Ever had an electronic device go up in smoke?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by GigaBit, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Pikuhana

Pikuhana PikaPower

There was a school computer a couple days ago that I was using, and the battery went up in flames.. It was pretty scary.
    There was one time my headphones started to crackle and smoke, but that is because i was being stupid and stuck the male headphone jack over a 9-volt for about 3-5 minutes.

2. Remroto

Remroto Potato Eating Couch Potato

Um yeah we had a microwave and it started producing smoke after we put a bar of soap, a metal sponge a hand full of dead light bulbs and some old batteries we had laying about inside.

Just turned it on for a 15 minute cycle and stood back and watched it go boom!

hehe:D

Telnac, Nimilex and Pinky_the_demon like this.
  3. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Wow, you guys kinda suck at using electronics properly, isn't it?

4. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

I've never fried an electronic device before. :p

5. Magnavox

Magnavox Flying the tiny skys

Thats part of flying electric planes- eventually you will burn up a component.
    Case in point I had to perform rhinoplasty on a brand new F-16 after the speed control (supplies the power to everything) burnt a hole in the plane.
    It was cooking along at low altitude and this stream of gray smoke comes out of the back. Electric models don't do that. I tried to get the model on the ground before I lost power but the thing just lawn darted into the ground.

6. Telnac

Telnac Fundamentalist Heretic

Yeah I didn’t count the sheer number of LEDs I microwaved or put through other forms of digital hell. My electrical engineering lab in college had a bucket of LEDs and no one cared of you grabbed a handful for extra-curricular “experimentation.” :D

7. Pikuhana

Pikuhana PikaPower

LOL

8. Magnavox

Trying to open a portal to another dimension are we?

Telnac likes this.
  9. Nimilex

Nimilex Sir Rapid-Response-Wolfinton

I re coiled a relatively big transformer which put out 2kV and 0.5 amps
    after I recoiled it it had a output of about 200 amps? (couldn't measure the voltage because the transformer smelted after the first test, I should have measured the voltage first. I know I could calculate the voltage but I'm too lazy :p )

10. Magnavox

Your such a German. "I'm bored, guess I'll fix these electrical components for fun"
    What would you recommend for book on an introduction to electrical engineering?

11. Nimilex

Nimilex Sir Rapid-Response-Wolfinton

Oh that is a good question! I've read a book but it's completely written in german and relative old.
    [​IMG]
    It helped me a little to understand how electronics work. Most knowledge I have came from my mother (she soldered circuits at work) and the Internet, Youtube has a lot of channels which can help you gain knowledge.
    I experimented a lot at home, first my dad thaught me how outlet and switches are wired and how they work so I startet to build myself a relatively big wooden housing I added ampermeters, voltmeters and 3 outlets. After this I wanted more I startet learning about microcontrollers and logic bricks like 40xx
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to activate the outlets with my pc and I wanted to controll the voltage so I startet learning about arduino and made my first programms.
    Someday I went to a bar in my town and met a man who I told about my hobby and that I'm very skilled at soldering (I tell you I have it in my blood, I can solder while sleeping!) so he told me that he is a television technician and I can visit him when I need parts/components (because I still don't have everything I need and the waiting for ordered components can kill you) so I decided to visit him about two weeks later. He showed me his self made audio system (2 amplifiers 2 self made speakers and a subwoofer) so I listened to that perfectly clear sound comin from the speakers and was completely blown away by the beauty and details of the audio (I even heard instruments I didn't know that they were used in the songs) so I bombarded him with questions which he all answered. I often visit him and learn new things (my wooden housing with the usb port is still not finished yet). Since I've heard this mindblowing sound I wanted to learn more about semiconductors, transistors, capacitators and amplifiers and I startet experimenting on a breadboard (only 2$ on amazon its worth its money!) I spent nights and killed hundreds of transistors trying to build a working amp. I was so excited about electronics that I applied for an internship at a company which wires switchboard, electric controllboxes and production lines. I had a lot of fun there and then I know that I want to do this for a living until I die! When I got my secondary school certificate I signed myself in at a technical secondary school so I can study electrical engineering at a senior technical college. And now I'm here.

The point is that you gather information, try to understand how things work and don't stop asking if you do not know something!

12. Telnac

Telnac Fundamentalist Heretic

If memory serves me right there’s a direct relation between voltage & amperage when you set up/down voltages like that. So to get a 400 fold increase in amperage you need a 400 fold decrease in voltage. So that’s 5 volts at 200 amps. Since heat lost due to resistance is a function of amperage, it’s no wonder the thing melted!

Nimilex likes this.
  13. Rouge Artist

Rouge Artist I am not the answer

Luckly I haven't had too many electronics go up in blue smoke, but my first and only attempt at replacing a 8 pin DIN plug for a speaker controller (for a altec lancing FX5051 for anyone interested) ended with a burnt out sound card as soon as I plugged the controller in and hit the power button. I didn't figure out what exactly happened but I might have misplaced a couple pins.

But more recently at the last kitchen I worked in they had a meat slicer that was really old, and after the second time it tried to electrocute me, decided to take it apart and see what was up. Both times there was a loud crack and a huge amount of white sparks coming from where the cord came out. Found out that someone had rewired the whole thing using old twist caps that where a little too big, every wire except for the wires coming out of the power cord where all black. One of those wires had somehow been cut clean and was causing the huge sparks to erupt out of it any time it was bumped against the slicer's body.

Oh and there was that one time when I witnessed a small power line transformer burning itself out. Ended up with no power for the whole afternoon, but it was an impressive show of sparks, buzzing, and plenty of blue smoke.

14. Crimcyan

Crimcyan Probably banned....Again

All vapes in the history of vapes, i dont vape but they all smoke

15. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

Ok, I remember one time when I was a little whipper snapper still learning about electronics, I plugged a 7 volt drill into a 240 volt main that blew all the circuity and batteries. I never got a shock from that one but one helluva fright.