Does FA or FAF retain IP addresses?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by -AlphaLupi, Jan 31, 2017.

1. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Original Cybernetic Fennec

The forums terms say that it uses cookies (no surprise), but I didn't see any mention of recording IP addresses on either the FA or FAF.

The closest thing I seen was on the FA TOS saying that

"In order to investigate claims and comply with local law enforcement, we reserve the right to monitor any communication using Fur Affinity as the medium."

Which isn't really surprising either, and while it doesn't mention anything specifically about recording IP addresses, "complying with law enforcement" could potentially mean handing over user's IP addresses upon request, which would require FA to log user's IPs to begin with.

2. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

Regarding mainsite, I don't think they keep them indefinitely, but they are definitely logged for I think its about at month at least.

General rule of thumb for ANY website is that it would log your IP address. Also yes these forums log IP addresses, but that feature is not visible to normal users, only admins can see that.

-AlphaLupi likes this.
  3. GreenReaper

GreenReaper Rambling Norn

The main site activity log records sessions for six months, so it would be safe to assume that staff have this information for at least that long. Keeping it much longer may not be practical storage-wise.

It is known (due to prior DB leaks) that your original registration email is also kept on record indefinitely. Similarly, at least top-level staff will have access to all notes, tickets, etc.

-AlphaLupi and jayhusky like this.
  4. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Administrator Staff Member

Pretty much every site logs and records IP addresses. On the main site, our logging keeps data for roughly 6 months and after that it's purged.

-AlphaLupi likes this.