Can I have some help? Struggling between art styles

Discussion in 'Art & Illustration' started by Jevlin, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Jevlin

Jevlin New Member

I'm so confused. Long story short my teachers insult me for a time to stop drawing in Disney-like styles because it makes me a "cheap artist". So I started to draw in a less-Disney-like style but then some of my friends were shocked and started to say they miss my old one. Now I'm using both, Disney style for the internet and stylized for school. I like both of them so it was okay. But now I would like to make a comic with an amazing writer and I don't know what style I should use. Because I like working in both of them, I'd rather want the one what people like the most. What do you think about it? I'm sorry, I know it's a stupid question but I hope I could have some help from you. It would be a really big help.

First style:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second style:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chaospunk666 and Bluey Grifter like this.
  2. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

Tell your teachers to fuck off, the first style looks great

3. chaospunk666

chaospunk666 hungry ghost

Seconding Amiir re: teachers.
    Maybe they became teachers because they're too stuck-up to be artists themselves, with an opinion like that. "Cheap", pff. Do they have any clue how much money Disney & co. make? That's a huge company with fucking job opportunities, man. After all, artists gotta eat, too! (You can tell them I said that, if you like.) /rant

Anyway, re: comic, I'd say use whichever fits they story better. If that won't help, go with the first, since you say your friends like it (and I take the comic ain't a school project), so go for what folks who'd read it want to see (as long as it's your style--don't do something solely because people like it, but I suspect you already know that).

That said, awesome art there, especially the first pic's amazing. Great job.

OakenheelTheWolf and Jevlin like this.
  4. Bluey Grifter

Bluey Grifter Member

I got told at art college not to draw 'black lines around things' because that's not real life! Erm... if I want to draw black lines around things I WILL. You won't be under your teachers forever. I think you have talent. My favourite is the faces facing each other. Would love to commission you to draw me like that!

Jevlin and chaospunk666 like this.
  5. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

Being more flexible in "style" is better than drilling just one for years.

Additionally, every art teacher, if not every artist and "artist"(lol me_irl) and critic is going to be allergic to some particular style.

Orcashia and Jevlin like this.
  6. Xaroin

Xaroin the Contradictory

lol the first style is really nice, just stick with it

Jevlin likes this.
  7. WolfyJake

WolfyJake Professional Cuddlefluff

First style is awesome! But I also agree that it's probably a good thing to be adept in more styles than just one.

Jevlin likes this.
  8. chaospunk666

chaospunk666 hungry ghost

Agreed, it is good (and necessary!) to try out (and get some degree of proficiency in) more than one style, because every new style teaches you new stuff, and you always wanna keep learning and improving. I don't think anybody argues with that.

And as Rykhoteth said, yes, somebody's always gonna hate it, no matter what style you use.

What infuriates me personally (I have issues with teachers, can you tell) is when folks who are supposed to teach you something as subjective (and personal) as art that what you do is no good just because it's not to their personal taste. Style has nothing to do with technical stuff. They can tell you "the perspective is all wrong" or "that's not how anatomy works", because you gotta learn the basics (duh). And they should make people to try out different styles and media and whatnot, of course. But judge style? NOPE. Not their damn call.

I'll shut up now.

9. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

Well, I mean, if I were paying for a class, or had to take a class, and I'm still learning something, I'd try new stuff in the style department just to get more out of the professor. Art is a PITA to drill by yourself, it's much better if you make the most out of having an on-demand critic. Once you're outside of a class, you won't be getting help anywhere near as good, so make the most of it even if that means bending over backwards a little for them.

The "don't get stuck in one style" thing in my opinion usually applies more towards online criticism resulting in self-taught artists who sit in a safeplace and never leave.

chaospunk666 and Jevlin like this.
  10. Square-Wave_Kittycat

Square-Wave_Kittycat The Mewsician

The first style is incredible, the second style is below par, no contest. Use the first style.

Jevlin likes this.
  11. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

Fuck what the teach said, first style is great, but I also think some of the second style is pretty good too.
    Personally would totally read something with that kinda stylization.

Jevlin likes this.
  12. Tsuko-chi

Tsuko-chi Tsuko speaking.

I think what you teacher is failing to teach is the difference between practice and performance. A lot of people struggle between professors and there art styles. Your teacher is really rude, but practice with your teacher(probaby fine art and realism) and perform in your art style. All art and creativity comes from the world. Learn every form of art and let it impact you and help you understand what kind of artist you are. It seem's stiffling from teachers but your not going to always be in that class. Try new forms of art and if it's not you then you can cross that off the list.

What I am saying is "what you practice in class doesn't have to be the way you perform your art" As in posting in online and making final pieces. Most teachers don't want you to perform in class as to practice new things.

I hope this gives insight.

13. Jevlin

Jevlin New Member

Thank you so much for all the replies. I got so much help from you all and I don't feel myself as confused anymore as before. You said such good things about the art in the class and in the real life I couldn't see before. I took my teachers too serious about everything. Now I understand there is some truth in the way they're thinking like you said before artist shouldn't stick with only one style instead of improving and learning new things but maybe it was a little bit much from them.

It makes more sense and I can understand this. I wish I could know this before to avoid confusions.

Again, thank you for all the advises and nice words it was really helpful.

chaospunk666 and Tsuko-chi like this.
  14. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Art teachers get to see lots of styles, talents and different kinds of students. Sometimes art teachers, like other artists can start to associate styles or even subgenres like manga inspired and Disney-esque cartoons with negative experiences. if they had lots of stubborn or shitty students who all seemed to prefer certain styles, i might begin to understand why some styles might feel "cheap" or over-used to that artist/teacher. That or maybe your teacher had their resume/portfolio rejected by Disney.

With that said, both styles are acceptable and done well, each in their own way.

chaospunk666 likes this.
  15. Keefur

Keefur aka Cutter Cat

You have to do what is best for you. If you worked for Disney, what style do you think THEY would want you to draw? I like both styles, and if you are comfortable with both, then use them both. Each style has its merits, but in the end, you have to strike a balance between what you love and what makes you money. I can appreciate what your teacher is trying to tell you, however.

16. Myla

Myla Urgh

Sometimes person's style is in the way of learning new things. They have become accustomed to doing things in a certain way that works for them. But they don't try new things or realize the mistakes of their habits and tell themselves that it's just the style.

I think that it is a good thing to try many different styles and ways to approach drawing and painting. At school they will make you create art in many ways that are out of your comfort zone and wouldn't try on your own, so when you have the chance you should just try to take in all the new info and techniques you learn during school. And when you take all that you have learned from experimenting and trying and failing to your more comfortable drawing style, it only makes it better and stronger.

Remember that school work is different from your personal work. Teachers can't tell you what to do on your free time. Just do what you love or try something crazy.

17. kaive

kaive New Member

Quite a lot of styles. Counting at least 6

The "I've promised you something... w-whaaaat?" looks like the best fit for a comic, first pic for a cover picture--but it really depends on the comic. Gotta trust your instincts.

18. Orcashia

Orcashia Blue Orca

I agree with others about doing what the teacher is trying to teach you but when not in class, draw what YOU enjoy creating! Remember, the teacher has their own style as well. Even if a teacher's style is different from your own the basics will always be the same. How to shade. Shape. Etcetera. As for collaborating on a comic, find out what style the writer envisions for the art side of his/her writing.

I also enjoy your work! They both are great.

Tsuko-chi likes this.
  19. Kipekee Reddington

Kipekee Reddington All American Flying Foxdog

Your teacher is a jerk. Draw however you want! It's your art! No one call tell you who to be!

20. Revous

Revous Member

To be honest, your teacher is not wrong. If you learn more complex/traditional drawing styles, your "Disney" style will see an absurd improvement too.

The things we learn are for improving as artists, the things we draw are for pleasure or work. Don't take it as an insult, take it as an opportunity to broaden your skills! :3