Book Spotlight: Post your fave art books

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by Jw, May 14, 2011.

1. Joseph Shepard's anatomy book is awesome for learning proportions, too. I'm a little uncomfortable with learning anatomy from drawings and not photos though, but whatever.

Well since everyone already posted my favorites, I guess I'll post a title that everyone here is going to balk at.
    More How to Draw Manga Vol. 1 The Basics of Character Design by Go Office
    [​IMG]
    Go Office's How to Draw Manga series are the only how to draw manga books that I would ever recommend to anyone. Seriously, don't touch anything else.
    I learned how stylism works, how real life translates to stylistic drawings, how using IRL photos as a reference for even the most cartoony picture can help, how hair looks shit tons better when there's a pattern/swirl to it, and a bunch of random stuff (like that shoulder/hips thing) from this.
    And it's made by real Japanese people! :p

My one complaint is that it's not very organized. Everything's in its proper chapter, but you can tell that this is a bunch of artists dumping every little thing they know and think will help.

The series has been out of production for years now though, and the only ones you're going to find are online used copies and questionably-legal uploaded ones. If you're going to google it, google the whole title I underlined. wink. wink.

Books for inspiration:

Random things inspire me, but I guess I probably should post books that make me really want to draw something.
    Let's start with my favorite dragon book.
    [​IMG][x]

Warning: This book single-handedly could make someone completely and utterly obsessed with dragons. Proceed with caution.
    Downside? The art and (probably made-up-on-the-spot) myths may jump start my imagination and leave me in awe, but Ciruelo's art is also pretty intimidating so it has a chance of having the reverse effect as far as inspiring goes.

This book, though, is a surefire way to get me to draw something.
    Kingyo Used Books
    [​IMG][x]
    It's a cute manga about how comic books and art bring people together. My description sounds awful, but it's a real page-turner and you'll be smiling the whole time.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Tigercougar

Tigercougar Member

I was following the Kingyo manga at one point. It is inspiring, but the nature of it means that it refers to a lot of manga that's never been translated into English. Don't buy it if you don't enjoy reading a copious amount of notes in the back of the book.

3. Knowing the mangas mentioned isn't really the point. The notes are basically just there in case you're interested.
    You pretty much get the picture when they're mentioned.

Besides, it's better that you don't know the titles that are mentioned, which, again, may be mentioned but isn't close to what the focus is at all. If you don't know them, it prevents reader dissonance like 'well, i didn't actually like that manga at all' happening.

4. Arshes Nei

Arshes Nei Masticates in Public

There is just too much awesome to ignore this book.
    I really love how Marko was able to illustrate and get design down right.

http://amzn.com/0785139621

[​IMG]

5. Arshes Nei

Arshes Nei Masticates in Public

There is just too much awesome to ignore this book.
    I really love how Marko was able to illustrate and get design down right.

http://amzn.com/0785139621

[​IMG]

6. QT Melon

QT Melon AMF Member

7. Zydala

Zydala Kisses for everyone!

8. Tigercougar

Tigercougar Member

9. UnburntDaenerys

UnburntDaenerys R'hllor Coaster

So Richard Schmid is releasing an updated and expanded edition of Alla Prima, called Alla Prima II.

[​IMG]

The original Alla Prima is out of print and sells for around $300 used. It is considered THE book on representational painting.

10. squiddysquiddysquiddy

squiddysquiddysquiddy Lv. 3 Rage Squid

George Bridgman's books are very useful, I got the triple pack of his Body, heads and Hands books.

11. squiddysquiddysquiddy

squiddysquiddysquiddy Lv. 3 Rage Squid

There's a shitload of HOW TO DRAW books ready posted, so how about some books featuring art now?

My favorite art book so far is the Dark Souls Designworks book. It's filled with gorgeous production pieces, concept art, level design... delicious goodies in the gorgeous dark theme of Dark Souls showing off the creative processes of making the game.

12. UnwieldyRoomba

UnwieldyRoomba HYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

High Focus Drawing is very good if you already have experience in life drawing with models, and have some art skill, and is mostly really helpful for pushing more movement and intensity into them. I personally found it really helpful in all the examples it has! Would definitely look at reviews as they explain it a bit more.
    [​IMG]

13. DizzyDame

DizzyDame Tipping the scales

The best one I've ever found for drawing animals is "The Weatherly Guide to Drawing Animals" the author really shows how to draw movement and volume with good anatomy like nothing else, even drawing them from life. I have it with me if people want photos inside. My uncle bought it for me a few years ago, so the book is very important to me.
    The Weatherly Guide to Drawing Animals: Joe Weatherly: 9780971031418: Amazon.com: Books