Do you believe in God, or some similar thing?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Simo, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Simo

Simo Skunk

Myself, no, but I am tempted.

"Where has God gone?" he cried. "I shall tell you. We have killed him - you and I. We are his murderers. But how have we done this? How were we able to drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What did we do when we unchained the earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving now? Away from all suns? Are we not perpetually falling? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there any up or down left? Are we not straying as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is it not more and more night coming on all the time? Must not lanterns be lit in the morning? Do we not hear anything yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we not smell anything yet of God's decomposition? Gods too decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become gods simply to be worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whosoever shall be born after us - for the sake of this deed he shall be part of a higher history than all history hitherto."

~Nietzsche

And, this:

[

Zipline and Slade Foxii like this.
  2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru This is not a rabbit Avatar

I am an Atheist and have been one for the past 15 years, since I was 12.

I do not believe in any deities, demi-gods or gods.

However, I do not deny the actual possibility of there existing something out there similar to that of a god or deity, although that possibility so far at least, is immensely low.

3. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I used to be a Christian until about 4 years ago.

Right now I don't exactly know what I fall under? Perhaps some form of agnosticism, but I do believe in supernatural, things beyond our plane of existence, in a more general way, for I can't tell what they or it manifests as.

xaliceonfire likes this.
  4. MEDS

MEDS Non-medicinal Foxicorn

Fun quote. This is a similar one that I relish.

Nosta and DravenDonovan like this.
  5. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

Nopes. Atheist. I was a little dicey on that for a long while, but around 2006-2007 I just dropped the idea.

Reason?

Just seeing more and more theistic claims get shot to pieces online. And after looking into things more and more I just let it go.

Reyna Malone likes this.
  6. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I know there's a whole reputation with online Atheists as some sort of militant belief hunters. I hate to say it but there are just some things that people say for their religion that are just not salvageable under any circumstance, and probably shouldn't be repeated.

7. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

Two of the bigger pushes for me:

and

I think they actually were linked to me here on FAF, ironically.

8. Yakamaru

Yakamaru This is not a rabbit Avatar

Ah yes, Thunderf00t. Lots of awesome videos on his channel, especially when it comes to science, physics, etc. Though I do disagree with him on Brexit in the UK.

9. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Agnostic apatheist, though I'd be remiss without acknowledging that my moral principles are Roman Catholic in origin.

As far as I'm concerned, if there is a deity, it is a blind and tinkering watchmaker who holds no special interest in this micropixel of a rock we call Earth and likely won't care about us amoebas.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  10. Queh360

Queh360 Guest

Perhaps and only perhaps...
    [​IMG]
    But generally may it be I think on this:
    Did God create men or did men create God?

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  11. DravenDonovan

DravenDonovan You can call me Oni~

It must be blissful to truly have faith in something like a god (or goddess, or detity of any sort)

This day and age, with how scientists are doing everything they can to figure out how every little thing works, it's hard to have blind faith in something.

I never liked Christianity, anyways, or anything like it. A lot of it just makes no sense and everyone knows man wrote the bible (which literally just means the book).

I won't completely rule out the possibility that there could be some kind of higher order when considering spiritual things. I don't, however, believe in the kind of god(s) that try and make it sound like we're not really supposed to be here, and that 'living in this vessel' is just a test. I don't believe in sin or that there is any true 'evil' or 'good'.
    I don't believe in hell. Or really in heaven. I'd like to believe that if we do have spirits, they get recycled. I'd be curious to find out if there really is other realms, but I'm not going to rush to my death to find out xD

Cloudyhue likes this.
  12. Queh360

Queh360 Guest

Fate
    and/or
    The Time

Perhaps...

May it be...

I don't know;
    I don't doubt,
    I don't ensure...

13. thietkenhaxinh

thietkenhaxinh New Member

I used to be a Christian until about 5 years ago.

14. TidesofFate

TidesofFate Your friendly neighborhood Executioner

The Force. :p

In all seriousness, I'm Atheist.

DravenDonovan likes this.
  15. _Hushy

_Hushy Socially uncomfortable, verbally clumsy~

I don't know anymore..

16. Somnium

Somnium The Sparklewolf

I don't, though I wish I did.

Raddy Fox and DravenDonovan like this.
  17. FoxInTheCloset

FoxInTheCloset The Over Caffeinated Vulpine

I'm agnostic. I literally just don't care.

18. KittenAdmin

KittenAdmin Sup nerds

19. Final-Tensai

Final-Tensai Member

Yes i still believe in god because I grew up with the bible for most of my life.

Zaddict16 likes this.
  20. Zeitzbach

Zeitzbach Taste purple

I remember reading about some Yaoi gaylove god or something so I guess there's that one if I want my shipping to not sink.