Ever Dealt With Toxic Artists/Commisioners?

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by Catolo, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Catolo

Catolo The local coffee addict

This question always goes through my head at some point when seeing drawings. Have any of you artist or buyers dealt with this?

2. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

Nope, not here. It's always been a super-friendly interaction.

3. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

Personally I've not dealt with it. Every artist I've ever talked with and commissioned(and received request art from) have always been fun to talk with not to mention friendly.

4. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Ive talked to furry artists who have gone to the point of restraining orders from commissions gone bad, but ive only heard of it getting that bad once. I'm sure it happens a lot though with lack of patience

5. SveltColt

SveltColt Well-Known Member

Nope, not yet.

6. TigerBren

TigerBren Member

Earlier this year I had one client come up with excuse after excuse as to why he couldn't pay me for the commission to the point of absurdity. He even said he was ready and able to pay me on, if I recall correctly, 3 different occasions followed by weeklong periods of silence, broken by me checking up on him...but that just led to more excuses. He claimed his bank account was hacked, he lost my paypal address 3 times, even though it was right there in the note history, new commissions were showing up in his favorites that were clearly done for him and lastly, he claimed that he couldn't pay because of "the hurricane" without specifying which one...and it was about 2 days after Irma touched ground in Florida, which was long after Harvey did his damage in Texas...so, it sounded like pure horse hockey to me. Needless to say he didn't ever actually pay.

And last but not least; Once upon a long time ago, I dealt with a slightly less (albeit still) annoying client was years and years ago when I opened up commissions for music for the first time. Unfortunately, I didn't set up guidelines to protect myself from toxicity back then because naive me didn't think of it. I had someone ask me to do an instrumental cover of a theme song, and I told him I should be able to have it done within a week. Well after a week passed, he started bombarding me with messages demanding why I haven't finished it by the deadline...of course this was just his interpretation of what I said, but I definitely did not mention anything about a deadline or give a guarantee it would be done by then...I simply suggested it might be, but I guess some people take that super literally... -rolls eyes-

ANYWAY...I'm glad to say that every other client I've had has been fantastic...even though it's been very slow these past few months. I at least have a couple of regulars who have big projects for me to collaborate with them on.

Yakamaru and Catolo like this.
  7. Reserved_Krolik

Reserved_Krolik Active Member

I've had issues with commissioners before, but not on this site, thankfully. I still look for work on DeviantArt, but to be honest, their job board is a joke. Luckily, I haven't had non payment issues in a while, mostly it's been commissioners trying to cancel out suddenly, or changing the piece entirely in the inking/coloring stage.

Yakamaru likes this.
  8. narutogod123

narutogod123 Void Mage

The one time I had a problem with a commissioner is that they didn't pay me when I asked, other than that I haven't had any other problems. These days I just want more commissioners.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Yakamaru likes this.
  9. Kebechet

Kebechet Member

I've had one person here fail to pay me after promising they would. It actually led to me leaving the community for a while, because this was someone I knew personally, who I thought was my friend...and he screwed me over hard.

In the past I've had problems with other people from other places, but that was the worst. The others were mostly just flakes from Craigslist.
    The other sorts of issues I've had with furry-related commissioners mainly revolved around people trying to push me to draw things I wasn't comfortable with, and/or they tried to get me to toss in all of these freebies with the commission they paid for... like suddenly wanting a background, and not being willing to pay extra for it, or wanting multiple characters without wanting to pay extra for the extra work.

Outside of the first example, I haven't had anything "toxic" happen... but these days I've changed the way I do work, which keeps me safer.
    For example, I ask for half of the money up front, and half on completion. While I provide previews of the work I'm doing from start to finish, those previews aren't high resolution. It gives plenty of detail so that the client can see how everything looks, but the DPI being low means they aren't suitable for prints. Clients only get the high res files once they've approved the completed artwork, and send the final payment.

It might seem a little convoluted, but I find it makes both the artist and commissioner trust each other more, and keeps both sides happy as a result.

-..Legacy..- and Reserved_Krolik like this.
  10. ChocolateCoins

ChocolateCoins New Member

Ive had 2 people not pay me, and one DM me every hour to see if their commission was done yet when I had just gotten the commission that day. I now heavily watermark sketches and I don't complete commissions unless theyre paid for.

11. KrissySempaiArt

KrissySempaiArt Mama Memester

Ive had a couple people not be “rude” but
    They basically tried to con me into free art
    And when they knew i wasnt gonna fall for it , either act very passive aggressive or tell me
    “ Oh i have a friend who will do this cheaper”
    I mean , go support your friend fam Im all for it , but im not spendin my free time on someone who isnt a friend or just wants free art cuse they got 200 no’s before this . Nobody has been outright rude though , i had someone walk out cuse they wanted to just pay in points but
    Told me they were gonna pay money beforehand
    Got the sketch and they tried to say some sob story about how they only have points because idk reasons ?
    But thankfully again , nobody who was rude . Ive commissioned a few people on my end but never had a rude artist towards me whoch is awesome cuse i have no idea what id do if thatd happen lol

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  12. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

I've certainly heard about people being passive-aggressive about handouts, from multiple sources. It's a shame professional panhandling exists in this place.

KrissySempaiArt likes this.
  13. KrissySempaiArt

KrissySempaiArt Mama Memester

Its quite a pain . I think im fairly genuine and nice towards everyone and try to always assume the best
    But
    Ive worked retail long to smell when someones tryna scam me lol
    I keep all their unfinished commission in a folder so if they ever come back , ill know lol . I do give oit free art to followers and friends occasionally when im feeling jolly or just love someones oc but
    These people didnt even know my ocs or anythimf , just wanted to con me lol

14. Crimcyan

Crimcyan Another fucking wolf

Yes this one person I asked way over a month ago (probably 5 months) and they still havnt done it. And each time i asked them they just offer me free art for taking long time, but they never do that art.

Jk I just wanted to rip on my friend, she's a splatoon artist on amino and she's starting to get very popular with trades and commission so I keep telling her to put down my commissions so she can work on doing trades and such for amino.

KrissySempaiArt likes this.
  15. DoeDog

DoeDog Member

Never had terrible commissioners like that or stalkers, honestly i been very lucky and the community in general treats me well, but who knows maybe If I were more widely known that perspective could change.

16. tiredbirb

tiredbirb New Member

My issues have mostly been elsewhere other than FC - artists who have not looked at refs and then told me I didn't have ref images despite them being available. One artist drawing my character a completely different species (drawing them a plain cat when they were a lion) and getting upset when I asked if they could change it, saying I needed to pay for a change despite it being stated in writing and text and going on a tangent in a discord which was filled with a lot of my friends about how awful I was being when I'd said maybe two sentences since colour and species looked as though they hadn't more than glanced at for a very expensive piece of art...

In the end they didn't fix the problem and started doing some weird vagueposting thing on tumblr instead. This is why I stick to repeat comming a lot of the same artists lol

17. LuxerHusku

LuxerHusku The Unlucky Husky

Oh boy, story time!

FWA 2016. The year when I wanted to purchase a fursuit head but didn't know where to start but at a convention. I thought it would better to get information and understatement from there and BOOM! Entering my very first convention.

Paid no attention to anyone until the day the Artist Den was open. I can across to this one maker who told me about the press of making the suiting and shipping them. We've talked for quite some time and she let me have one of those foam templates. Unfortunately for me, I have no ideas on how to make a head, so I asked another maker for help and commissioned $750 for the head to be made. Gave her my refs and moved on.

This was back during March last year. In April, she contacted me and said she'll get the head done by May. So I wanted around May and had another delay, June and a WIP photo. June cane in and nothong. Then, another email pop up and it was delayed again to Auguest. August came by, another delay, up to December. December hits, another delay.

I got so tired. I had to research the maker I commissioned it turns out, that she was labeled in an Artist Beware post not too long ago. Saying she scams people and switches fursona and business name. And the futsuits themselves are good, but not finished. I was upset and demanded a refund, but she keeps playing the victim and telling every one that I'm harassing her and spreading lies.

We've lived in the same state, I demanded my refund back and if she refused, I can press charges against her and send her to court. So far it's kinda working. I'm getting my refund finally. I hope o get my refund this year. If not....

DoeDog likes this.
  18. WolfeyeOfIowa

WolfeyeOfIowa New Member

I just had a similar experience. I wanted my character, an African Hunting Dog drawn. It's NOT a dog. but that's what I was given for my money. Still seeking an artist who can drawn one.