Comic Books

Discussion in 'Books, Comics, and Graphic Novels' started by Ikrit, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Ikrit

Ikrit I'm fired up!

I've just recently gotten into comic books

i started reading the darkness a while ago and really got into it, but now I've finished reading all of those and need something else to read.

i really enjoy a dark theme, and also enjoy anti-heros, can i get any recommendations?

FonzieThSuperWizard likes this.
  2. Rebel-lion

Rebel-lion Member

3. Cult

Cult I don't want to live forever

Revolution of the Mask, it was written by a Comic critic named Linkara, I highly recommend you look at his stuff.

Edit: I'd also read Watchmen.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. yackitysmackity

yackitysmackity Don't pick at it.

Cult hit the nail on the head with The Watchmen. It is one of the books that has raised the graphic novel medium to something that can be taken seriously as literature or at least as a medium that's no less important; no less relevant. All the main characters are very complex tapestries full of emotion, honor, the concept of right and wrong, and the human condition. The political and social problems Allen Moore writes about in this book are still relevant today and I guarantee you'll be finding yourself flip flopping on just which character's viewpoint is the "right" one. It's legendary storytelling, but that's pretty much the case with everything Allen Moore has written.

Another I highly recommend is Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead. I don't know if you're a fan of the show or not, but try not to let it influence you on the decision of reading this series. It is an entirely different beast. They just hit issue 94 and it shows no sign of slowing down. Over the course of the story you'll see characters fighting for survival in a world none of them were prepared to enter. The best "Zombie Apocalypse" stories are character pieces with the zombies almost taking a background role to what's going on with the actual characters and what they're experiencing emotionally and psychologically. The Walking Dead is no different. I've read through the series often and it always amazes me just how much the characters have changed compared to the first issues and where they are now. Most of them are complete shadows of their former selves. Some of them being downright terrifying now when it comes to their way of thinking and how to go about surviving. Though, don't get me wrong; it's not all just a character study. The book is still full of zombies, gore, extremely dark situations with no clear black or white outcomes, and major threats that are not hungry for flesh, but are still living and breathing. Also, just to mention, Kirkman has often made it apparent that the title of the book is not in reference to the zombies :3

Not sure if you're familiar with Invader Zim, but Jhonen Vasquez had some comics under his belt before the cartoon. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac (JTHM) is a hilariously dark and gory romp through the world of a serial killer that no matter how much he's tried; he just can't get caught. The art style is typical of Vasquez with just thick black ink and no colors. It really is laugh-out-loud hilarious and has some really "wacky", messed up, and unforgettable characters and situations.

Also, there's always the Punisher. He's the definition of an anti-hero and Garth Ennis' run on Punisher MAX was one of the goriest and best told Punisher stories I've ever read. Marvel also has Daken and the new Venom series going strong. Both being quite the anti-heroes.

I'll definitely remember some more today and post about them :3

5. TheMintyBun

TheMintyBun The most squishy of the buns.

The Spire , is pretty dark and fun to read.

Spire_003_A_Main.jpg

6. Wohali

Wohali Member

If you liked the darkness, have you tried Witchblade? The two characters were frequently crossed over and had similar styles. Also, at the time I was into the darkness I got into Spawn comics as well. It's dark and weird. I also can't talk comics and not suggest the 80s ninja turtles comics. They were dark and gritty, not very kid friendly.

7. aefields

aefields Member

The Sandman, by Neil Gaiman. Most everything I've read by him is excellent. And most of it is dark.

Lenore, by Roman Dirge. This is dark, but goofy.

So, if you check those out and say what you like and dislike about them I think I could give some more better suggestions :)

8. modfox

modfox Viking Archer Fox

sonic archie comics

9. Wonderloaf

Wonderloaf I'll kill me faster then you

Saga
    Outlast
    The woods
    Low
    Man many more... just ask away if you're interested, saga is my all time favorite.

10. FonzieThSuperWizard

FonzieThSuperWizard AAAAAAAAAAAAYAAA!!! *beats up his keyboard*

Kick-Ass is really good. Maybe Spawn would do the trick. I liked Deadpool and MAD as humorous comics. :3

11. Alex K

Alex K Guest

Comic books are a great source of knowledge for children.

My grandson only reads comic books and he got a high score on an IQ test!