Favourite Books?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Lcs, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Lcs

Lcs Woof

I'm kind of running out of books to read. Previously I've just been reading the classics and whatever 4chan suggested. Perhaps seeing the favourites of others will help me find something else.

My favourites:

• The Alchemist
    • Lolita
    • To Kill A Mockingbird
    • I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Last read books:

• All the Light We Cannot See
    • The Circle
    • A Long Way Down

xaliceonfire likes this.
  2. Sarachaga

Sarachaga Well-Known Member

Since you seem to like classics, I've got a few recommendations. These are some french books so I'll put the original titles:
    • Les Misérables (Victor Hugo) Very long book and in my opinion, very thrilling story. There's a lot of characters , and even though Hugo tends to get off track sometimes, the story is really well written.
    • Le docteur Pascal: (Emile Zola) Quite interesting. Zola explains through it the 'scientific' theory behind the 'Rougon-Macquart' book series. Zola has a weird style sometimes and tends to over exaggerate, but it should make a good read. If you like it , you should then go for L'Assomoir or Germinal , which are among his most famous novels.
    • Les liaisons dangereuses (Choderlos de Laclos): Stop! If you haven't read this book, go read it . It's gorgeous. It's a great story with great characters, and even though Frears' film is good, it doesn't give it fully justice in my opinion.
    Now if you're into more experimental literature, I could recommend Marguerite Duras. Her works are bizarrely fascinating to read!
    If you're into fantasy, I would recommend Jean-Philippe Jaworski, but sadly I don't think his works are translated in english :c

Lcs likes this.
  3. Xaroin

Xaroin the Contradictory

• Catcher in the Rye
    • (doesn't read much) I guess
    • um ...
    • Well I mean I can't really think of anything else

Sarachaga and Lcs like this.
  4. Sarachaga

I've got another recommendation, which is a bit peculiar: read The Lesser Albert. It's a medieval grimoire and frankly, it's hilarious. Specifically the parts about physiology( the author thinks you can deduce a person's inner nature by the length of his hair and the size of his nose xp ).

Lcs likes this.
  5. Lcs

Lcs Woof

Les liaisons dangereuses really interests me. Next time I'm in the bookstore, I'll have a look to see if they have it. If not, I can probably get it off of Audible.

Sarachaga likes this.
  6. Ravofox

Ravofox And a few other fursonas as well

• Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Philip K. Dick)
    • The entire Redwall series, by Brian Jacques (I think it is also popular amoungst the fandom)
    Aaaand, I got a blank... There's probably more though that I can think of right now

Lcs and Sarachaga like this.
  7. Sarachaga

I really enjoyed this book. If you haven't read 'em, I would recommend two other books by K Dick: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and A Scanner Darkly

Lcs and Ravofox like this.
  8. Jarren

Jarren Big, scaly, gun nut. Don't mind me

Slaughterhouse Five -Kurt Vonnegut
    A Prayer For Owen Meany -John Irving
    Frankenstein -Mary Shelly
    Flatland -Edwin Abbot

Hardly a favorite, but if you're feeling up for a lengthy read on conspiracy theories:
    The Creature From Jekyll Island -G. Edward Griffin

Lcs and Sarachaga like this.
  9. Lcs

Lcs Woof

I just did a quick wikipedia search on that. Did you actually read that book? o_O

10. Jarren

Jarren Big, scaly, gun nut. Don't mind me

Yup. It's a massive indictment of the federal reserve and much of the American financial system. That said, throughout it does throw a few crackpot theories/viewpoints at you. Some it debunks, others it just lets sit. It's been a few years since I read it, so I can't readily call any examples to mind.

Lcs likes this.
  11. Lcs

Lcs Woof

Another book on my 'to read list' is The Da Vinci Code. Whenever I spend time at my parent's house and complain about being unable to find books that interest me, my mother always suggests that one. I've avoided it in the past since it's a mystery book, but I'm now tempted to give it a go despite the genre.

Sarachaga likes this.
  12. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

Mein Kampf.

13. Sarachaga

Heh. If you want to read the poorly written ravings of a mad man go for it. I would not recommend it as it is in my opinion a very boring book

14. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

Well, I'm just hoping to figure out why so many people who disagree with me politically end up telling me I'm "Like, literallyyyy Hitler."

15. Sarachaga

I haven't read it but it's one of the he books I'm always tempted to take at the bookstore. Two books that I really long to read are The great god pan and Melmoth reconciled.
    Btw, do you have a specific genra or type of text you would like to have recommendations on?

Mandragoras and Lcs like this.
  16. Vitaly

Vitaly Guest

A Brief History of Time
    Neuromancer
    Ravenor

xaliceonfire, Sarachaga and Lcs like this.
  17. Lcs

Lcs Woof

I'll probably give it a pass since it's not really my thing. That aside, the author's wikipedia page gave me a good laugh. :p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  18. xaliceonfire

xaliceonfire Kiralee

Anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
    Anything by Kerrilyn Sparks.
    Forgotten Fire by Adam Bagdasarian
    Pretty much any WWII history books or articles.
    Pretty much anything on serial killers or crime.
    Pretty much anything on religion or social problems.
    Pretty much anything on psychology.

Lcs likes this.
  19. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Favourite novel is probably Peace by Gene Wolfe, maybe the most obliquely unnerving and poignant ghost story ever written, at least for me; my favourite collection of short stories is probably Songs of a Dead Dreamer by Thomas Ligotti, although I could name plenty of other short story writers whose work I hold in similar regard.

Another Machen fan? Woot! And Honoré de Balzac, too. Very classy.

Sarachaga likes this.
  20. Beatle9

Beatle9 AKA BeatleNumber9. Amateur writer.

Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. I really like the journey of the main character and Richard Parker, the Tiger. The message at the end also resonated very well with me, when I was just starting college and kind of figuring out who I was as a person. Sounds cliche, I know, but it's still my favorite.

Lcs likes this.