Ethy's art corner - Critiques wanted!

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Ethriol, May 12, 2017.

1. Ethriol

Ethriol New Member

Hi all,

I'm a self taught artist (FA) - currently I'm really trying to improve on my colour schemes, composition and background elements (you'll have to bare with me on that last one, I keep putting it off haha)

I'm really looking for critiques to bring my work just a little bit further forward, so anything you notice is useful!

Here are a few recent examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frostbyte The Shark likes this.
  2. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

lol specially dig the witchcat selfie.

3. Ethriol

Ethriol New Member

Haha thanks!

4. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

It has a nice warmth to it that I can't describe because I'm not eloquent at describing art, but what I can say is keep going with what you have and refine it. My area of critique would be to search for more detail. Not too much because that wouldn't fit your art style. For example, finding more unique characteristics of the animal the character is based on and incorporating them into the artwork. I would also suggest somewhat darker shading in areas that need it (like the witch cat, the brim of the hat gives much shelter from the moon's reflected light, so the hair immediately below the hat and bottoms of the ears should be darker).

And finally an incoming opinion that may or may not mean anything to you if you chose...

Add slightly more indications of fur.

Frostbyte The Shark likes this.
  5. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

Ah my god everything looks so sofffttt, everyone has character, REALLY digging the perspective going on with the witch cat.

I think you might wanna experiment with some more dramatic shading tho

6. Ethriol

Ethriol New Member

Thank you so much for the feedback.
    You're right, I didn't really think about the lighting enough on that witch picture, thank you.
    For the fur, while I get where you're coming from, that's more of a conscious choice - I know that for some the indication of fur is really important. However personally I'm a fan of the minimal fur style.
    Edit: Also I completely agree with you on the detail - for some reason this has vexed me my entire life - I'm just not a detail oriented brain. Still haven't figured out how to compensate for that yet...

Both of you mentioned shading - I'll have to experiment with that!

7. Ethriol

Ethriol New Member

Hi all! So I decided to try giving the witch-selfie picture an over/underpaint to boost the textures and depth of a few aspects. Do you think this is more the direction to go? I definitely think the image as a whole has a bit more depth than the first version.
    [​IMG]

I still feel like its missing something in the shading dep. I know the ears are still very light but for the life of me I can't figure out how this lighting should strike them (with the slight orange light from below ad the direct light from behind, taking the hat into account.)

8. Tenseki

Tenseki mostly anime artist

you're definitely going in the right direction with the bg but i think the red of the sky kinda mutes out the orange of the character's outfit and maybe the character's left shoulder should be a bit closer to the viewer or camera to improve the perspective

(i'm not very good at explaining things but i hope that this can help http://imgur.com/4C75PRM)

9. Fallowfox

Fallowfox T-Tauri

10. Emerald_raven

Emerald_raven Member

233.jpg
    Wow you are soo good at drawing . myself is kinda horrible at it , and only 3d and postprocess saves me a bit ^__^
    Sorry but i cant stop myself ^___^ i am no pro in any way at drawing ... just i think your kitten witch is too cute ^___^
    Hope you will be not angry at me ^_^
    This is how i see it will be interesting in my vision :)

11. KiokuChan

KiokuChan Active Member

I think that looks fantastic, and love the second pass on the cat. I know that's not helpful though as you wanted advice on improving.. hn. I guess on the red panda I can't tell if he's leaning on his tail or on a big stripped pillow. If it's his tail it looks blocky on top and if it's a pillow it looks very rounded on the bottom. If it's both than they really blend together.
    That still is a very cute picture thought.

12. elvenboyslut

elvenboyslut Cartoonist

Paying attention to your values will help. Be sure to check your image in greyscale to see your values. Your originals are on the left. I played with the contrast, just as an example. You can see how much different clear value differences make.

Use black and white. Skipping those makes your image all in grey tone and it really dulls the image.

[​IMG]

My notes on Value & Contrast in Composition

13. Tigers-on-Unicycles

Tigers-on-Unicycles National Treasure

^ I agree with the above poster, but I don't think using pure black or white is best -rather, super dark or super light shades of colors like blue, purple, and green up the contrast and add depth and vibrancy to artwork. There is no true black in nature simple because of the way light and shadow behave and are registered by our vision -unless you want to include vantablack, which is not really applicable to most situations you will be drawing XD

14. annethecatdetective

annethecatdetective Detecting cats...

You're definitely moving in the right direction adding more depth to your shadows! It looks really great. You have a great touch with lighting, so boosting the shadows does a lot. And you have a good eye for building a color palette, your work is all really pleasing to look at.

(background elements is my biggest struggle as well... I laze out on backgrounds whenever I draw for my own pleasure. The best way to learn and improve on backgrounds that I've found was just doing still life studies-- starting with one single element, and then moving up to setting up a scene out of a group of objects and getting a sense of interaction and getting the same light on each individual element. But... it's never as much fun as doing characters)