybrid Persona Submit to the blue.

I really don't get why people are so anxious that blocked people are looking at their content. I can understand fave spam is pretty annoying so perhaps we should implement a way to where blocked people's fave notifications don't show up in your notification bar. That would be nice indeed.

As to actually barring content from people you block though, no, I don't agree with that. And in any case, it would be hell to try to enforce. If you know how, it is sooo easy to just make another account to circumvent blocking and banning. Even if it's an IP ban.

BahgDaddy likes this.
  21. quoting_mungo

Blocked people haven't been able to favorite your content in quite some time now. :)

22. Hybrid Persona

Hm. That is a way to do it, although I think that's a little overkill.

23. Zahur

Overkill? It's creepy that someone that you block would be able to do that

24. Hybrid Persona

Who cares if they favorite your content though as long as they can't spam your notification bar anymore?

25. Zahur

I care actually, hence why I made this post