Favourite Books?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Lcs, Feb 6, 2017.

1. AlleycatIrony

AlleycatIrony dubstep macarena

oh goodness... my favourite books are ones i used to read over and over when i was little

'a dog's life: an autobiography of a stray' was my top favourite and i used to read it at least once a week (it's... looking a little worse for wear now)
    (it's about a stray dog who's telling her life story from the time she was born in a wheelbarrow in a shed to the end when she's old and gray, it's a v heartbreaking and heartwarming read - i'd highly reccommend if u like animal tales)

'the lost island of tamarind' was another one i rly enjoyed (and still do, i need to read it again tbh)
    (i'm not sure how to describe this one in a short sentence because there's just so much that goes on in it, but there are three children and their parents who live on a boat (bc the parents study marine life) but a storm throws the adults overboard and washes up on the shore of an unknown island, the children then have to navigate their way thru a place full of fantasy creatures, war, child theft and labour to find their parents again and head home... sounds like ur typical young teen fantasy novel but there's more depth than that imo)

and i also loved 'the golden compass'! tho when i was younger i didn't really understand a lot of it that well because it used a lot of words i didn't understand at the time, but i loved the story nonetheless
    (most ppl know that story/movie so idk if i have to describe it... not sure if i could anyway bc it's also quite complex)

Lcs and Karatine like this.
  2. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

I used to read books like a machine. Along with a few hard covers, I also had a paperback collection that exceeded 300 books. That collection is long gone. I live a very minimalist lifestyle these days.

It's hard for me to pick favorites, truly. I read them, live the story and then move on. That said, I have read and enjoyed a number of the classics, though Swiss Family Robinson left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Too much 'manifest destiny' attitude from the author, I suppose.

I've now seen a couple titles and authors mentioned here that I'll take a look at.

Lcs likes this.
  3. Alex K

Alex K Guest

I never quite understood the science behind my favorite book Green ham n eggs. Why would anyone wanna eat that?

Lcs likes this.
  4. Aurorans Solis

Aurorans Solis cum sol surrexit auroratque dies incepit

Favourite books? I've got some. I absolutely love hard sci-fi of almost all shapes and sizes, though a couple have stood out to me.

Dune (and the sequels) by Frank Herbert - The first book (Dune) is my favourite book of all so far. That being said, the sequels (of which there are five) are all extremely well-written, too.

Dan Simmons - writer of the Hyperion Cantos. Holy moley are those books good.

Robert L. Forward - this man wrote the first sci-fi novel I ever read: Dragon's Egg. I've gone on to read a number of other books from him including Starquake and The Flight of the Dragonfly (a modified version of Rocheworld, which I've been meaning to read). I've also got Camelot 30K up on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

And the last ones I can think of...
    The Into the Looking Glass series by John Ringo. This is my favourite series of all time (with Eragon coming in a close second). It's a futuristic military hard sci-fi series with four installments, all taking names from The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. Brilliant read (both the series [of course] and the poem).

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Asimov! You can never go wrong with a little Asimov.

Lcs likes this.
  5. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Still need to get to Dune. I've seen the adaptations and my sources suggest that the original is even more baroque and surreal, which is impressive.

Aurorans Solis and Lcs like this.
  6. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Anything by Douglas Adams and Kurt Vonnegut - lots of ingenious and humorous metafiction, I've never read anything like it before or since. "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" had possibly the strongest and most lasting influence on me of all books I've ever read in my life - maybe it's because I was really in the mood for this book at the time, maybe because it's that good (and it is really, really good), but I can boldly, non-hyperbolically claim it's my most favorite book ever.
    "Ring" by Koji Suzuki. As much as I like the 2002 movie based on it, this adaptation still doesn't give original book proper justice. I can't really talk about this one in details without spoiling too much, all I can say is while it will not scare you directly as movie version did, it will get under your skin in the long run - and even if you don't like horror genre that much, it'll still entertain you with an engaging and upredictable thriller story, so yeah, read this in any case, it's fantastic. Other books in the series aren't as great in general, but are still quite decent and readable, though they step away further from the whole "horror" thing and delve into "sci-fi thriller" territory, with third book being closer to "Matrix" and "Ghost In The Shell" than murderous long-haired girls.
    From series, Dark Tower by Stephen King - althrough later books decline in quality a bit, but "The Drawing of the Three" and "The Waste Lands" are great.
    From nonfiction, "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner, an insightful book on how id Software changed video game industry as we knew it. If you're an aspiring video game developer, this book is a must-read for you, and if not, this may be the book that will turn you into an aspiring video game developer c:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Zenoth, Aurorans Solis and Lcs like this.
  7. fbgemini

fbgemini New Member

My favorite books:
    The Alchemist
    The little prince
    Socrates in Love (A wonderful japanese story about love)
    The Shadow Thief (Marc Levy)

Lcs likes this.
  8. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

The complete works of HP Lovecraft (got a huge book that contains all of it)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (fantastic read I highly recommend it)

Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky (even if the English translations can be kind of crap sometimes)

Grey Seer by C. L. Werner (my first exposure to Skaven)

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Most stuff by Edgar Allan Poe (yes I know shut up)

Also Iv heard The Dresden Files are good, and Iv been meaning to read them since they sound right up my alley.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Pipistrele and Lcs like this.
  9. Julen

Julen I like to start every morning with a fresh Dab

Probs The Longest Day by Ryan. Great historical book, and there's also a movie adaptation of the book, which is pretty nice too.

Lcs likes this.
  10. Fourtificial

Fourtificial A passable, still warm, tater tot.

If you're ok with a more modern novel, the book that captured my attention from start to finish was Scythe by Neal Shusterman. It qualifies as a YA fiction novel, but Neal Shusterman is one of the best YA authors I've ever read and it's really worth a look. It was the first book in years to emotionally invest me in the characters the way it did, but my god it caught me. Another recommendation from Neal Shusterman is the Unwind series of books and I'm currently reading his Everlost series of books, they have my stamps of approval.

Don't let the YA label run you off, they are brilliant and thought provoking and tackle dark subjects. Like Scythe is about humans in a world post mortality, and they still need death, so they have a group of people known as the Scythes that are there to cull the herd and keep humanity from causing overpopulation. Unwind is about America in a post modern civil war over abortion where a cruel agreement had been come to where parents are able to give up their children between the ages 13 to 18 so that their bodies could be undone and used for parts. The reasoning behind it being that the human's body is still very much alive, it's just being undone, and it becomes a tale of what happens to your soul if the pieces of your body are away from you. God I cannot recommend these books more.

Another good recommendation is anything by Ursula K. Le Guin. They're short stories, but they're beautifully done. I particularly recommend The Wife's Story and Vaster than Empires and More Slow. She has also written Tales of the Earthsea, which was unfortunately turned into a movie but came out far worse than the base product. But you can usually pretty reliably find pdfs of her work online for free so if you have the time it is definitely worth the look.

Lcs likes this.
  11. ebbingRose

ebbingRose Guest

I'm not sure if my favorites sufficiently qualify.
    I firstly have enjoyed stories by H. P. Lovecraft; such as the Statement of Randolph Carter, The Picture in the House, and Call of Cthulu. However, I would not qualify them as books due to their brief length; I would qualify them as accumulated collections of short stories. I should note these are horror stories lest someone read them and be disturbed. If you're looking to read them, I believe there is a collection book called "The Complete Works of H. P. Lovecraft".
    I also enjoy nonfiction. National Geographics, engineering textbooks, and books on psychology and of atomic nature (nuclear power, quantum mechanics (to understand the physics of an atom), radioactivity) particularly interest me.

Lcs and Alstren like this.
  12. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

Yup got said book right here or at least some version of it. I know not all of the stories are necessarily written by Lovecraft (like the Hounds Tindalos) but its still a fun collection.

ebbingRose and Lcs like this.
  13. ebbingRose

ebbingRose Guest

Yes! I'm hoping to get the book myself; I've only had the chance to read it at a library.

Lcs and Alstren like this.
  14. Liam The Red

Liam The Red "Dad" Fox

I like a lot of Robert Heinlein's work. ( fairly hard Science Fiction)
    Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonrider" series is good fun. (softer Science Fiction with fantasy elements)
    Ursula K LeGuin does some great stuff. (Fantasy)
    and...yes... the Redwall books.

Lcs, Alstren and Fourtificial like this.
  15. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

Omg I forgot that Redwall started out as a book series. *updates to read list*

Lcs likes this.
  16. Zenoth

Zenoth The average chipfox, doing chipfox stuff.

Fuzzy Dice, and Dante's Equation are both in my top favorite. That and The Never Ending Story, and Generation of Swine : Tails of decadence and decay in the american 1980s ^^

Lcs likes this.
  17. ebbingRose

ebbingRose Guest

Oh! I've read Redwall. Is there really more of those?

Lcs likes this.
  18. Liam The Red

Liam The Red "Dad" Fox

ebbingRose and Lcs like this.
  19. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Fellow Dark Tower fan c:

Also, as a native Russian speaker, I can assure you that Metro translations (at least the ones I've checked) are for the most part pretty damn good. The only thing that's really "lost in translation" is, well, the fact that it's very heavily based on Moscow Metro system, and it's kinda hard to get a full experience without ever being in Moscow Metro - actually visiting the location will explain a lot of things about the setting.

Lcs likes this.
  20. MsRavage

MsRavage Hello!

Pride and Prejudice, peaceful way of the warrior, dog sense, for the love of the dog....i need to read more books :(

Lcs likes this.