Expression Help?

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by ProjectDuska, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ProjectDuska

ProjectDuska New Member

Hi! My name is Duska, and I'm new to this site, so I apologize if I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, for a while now, I've been having trouble drawing expressions on my animal characters. I'm not sure really what I'm doing wrong, but I can't achieve the correct facial expression in any of my drawings (it may have something to do with the eyes, possibly the jaw movements, I have no idea). I've searched the internet far and wide, but have come up with next to nothing, especially anything for my more "realistic" style.
    Any tutorials/tips/refrences/ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated! Thank y'all!

2. W00lies

W00lies Member

Use the animals eyebrows without actually giving them a human eyebrow. A good example of this would be Finding Nemo since that's basically what they did to give the fish expressions. The other obvious things are using the mouth, teeth, ears and eyes.

3. ProjectDuska

ProjectDuska New Member

Thank you so much! I'll make sure to use these references and I'm sure this'll help my art out a lot.

4. Tesso660

Tesso660 squeek squeek

You can also Google "expression sheets" to get some ideas, and if you want to practice it, look up "expression sheet blank" then maybe fill one out and show it to a friend and ask them to guess what each expression is, if they get what you were going for then you know you're well on your way!

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  5. ProjectDuska

ProjectDuska New Member

Thank you very much, friendo! I'll make sure to do this and just experiment around.

6. redfox_81

redfox_81 Member

I find Pinterest useful for getting expression reference: just hop on there and search for “expressions” or “expression sheets” as mentioned above. I’ve found several really good ones that are literally grids of photos of the same person pulling various expressions. Good practice.

It’s worth noting that it might help for you to get more experience with rendering human expressions before moving onto animal ones. You can then reapply what you learn with people onto your animal art, in order to successfully anthropomorphise them. Pay attention to subtle things like narrowing of the eyes, frown lines, how a mouth might turn up at the corner, etc. One good tip is to always take into account how an emotion affects the whole face, not just one part of it.

Finally, a good resource for various animal expressions - and Animation production art - is the Living Lines Library: Living Lines Library: PRODUCTION ART - Concepts, Model Sheets & Others

Good luck!

ProjectDuska and -..Legacy..- like this.
  7. ProjectDuska

ProjectDuska New Member

Thank you, friend! This really helps me a lot and I greatly appreciate you taking time out of your day to help a poor confused girl out :)
    I'll definitely take your advice in learning how human faces work, as this pretty much applies with any stylized animal art.
    Thanks again, friendo!

8. redfox_81

redfox_81 Member

You are very welcome! If you have any more questions, just ask away :)

ProjectDuska likes this.