Diversity and Equality in The Furry Fandom:

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr Insanity, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:26 PM.

?

Do you think these are good ideas:

1. Yes.

58.3%
  2. No.

41.7%
  3. I don't know?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Well, SOME people have to sound like pretentious twats, you pretentious twat. :D

Joking aside, it might be how you word things? I don't know. Personally at least, I didn't get that kind of vibe from talking with you.

Arcturus Maple and Mr Insanity like this.
  2. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

I've seen two users mock me for the vocabulary I use, which is fine, I'm not going to get huffy over that, but it does indicate there is a dissonance and/or awkwardness with the impression I make. I'm disinclined to conclude it's how I word things. I feel confident in how I phrase myself and the language I use to convey myself, though I could be just blissfully unaware, that's always a possibility.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM
    Mr Insanity likes this.
  3. Yakamaru

Words is our best and worst way of expressing ourselves. Be it an idea, philosophically, emotionally, or other ways/forms.

In order to properly express oneself you first need the words and proper sentence structure for it, and those words may not be available to you in your vocabulary at the time you're expressing yourself. You may learn and understand words later on, that you intended to use to express yourself previously. That has happened to me a lot of times, especially in the recent months.

If you express yourself poorly through words(could be anything from poor choice of words to not knowing the proper terms and definitions at the time), what you want to express, and how you are seen as expressing it, come off as completely different.

Words is our only good way of communicating with one another, as we don't have telepathy.

4. KimberVaile

Yes, that's all true, but you know, I don't really see myself failing to understand that, you could always provide examples if you don't agree, but you're actually confusing me. I don't see myself failing to do that.

This is also getting way off topic, so you can PM me for the sake of the threads integrity.

Mr Insanity likes this.
  5. Yakamaru

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not saying you're doing it. It's just a general statement.

Words is the only way for people to properly communicate. And sometimes you may use the wrong words than what you intended to use, the wrong context of the words, etc.

A suggestion would be to read through your replies at least once, to see the full context of the reply, if you don't already. Who knows, you might notice a word or two that could be replaced with something better and more defining on how you want to express yourself.

Mr Insanity likes this.
  6. KimberVaile

Right well I'll just end with this train of thought, this is getting way off topic. 95% of the time, I've used the right word in the right context. There may be an outlier here or there, but generally I don't agree. The worst I've done is used a word in the context of it's third generally used definition. The vocabulary can be excessive, granted but I think that's the worst I've done.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:13 AM
    Mr Insanity likes this.
  7. Yakamaru

Yeah. Everyone's different, and so is their level and ability to communicate, understand and interpret what is being said/written.

Even if you use the right words in the right context, someone else may misinterpret and/or misunderstand it. And this is where I'd say a decent amount of misunderstanding and/or misinterpretation happens. If and when this happens, it's important to ask and/or notify the other party of a misunderstanding and/or misinterpretation, so it can be cleared up.

And thus it's important to be concise, and properly define what you intend to express. We only have words and language to go by.

Mr Insanity likes this.
  8. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I don't mind if people host these sort of things, but they need to keep in mind that the fandom wasn't really founded to parade specific groups of people, but rather be a collective of people who happen to like the same thing. People's will and opportunity to join a fandom and come together is the best part, as it represents everyone.

9. KimberVaile

This really isn't a fair position to argue about my personal character traits, I'm looking like a dickhead for replying to a thread about diversity and equality trying to defend my position, hence I'd prefer to have this done over somewhere that isn't this thread.

With that said. It's on the reader if they don't understand my vocabulary. My vocabulary can be excessive, but it's also more expressive.

Mr Insanity and Yakamaru like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox This is what the fandom did to me!

There is already difursity and equality in the furry fandom, what some people need to do is drop that sense of entitlement they have so it can flourish.

11. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

I'm gone for like 4 hours.

That last part. You have no idea how much that made me reflect and realize how right you are.

Some would call that scraping the bottom of the barrel. If that's all they got then you are doing a good job.

12. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

No.

There's enough of this nonsense already going around on all the college campuses.

Mr Insanity likes this.
  13. Jarren

Jarren What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.

Meh, I don't think it's really needed. Kind of an interesting idea, but I think you'll have difficulty really filling out your schedule without having to delve into the realms of absurd specifics. But hey, you wanna do it? Go nuts.

14. Yakamaru

Oh. I am pretty sure you're completely mistaking me, mate. :D

I am not referring to you specifically with what I am saying. It's a generalization based upon observation of humans in general, and thrown in some basic knowledge I've scraped together. This is not an argument against your position, it's in a way, I don't know, trying to explain it? Guess I failed. My apologies.

The two people you mentioned may get the wrong impression of you, which quite frankly, I think might be the reason they called you a pretentious twat in the first place. Could be how you express yourself, and how they perceive you. There is nothing wrong with your vocabulary, nor is there anything wrong with how you express yourself. I quite like it to be honest, as it's expressive, although I do disagree with you on some topics, obviously.

^ leat put it perfectly, mate. If someone's got nothing but be petty as hell as mocking someone's vocabulary, I'd say you're perfectly fine.

My interaction with certain people made me realize this around like August last year, but not really think about it mentioning it until like, a couple weeks ago?

Mr Insanity likes this.
  15. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

I think you need to further consider what you mean to say by this. ShyMatsi's #FurryBlackHistoryMonth is putting a furry slant on the existing Black History Month thing already existing in February. It's not... really saying much about fandom, as such, nor making any implications about the makeup of fandom.

Contrast #FemaleFurryMonth - that's suggesting by its very existence that women are such a minority in fandom that they need a leg up and can't stand on their own. This while several big-name artists in fandom happen to be women. The implication here is that women are a delicate minority that needs special attention. If that's a message you're comfortable with, great, you do you. I'm personally not keen.

If you want to do something like this, consider where fandom is currently at, in terms of diversity and equality, and work from there. What do we need to spread awareness of? What benefits do you ultimately want fandom to see from this? You're unlikely to significantly shift fandom makeup. You may be able, best case, to shift what content is produced and what ideas are exchanged, to some degree.

Maybe you want "Promote an unknown furry artist" month, to help new artists gain some traction and thus increase the variety in the popular artwork. Maybe you want #FurryWritersMonth, possibly in October, when the Nobel Literature Laureate is awarded, to promote diversity in media within fandom. I don't know, since I can't really suss out what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

16. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

You want equity, not full-blown equality and there's really not much you can do.

17. JumboWumbo

JumboWumbo Banned in two states.

I don't see you're trying to accomplish by singling out different races and genders. We just like cartoon animals, man.

18. Jarren

Jarren What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.

Especially considering most fandom members don't really bring their race/gender/religion/heritage into the public eye very often. Seems like it might draw more attention to things which are not or ought not be issues in the fandom.

19. Mr Insanity

Mr Insanity Joe Ronald Martin Nat-Khan English

I appreciate your opinion, and I sort of agree with you. However, I think some of us forgotten we are still humans or/and started to be bit/completely intolerance for example Foxler Nightlife or just he is a asshole: [​IMG] .

(Sorry, for swearing.)

20. Mr Insanity

Mr Insanity Joe Ronald Martin Nat-Khan English

I appreciate your opinion, and I sort of agree with you. Yeah we need to stop trying to politicalising the furry fandom, I mean the Alt-Furries, Antiafurries and other similar people need to shut up. I been honestly, we need to stop being actually sexist, racist, sexualism and just being offensive in the furry fandom, and in fact outside the furry fandom. Anyway, you need to talk to Shy_Matsi: the shyest wolffox (@shy_matsi) | Twitter about The "Furry Black History Month"'s hashtag, he the one who created the hashtag not me. So sorry. Again, anyway, I do agree with trying to promote diversity and equality sort of though gender, race, religion, skin colour, sexuality and other similar things for non-political reasons at all.

Yeah true. We all should be sort of mutual respect and tolerate each other because we are all essential the same, not hating each other and trying to injuring/killing each other for no reason/stupid reason such as again because their gender, race, religion, skin colour, sexuality and other similar things.

Again, true. Which I don't do that. I do judge everyone else though their behaviour. Never, though gender, race, religion, skin colour, sexuality, politics and other similar things, and I wish they were more people doing that, well in fact everyone should be doing that.

Yakamaru likes this.