Colors tinting toward base color in SAI?

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by Huglust, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Huglust

Huglust New Member

I've been playing with colors and learning however much I can but I recently noticed something that is confusing the hell out of me.

If I pick a color like Brown(H 0:180 S:255 V:124) and I paint a spot at 100% opacity, density, and max pressure, then color sample it, the saturation and hue drop significantly. I have no layer effects on. For this I am using a basic brush with maximum edge hardness, full density, max size, 0 blending, 0 dilution, and 0 persistence.

The interesting thing is if I drag the saturation to full (255) and drop the color again, the hue will shift significantly toward the base color and lighter in saturation. This continues until I reach the base color. In the case of the Brown I've chosen, it keeps dropping until I reach primary Red but the saturation constantly drops to 167. Once the hue reaches Red, it stops changing and the saturation remains at 167. Every time I sample the color after dropping it, the saturation reduces from 255 to 167. I feel as though the color I sample should be the exact color I dropped if it hasn't been altered in any way.

Why does this happen? This really makes me question if every time I've sampled my base color I haven't actually gotten that color or even placed the exact color I'd chosen to begin with.

Edit: I should've mentioned sampling in the title. Doesn't seem like I can change that though >.>

2. KitKatChunKiss

KitKatChunKiss 2D/3D Artist

I had the same problem yearssss ago back in 2009-2010 when I would use Sai
    I never found the solution so I switched to Photoshop, and then to Krita.
    I'm glad to know today that I wasn't the only one with this issue. Most people I told about this didn't understand the problem.
    I hope you get to find a solution.

3. spacerogue

spacerogue New Member

I haven't used Sai in years but I recall having problems regarding colors, and the only explanation I'v found was that its a limitation of the software. I'm so glad I found out about Clip Paint studio, it was a true joy leaving Sai behind.

4. estiniens

estiniens stargazer

My only guess is that your eyedropper tool isn't selecting 'working layer' and is instead selecting 'all layers', but that's all I can come up with.