Can felt be used for a suit head, if not what can?

Discussion in 'Fursuiting and Costuming' started by Natalie D., Oct 25, 2017.

1. Natalie D.

Natalie D. Sandhill Crane

I am not a maker, but I'm planning on making a dragon partial for myself. Since it won't be a furred dragon, I'm wondering if felt would work on the head? If not is there any kind of extremely short fur I could use for it? If possible it would nice if it was on the cheaper side, as I am a minor and planning on paying for this myself.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

You can use just about any material provided it can be worked with and is non-toxic. Best thing to do is discuss the best options with the maker, they're the most knowledgeable on the subject.

3. Natalie D.

Natalie D. Sandhill Crane

This thread is mainly directed at makers who can point me in the direction of fabrics that work well, as I am going to make it myself

4. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

I would use fleece instead. Felt is just gonna fight you every step of the way, refusing to lay down evenly over curved surfaces. Muppets were made from fleece, for example.

5. Exdraghunt

Exdraghunt Member

Agreed. Felt is a stiff fabric that can feel rather scratchy, and it doesn't stretch. Fleece usually has at least a mild stretch, and you can hide your stitches in it easier. (Bonus, fleece is fairly cheap and comes in a variety of colors. If you're in the states, JoAnn fabrics almost always has some kind of fleece sale going on. )