Do you fast?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amiir, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM.

?

1. I fasted only for one full day

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. I fasted for multiple days on a row

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. I only skip/skipped meals

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Fasting? Fuck that shit

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. GOTTA GO FAST

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

Maybe acids triggering ulcers?

2. Ayespacecake

Ayespacecake Member

I tend to skip meals or sometimes just not have the desire or motivation to eat from stress or anxiety.
    Otherwise I just forget to eat because I'm lazy as shit.

Shit though....I really hope they figure out what's going on.

P_Dragon, Amiir, Simo and 2 others like this.
  3. Crimcyan

Crimcyan Im fox now, BAMBOOZLED

Don't know all I know is that I cant have alcohol, caffine, carbs, soy, gluten, sugar, any type of dairy, shellfish, nuts, and alot more that I forget

4. Rimna

Rimna Far from the madding crowd

No, but I fat.

yeah I need to start eating less and working out more <_<

5. Simo

Simo Skunk

Wow, what does this leave? Maybe eggs?

6. Crimcyan

Crimcyan Im fox now, BAMBOOZLED

I got told I can eat egg whites, but last time I tried to eat a egg I threw up lmao, I can't handle the taste or texture of them XD

7. Telnac

Telnac Fundamentalist Heretic

I recently read an article tauting the long term benefits of periodic fasting. I’m giving it a try by only drinking non-caloric drinks on Tuesdays and eating nothing other than vitamin supplements. So far it’s working pretty well. I’ve lost 5 pounds, but I’ve only done this a few weeks. Time will tell if this sustainable over the long haul.

8. P_Dragon

P_Dragon Active Member

Sheeeeit, that's awful. Hopefully you get it figured out soon.

For me, no. Not at all. I've got the beetus (sort of), so skipping meals would wreck my life.

Crimcyan likes this.
  9. aloveablebunny

aloveablebunny don't pull my ears!

Due to the fact that my blood sugar will crash and I might pass out if I fast, the answer is no.

However, sometimes I get so busy that I don't have time to eat lunch, and unintentionally end up fasting.

Otherwise... I love food too much!

10. Akartoshi

Akartoshi you have been booped by the web potater foxxo

Huh. I'm the only one that fasts XD

Normally, I do it around summer, during the Islamic fasting called "Sawm." It takes place during islam and is one of the five pillars of islam. Don't get me wrong, I'll be honest and say I don't really give a fuck - I'm an atheist, but Sharia Law sure does force me to give a fuck, and I'd rather fast than go to jail lol.

It's not as strict here as other nations but it's very widely expected and frowned upon if you eat. Sometimes, I just take food home, but all stores close, which means I'd have to cook, and I'm lazy - so I just skip eating sometimes.

11. Telnac

I think you missed my post. I fast too, but it’s a relatively new thing for me & I don’t do it for religious/cultural/lagal reasons. Just trying to lose weight & improve me health.

Oy, you seriously go to jail of you don't fast?! Yikes.

12. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

Sounds shitty man. Where do you live?

13. Okamio

Okamio I'm a gentle beast. Do not fear.

Yep.
    Trying to lose weight... sometimes I'll just drink water or other liquids instead of eating.
    But then when I do eat... @-@

Telnac likes this.
  14. Astusthefox

Astusthefox The King of Games

I've gone a few days without eating before, mainly either because I was sick or I just couldn't bring myself to eat

Apparently there is evidence that fasting could help cure type II diabetes because you're upgrading insulin receptors in your cells that become downgraded in the constant contact with insulin when you eat a lot of sugars

15. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

No, I slow.
    I only fast when there is no good food, and I'm usually surrounded by good food

Dongding and Akartoshi like this.
  16. If you're going to fast, be careful about it. I've only heard about one successful ketogenic fast from a professor, which was conducted within a hospital for obvious safety reasons, and those can take months to complete. I'd only advise fasting under medical supervision because you've got to make sure ketogenesis is properly maintained; It's entirely regulatory. Some patients find the hunger pain to be too uncomfortable for long periods.

I'd love to explain it further if anyone asks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM
  17. ChromaticRabbit

ChromaticRabbit lagomorphic

Everything I've read suggests it can be beneficial to otherwise-healthy adults, though always consult with a medical professional if you are unsure or suffer a medical condition. There are apparently benefits to fasting as few as fourteen to eighteen hours, so just skipping breakfast and lunch once in a while appears to be beneficial. I'd like to do it more regularly, myself, a friend of mine does, for the medical benefits.

18. Sarcastic Coffeecup

Sarcastic Coffeecup Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Only out of laziness do I fast.

19. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

I have to fast for a day for an annual medical procedure, but other than that I at most forget to eat a meal or just don’t feel like cooking/shopping.

20. Telnac

Yeah that’s why I don’t fast more than just one day a week. A normal healthy adult can handle that. Prolonged fasting does nasty things to your liver, kidneys and other organs because byproducts of the fat burning process build up faster than the body can expel them.

21. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Prolonged, balanced diet always beats fasting, mostly due to the plateau effect (i.e. if you try to lose some weight by actively starving yourself, your body will eventually become so accustomed to it that it'll stop losing weight) and being a temporary measure rather than solution. Counting calories is long (like, several months long) and kinda boring, but it actually changes the long-term lifestyle enough that you won't need to fast ever again when you eventually get your crap together.

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  22. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

Best eating pattern for losing weight:

Eat 5-7 very small meals throughout the day, instead of 3 traditional meals. Avoid high fructose corn syrup, and other sugars like the plague.

Your body sees this as constant intake, and stops storing fat. Likewise, if you only eat once a day, it tends to store more energy (fat cells).

Also, don't eat 3-4 hours before bed. It won't even start metabolizing until you are flooring your anabolic rate with rest. It will store everything during this time.

Telnac and JustSomeDude84 like this.
  23. I've never actually looked into short-term fasting, so I'm not sure what that's like. You're definitely right though, too much ketogenesis leads to a huge drop in blood pH, which can do some serious damage.

I just found the example I was referring to in the previous post, which turned out to be a more specific example than I originally thought: pmj.bmj.com: Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 8:58 PM
  24. That's the best normal diet you can get, honestly. Medically supervised fasting is not a substitution for proper dieting.

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  25. Telnac

True but this pattern is impossible to maintain for most busy professionals. We can’t quit our job to diet correctly.

-..Legacy..- likes this.