Body proportion attemp

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by ClinkertheLion, Jul 5, 2017.

1. ClinkertheLion

ClinkertheLion Coal dust and noisy things

So. I attempted some body proportions of my fursona, who is a fairly overweight character.
    Thoughts?
    IMG_0212.JPG

2. fralea

fralea Member

I think its a great start! I like the bodytype you chose and how you drew the mane. ^^

Be careful though about making sure all your proportions are consistent not only between drawings but within the same drawing. For example, on the front-facing figure, use a ruler or a folded piece of paper to measure the length of the two arms. They should be the same, but I can tell that one is significantly longer. Double checking thigh-to-thigh, forearm-to-forearm, etc measurements is a good habit to get into regardless.

The other suggestion I have is to learn some of the main "landmarks" of human proportions and take those into account in your drawing. Since anthros aren't strictly human you can make some adjustments based on your preference of course, but the more human-like your design is the more deviations away from human standard will look strange. The main one that I see in your drawings here is that usually the fingertips of the hand should reach to about mid-thigh when the arm is relaxed by the side. This makes your arms in your drawing look somewhat stunted. You drew the hands pretty small, so unless that's a specific character trait you wanted, just making the hands bigger would probably help a lot.

I really do like the look of the character so far though, they just have a really friendly vibe. :)

Hope this helps you!

ClinkertheLion likes this.
  3. elvenboyslut

elvenboyslut Cartoonist

Don't worry about proportion just yet. Pay attention to structure first. Lightly draw very general shapes. That way, you can erase them without losing you lines. You can properly place the "meat" so size reads as weight on the character. [random example I googled]

4. fralea

fralea Member

Well I think its pretty impossible to fully separate structure and proportion when you are talking about the human body. You can draw a single circle without any proportion, but once you start adding anything else to the paper you are making decisions about the proportions, you know? The early sketch phase that you are talking about is exactly when you should be thinking about proportions most imo.

5. elvenboyslut

elvenboyslut Cartoonist

I am talking about learning to sketch, if that makes sense. (I should have clarified that). Understanding structure is an important step in learning what decisions to make in proportions. Your skill with proportions fall into place over time through observation and practice, without the measuring and charts anyway, so there's no point in worrying about it this early on. Of course, later on, it should be something actively worked on, along with anatomy.

It's more about not spending brainpower where it's wasted for efficiency in learning and solid improvement. (I hope I did a better job explaining this time).

6. fralea

fralea Member

Eh.... not really. You'll learn much faster and efficiently if you "waste" brainpower learning good habits. Not sure what you are getting at with the charts thing, I just mentioned very basic stuff. Recognizing when two lines at different angles (the arms) are the same length or not is a good skill to develop as early as possible. Eventually its something you'll be able to "see" but thats a skill that needs to be learned. The only reason I mentioned "measuring" (and by measuring i meant very basic comparative measuring, not actually caring about mm length) is so that OP can visualize the difference in length. Your brain will tend to "correct" things on its own... if you meant the arms to be the same length you'll see them the same length until you learn to "see" better. That's why in digital art people flip their canvases often. Sorry I don't know the technical terms for any of this stuff.