Do You Produce Music with a Tracker?

Discussion in 'Music & Audio' started by Generic Fox, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Generic Fox

Generic Fox King of Autotune

Personally, I use Schism Tracker because I'd rather not use a mouse. For larger projects however, I'll use MilkyTracker due to its cleaner interface. Who else uses trackers? Does anyone blend trackers and daws?

2. Nosta

Nosta Member

I've never heard of this before so I checked it out. Pretty cool stuff, definitely going to try this new you out.

Generic Fox likes this.
  3. Generic Fox

Generic Fox King of Autotune

If you want, I can send you the .xm or .mod files for some of my stuff and you can remix them and stuff.

Nosta likes this.
  4. Nosta

Nosta Member

That would be awesome!!

Generic Fox likes this.
  5. Jeniver

Jeniver New Member

I use OpenMPT and Famitracker, but I'm trying to learn Renoise because OpenMPT gets tiring on my brain.
    MilkyTracker and Deflemask I have downloaded, but I don't fuck with them because I don't understand FM synthesis, and I prefer using the mouse now that I have 1080p monitors and such.

Ironically, what got me into tracking wasn't the demoscene community or anything, it was being into Jazz Jackrabbit 2, and by extension, Alexander Brandon.
    I hadn't figured it out at the time, but Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament's "UMX" music files are actually Impulse Tracker files in disguise.
    So, I saw the music files in JJ2 and I went on a forum asking something like "what the hell is an .S3M?"
    I could play them in Winamp, but Cool Edit Pro wouldn't touch them, which made me think they were MIDI, but no General MIDI pattern soundfonts were that customizable and they all sounded like shit.
    (My main music program was Cakewalk. That should be a bad sign enough, I was making MIDI.)
    They said it was for ScreamTracker 3 and from there, the magic of the search engine shined through.
    So from there, I realized this was infinitely better. Custom instruments.

6. Jeniver

Jeniver New Member

Also,

I found myself in a similar situation to Renard because I had the same two tools:
    Modplug and a Microkorg synthesizer to record off of. Renard often used the Microkorg for more complex sounds, and I swear I remember it being this way.
    But Renard had a lot of other stuff, and I was kind of a chump who didn't know what they were doing. I also didn't release any of my music.
    Sometimes, I wonder whether I even like Renard's music, I mean, after a while his composition thought patterns start to get repetitive.

My microkorg gathers a lot of dust, but after I learn Renoise, I'm going to use it extensively. You mentioned "combining DAWs and trackers",
    well Renoise kind of cuts out the transfer period between them, and treats your channels as though it were a DAW, even though you compose in tracker format.

Generic Fox likes this.
  7. Baka94

Baka94 New Member

I sometimes use FamiTracker to make music. Mostly just remixes and some originals too, which I have posted on FamiTracker's forums. I have lately improved one of my original tracks, by increasing channel volumes to get the amplitude closer to the DPCM sample volumes and added some ducking to give the samples some space. In that same track I also used a multiband compressor (Maximus) in FL to compress it a bit and widen the stereo image. The updated version is not out yet though...

8. GigaBit

GigaBit A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.

I've been using Famitracker and Deflemask since 2014. I mostly make covers with them.
    Some of my covers are here. Not much, but some.

I've tried using OpenMPT, but it's pretty confusing for me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  9. GigaBit

GigaBit A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.

Hey! I've seen you on the Famitracker forums before! You just posted about a Touhou 6 OST cover recently.

10. mapache

mapache ¡qué lindo!

I started out in OpenMPT and worked with FamiTracker for a little while as well, but nowadays I use Renoise - it's meant to be a modern DAW, except in tracker form. Really nice piece of software tbh.