Colors tinting toward base color in SAI?

Discussion in 'Art & Illustration' started by Huglust, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Huglust

Huglust New Member

I've been playing with colors and learning however much I can but I recently noticed something that is confusing the hell out of me.

If I pick a color like Brown(H 0:180 S:255 V:124) and I paint a spot at 100% opacity, density, and max pressure, then color sample it, the saturation and hue drop significantly. I have no layer effects on. For this I am using a basic brush with maximum edge hardness, full density, max size, 0 blending, 0 dilution, and 0 persistence.

The interesting thing is if I drag the saturation to full (255) and drop the color again, the hue will shift significantly toward the base color and lighter in saturation. This continues until I reach the base color. In the case of the Brown I've chosen, it keeps dropping until I reach primary Red but the saturation constantly drops to 167. Once the hue reaches Red, it stops changing and the saturation remains at 167. Every time I sample the color after dropping it, the saturation reduces from 255 to 167. I feel as though the color I sample should be the exact color I dropped if it hasn't been altered in any way.

Why does this happen? This really makes me question if every time I've sampled my base color I haven't actually gotten that color or even placed the exact color I'd chosen to begin with.

Edit: I should've mentioned sampling in the title. Doesn't seem like I can change that though >.>

2. KitKatChunKiss

KitKatChunKiss 2D/3D Artist

I had the same problem yearssss ago back in 2009-2010 when I would use Sai
    I never found the solution so I switched to Photoshop, and then to Krita.
    I'm glad to know today that I wasn't the only one with this issue. Most people I told about this didn't understand the problem.
    I hope you get to find a solution.

3. spacerogue

spacerogue New Member

I haven't used Sai in years but I recall having problems regarding colors, and the only explanation I'v found was that its a limitation of the software. I'm so glad I found out about Clip Paint studio, it was a true joy leaving Sai behind.

4. estiniens

estiniens stargazer

My only guess is that your eyedropper tool isn't selecting 'working layer' and is instead selecting 'all layers', but that's all I can come up with.