External DVD/CD Drive

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by DylanM40, Oct 20, 2017.

1. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

I’m looking to get a external DVD/CD drive for my laptop since this laptop of mine doesn’t have a CD drive itself. Was wondering if anyone has purchased one here lately and could possibly give me a recommendation.

2. Redlinelies

Redlinelies iRawr

As long as it reads both - and +R as I believe most do anyway, any external drive should be fine? Whenever we needed one at work we just grabbed one off the shelf available and I don't recall ever having issues reading burned or regular discs no matter which brand we used. We didn't have any weird china brands however so I cannot speak on that part, more so samsung or asus ones. Get one you think looks nice I guess. Maybe others have different experiences however.

3. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

Thanks for the input. What about those Blu-Ray burners?

4. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

Any external of name brand is going to handle business pretty well.

Personally, I always look up electronics on Newegg first. The reviews on there are pretty in depth usually.

Redlinelies likes this.
  5. Redlinelies

Redlinelies iRawr

I've never really used any external blu-ray readers, nor burned any blu-ray discs in my life so I cannot give any input on that. I do have a blu-ray internal in my system since a few years back, but only really burned DVD's at most. I'd assume you'd pop in a blu-ray disc in it and burn it like any other as long as the drive supports it, at most maybe download some third party software.

6. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

Reason I’m asking is I have a camcorder that does 4K files and my understanding is that it can’t be used on the same DVD/CDs. Unless I’m missing something, they have to be on Blu-Ray. I’m not to worried about the files themselves as I can work with those but it’s more about being able to put them on DVD later on if I decide to do so.

7. -..Legacy..-

You could convert down to a usable resolution if it comes to that, but it kind of defeats the purpose of shooting high-res in the first place.

8. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

Yeah that it does. I kinda wish I could find this stuff at like Best Buy but the one in the city I live doesn’t carry any external disc drives which kinda surprised. Especially since it’s a college town.

9. -..Legacy..-

If you're not in a "need it tonight" kind of hurry, shop Newegg.com or TigerDirect.com. The prices are usually equal +/- shipping, and both are fast about getting your stuff out.

10. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

It isn’t. I was hoping for recommendations being the reason for this thread. I’ll probably check out those sites. TigerDirect is a new site to me.