Do you believe in God, or some similar thing?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Simo, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

Well I try not to tell people what to think or do. You're being pretty rude right now while at the same time missing my point completely. I wasn't conpletely familiar with the theory and I wasn't even invested in the post enough to look up what the theory was called. I just wanted to mention the concept to Saiko since he seems interested in that sort of thing. I don't think it was really necessary for you to try and invalidate a comment when it wasn't presented as fact or even an opinion for that matter.

You could argue the former doesn't exist due to the latter if you really want to get into it; which I really don't for lack of enthusiasm for the topic. (probability being the former and determinism being the latter.)

I'll quote the most important part you felt the need to leave out...

2. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

The way I've seen Christians tell about the concept of children dying before they can commit their souls to Christ, is that God in his mercy gives children who were conceived and died without the significant chance to make the decision are granted grace and those children who passed before their time have gone to heaven. Seen them do a sermon on it so that's their reasoning, I think that's for the people worried about where their children will be going. Funny thing is they dont even acknowledge or grant this kind of acceptance to animals, many of which have lived their lives doing no wrong, have been the greatest companion to humanity, and have even been tortured in life, and yet they are called 'soulless' creatures.

I often wonder if this is true that abortionists are actually antiheroes after all, destroying unborn lives before they have the chance to commit sin and not repent and become followers? Perhaps abortionists sacrifice their own good in life to save those lives? Huh.

Anyways, I feel bad for saying weird stuff like that. But as a Christian who has steered away of denominational Christian faith, there's a lot that seems very, very off about the beliefs that are held.

3. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

I always regret sticking my nose into stuff like this since I'm very ignorant of the subject at hand, so that's good to know I can put that zinger to bed and never flaunt it callously again. What about LBGT people?

Edit: I want to make the context clear that I'm not challenging you to make any sort of defense as a result of what I just asked you. I'm more or less pointing out what you have already, which is there's some questionable aspects about the religion that as a modern tolerant person, it might not make a suitable choice as a way to live your life. Or it might... who's to say?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. Junkerfox

Junkerfox SCRAM!

Yes. Im a Christian so...God.

Akartoshi likes this.
  5. jtrekkie

jtrekkie Feathered

I'm on of the Christians here, so yes. There are a few more online than I thought there were, but still not many.

About the hell thing up there, the popular conception of it isn't quite right. That's partially the fault of Christians for not tackling it, and partially because it lines up with the human idea of justice. Without going into it too far, we put murderers tax cheats in the same place and never think twice. God isn't like that, the nature of your vices isn't the concern and he's not going for some kind of retribution. And unlike us, he forgives freely. About Nihilism, it can be empowering, but it has no innate meaning because it also removes all of the constraints. Meaning you can put in or take out anything you want. No one would you that kind of thinking for anything but philosophy.

Junkerfox, Dongding and Akartoshi like this.
  6. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Yeah, that one varies by denomination. As far as most bible believing Christians are concerned (as in, taking everything from it somehow but leaving some things out?) It's in clear wording that "homosexuality is an abomination" ergo, a sin. That already says enough to most people, even though they miss the parts that say women must wear headdresses? (I've been in a bible study where the girls just conveniently skipped over that and said "well, that doesnt apply to us", ??) I mean, seems people have difficulty discerning context of the writing from the actual writing.

I honestly think that many parts of it were written in the context of people in that culture. I think a lot of Christians do acknowledge that aspect and use the bible in ways that reflect their understanding of what we know in the world, and what parts of scripture are called by God in how we act and serve in day to day life.

Seems like this is a vast majority though, so it's hard to discern who interprets it how, you just have to take it on a case by case and judge the individual believer

7. Akartoshi

Akartoshi you have been booped by the web potater foxxo

My parents had two different religions: Buddhism and Christianity.
    I grew up with Sharia law.
    Schools forced me to learn about islam, and parents made me spend 30 minutes studying religion.
    IE, had a LOT of reading to do XD

Here's my assumption:
    Some form of god probably exists. However, all these religions have tried to reach him in their own ways. If you think about it, man has written the holy books. Mankind isn't perfect, though.

I assume that mankind has tried to make their ideal pure god. But at the end of the day, as man has written all these holy books, "god" is just the ideal pureness for a group of people.

But I assume god is much different, nothing that can be weighed and written down to follow in prevention of eternal evil ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, not too sure about evolution, though I really didn't learn much about it.
    dun hate me plox

8. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Just a nitpick on terminology. Predestination encompasses the theological understanding of determinism.
    Which misses my point in turn. There is, empirically, nothing deterministic nor random about our universe.

Dongding and Akartoshi like this.
  9. jtrekkie

jtrekkie Feathered

I don't mean to keep poking, but its one of the few things I'm read on. So I will dissolve back into the background after this.

About the headresses, there was a Greek custom at the time that women were supposed to follow. It's still around elsewhere and going without them would be scandellous. Paul's point was that Christians aren't supposed to suddenly start overturning society. He uses the same reasoning elsewhere.

For the other, we have it from Philo of Alexandria that the OT reference was pointed to a kind of temple prostitution. He makes a better case than I can, and it makes more sense for the one reference there is in the NT. Wycliffe had no idea how to translate a rare word like that (It's a compound that means literally man-bed) so the King James translation ended up with a reasonable guess.

There's no list of laws anymore, which is good because English is a terrible language to write laws in. And since I've taken this off topic, I go.

Dongding and WolfNightV4X1 like this.
  10. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

@ChapterAquila92 Fair nuff' lol

I just didn't want to be shot down before I even decided to try to become a pilot.

11. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

Yeah, I was quite interested in that idea until I learned how quantum mechanics works. "Unfortunately" that pretty thoroughly nuked determinism as a fundamental principle. That being said, randomness does not imply free will. It just gives the discussion some more wiggle room, and you could still just as reasonably reduce free will to an illusion. The main difference would be that your decisions now occur randomly rather than deterministically. Instead of gaining agency, you lose a minuscule amount of predictability.

12. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

I like stuff like that though. I don't put much stock into it since the tangible is immeasurably more relevant to a person's success in life than what is or isn't provably existential. It's fun to think about though.

Reminds me of the first time I watched the Matrix.

13. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

You're right. It certainly doesn't have much utility in most practical contexts because in isolation it undermines morality and renders all decisions meaningless. You could probably argue very effectively that it has no practical utility by itself at all just like you would solipsism. However, it certainly arises naturally from atheism. And just like a theist might worry about their salvation or the equivalent, an atheist my worry about their value as an individual. (And each of these concerns also might prevent them from honestly considering the other worldview.)

What I've presented is my personal solution to that problem - an intuitive way that I can take nihilistic concerns and incorporate them into a healthy and reasonably consistent paradigm. It thus becomes useful to the individual for maintaining mental health and, as I think I'm doing now, for constructing a respectable presentation of aspects of atheism that might bother a theist.

14. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

But do we need God when we have guy with power of one?

15. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

If we don't, I'm not going to be the one to tell that guy...

16. Frank Patel

Frank Patel New Member

Lol. I personally believe that there's God somewhere, still alive and watching. Religion is just human's creation. Their own imagination/description about God and His rules.

17. Sarachaga

Sarachaga Fromage!

I don't believe in God. I find the idea of a god quite entertaining but I don't see why he/she/it would need humans to worship him.

ChapterAquila92 and lyar like this.
  18. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Pending Deletion

Hello i'm a christian as well

I see poeple are talking about sin and maybe I can help on this subject
    the thefreedictionary says it pretty well
    definition of sin is "Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God."

I were God I would smite those who broke my rules why would I allow a tiny creature corrupt my whole universe and step on my rules
    and allow them to insult my name!? because they don't like how I run things!? Im God I own everything you listen to me, why should I bring you into heaven and be in my presence
    after you broke my rules your heart is blackened by sin you have done wrong against me and to others me and you have taken my enemy's offers why should I allow you to sit and laugh
    with me and my holy poeple when you are not holy.
    you traitor be gone!

but our GOD is my view God of justice and love and creator of all things
    so if you put love and in front of justice you have mercy this is why God sent down his only son Jesus to save us from our sins for
    his love for us is so great he wants you to be holy and be home with him one day.

sin is breaking God's rules therefore you are marked as a traitor and a rebel against God
    you would rather enjoy the enemy's delights than to be with a being who created the universe and all his wonders.

if you say, should a man be punished and sent to hell because he stole a piece of bread.
    if says in the bible thou shalt not steal in the ten commandments so you rather steal bread and break God's rules
    then to pray and ask for his help
    do you have no faith! does it not say in the bible you are more important than the birds!?
    you would rather choose to bread over God!

Matthew 6:25-26 NIV
    25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
    26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Then you ask how does a man get into heaven after he has sinned and done have such a terrible thing against God

Romans 10:13 NIV says
    for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
    Jesus already paid the price for your all sins with his blood you just need to accept him it's a free invitation to heaven just take it, it's yours!
    because you are so loved.

I hope this helps have a wonderful day everyone.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  19. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

I have now passed that clip on to many others, just to see their reactions.

20. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Oh boy, there's far more gold than that in them thar hills. Hell if i can remember the channel but that old man has hours of WTF material.

21. sbm1990

sbm1990 Folf Guitarist

I believe in a personal heaven being run by a higher power that I would call God. Take that however you wish.

Akartoshi likes this.
  22. GarthTheWereWolf

GarthTheWereWolf Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend

Like Balaam's ass, I do.

23. Simo

Simo Skunk

I'm starting a church where we worship Randy Newman. I'm the leader, and worshipers are to listen to his 'serious' albums, and also, buy me a Steinway full concert grand piano, so I can play his stuff on it, and be the next incarnation.

"Cain slew Abel, Seth knew not why
    For if the children of Israel were to multiply
    Why must any of the children die?
    So he asked the Lord
    And the Lord said:

Man means nothing, he means less to me
    Than the lowliest cactus flower
    Or the humblest Yucca tree
    He chases round this desert
    'Cause he thinks that's where I'll be
    That's why I love mankind

I recoil in horror from the foulness of thee
    From the squalor and the filth and the misery
    How we laugh up here in heaven at the prayers you offer me

The Christians and the Jews were having a jamboree
    The Buddhists and the Hindus joined on satellite TV
    They picked their four greatest priests
    And they began to speak
    They said, "Lord, a plague is on the world
    Lord, no man is free
    The temples that we built to you
    Have tumbled into the sea
    Lord, if you won't take care of us
    Won't you please, please let us be?"
    And the Lord said
    And the Lord said

I burn down your cities-how blind you must be
    I take from you your children and you say how blessed are we
    You all must be crazy to put your faith in me
    You really need me
    That's why I love mankind..."

Haru Totetsu likes this.
  24. RivendellWolf

RivendellWolf Ryvahn

I've studied many of the major religions and have personally concluded that none of them offer a viable explanation of the origins of man and the universe. I won't go as far as to call myself an atheist, though. Areligious would be more accurate. I can see the possibility of an organizing force in the universe that we don't understand yet, but then once we understood the science behind that, it wouldn't really be a supreme being anymore. I don't buy the idea of a supreme being that watches and judges us. I have lots of respect for those who believe, as long as their beliefs don't harm others.

AustinB, Saga, sbm1990 and 2 others like this.
  25. StolenMadWolf

StolenMadWolf resident Lab Wolf

I'm an athiest. I don't believe in some higher being or anything like that. We make ourselves what we are I guess.

I'm perfectly fine with people who are religious as long as they are not harming others because of their beliefs.