Favourite Books?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Lcs, Feb 6, 2017.

1. AlleycatIrony

AlleycatIrony Member

oh goodness... my favourite books are ones i used to read over and over when i was little

'a dog's life: an autobiography of a stray' was my top favourite and i used to read it at least once a week (it's... looking a little worse for wear now)
    (it's about a stray dog who's telling her life story from the time she was born in a wheelbarrow in a shed to the end when she's old and gray, it's a v heartbreaking and heartwarming read - i'd highly reccommend if u like animal tales)

'the lost island of tamarind' was another one i rly enjoyed (and still do, i need to read it again tbh)
    (i'm not sure how to describe this one in a short sentence because there's just so much that goes on in it, but there are three children and their parents who live on a boat (bc the parents study marine life) but a storm throws the adults overboard and washes up on the shore of an unknown island, the children then have to navigate their way thru a place full of fantasy creatures, war, child theft and labour to find their parents again and head home... sounds like ur typical young teen fantasy novel but there's more depth than that imo)

and i also loved 'the golden compass'! tho when i was younger i didn't really understand a lot of it that well because it used a lot of words i didn't understand at the time, but i loved the story nonetheless
    (most ppl know that story/movie so idk if i have to describe it... not sure if i could anyway bc it's also quite complex)

Lcs and Karatine like this.
  2. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

I used to read books like a machine. Along with a few hard covers, I also had a paperback collection that exceeded 300 books. That collection is long gone. I live a very minimalist lifestyle these days.

It's hard for me to pick favorites, truly. I read them, live the story and then move on. That said, I have read and enjoyed a number of the classics, though Swiss Family Robinson left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Too much 'manifest destiny' attitude from the author, I suppose.

I've now seen a couple titles and authors mentioned here that I'll take a look at.

Lcs likes this.
  3. Alex K

Alex K Guest

I never quite understood the science behind my favorite book Green ham n eggs. Why would anyone wanna eat that?

Lcs likes this.
  4. Aurorans Solis

Aurorans Solis cum sol surrexit auroratque dies incepit

Favourite books? I've got some. I absolutely love hard sci-fi of almost all shapes and sizes, though a couple have stood out to me.

Dune (and the sequels) by Frank Herbert - The first book (Dune) is my favourite book of all so far. That being said, the sequels (of which there are five) are all extremely well-written, too.

Dan Simmons - writer of the Hyperion Cantos. Holy moley are those books good.

Robert L. Forward - this man wrote the first sci-fi novel I ever read: Dragon's Egg. I've gone on to read a number of other books from him including Starquake and The Flight of the Dragonfly (a modified version of Rocheworld, which I've been meaning to read). I've also got Camelot 30K up on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

And the last ones I can think of...
    The Into the Looking Glass series by John Ringo. This is my favourite series of all time (with Eragon coming in a close second). It's a futuristic military hard sci-fi series with four installments, all taking names from The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. Brilliant read (both the series [of course] and the poem).

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Asimov! You can never go wrong with a little Asimov.

Lcs likes this.
  5. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Still need to get to Dune. I've seen the adaptations and my sources suggest that the original is even more baroque and surreal, which is impressive.

Aurorans Solis and Lcs like this.
  6. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Anything by Douglas Adams and Kurt Vonnegut - lots of ingenious and humorous metafiction, I've never read anything like it before or since. "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" had possibly the strongest and most lasting influence on me of all books I've ever read in my life - maybe it's because I was really in the mood for this book at the time, maybe because it's that good (and it is really, really good), but I can boldly, non-hyperbolically claim it's my most favorite book ever.
    "Ring" by Koji Suzuki. As much as I like the 2002 movie based on it, this adaptation still doesn't give original book proper justice. I can't really talk about this one in details without spoiling too much, all I can say is while it will not scare you directly as movie version did, it will get under your skin in the long run - and even if you don't like horror genre that much, it'll still entertain you with an engaging and upredictable thriller story, so yeah, read this in any case, it's fantastic. Other books in the series aren't as great in general, but are still quite decent and readable, though they step away further from the whole "horror" thing and delve into "sci-fi thriller" territory, with third book being closer to "Matrix" and "Ghost In The Shell" than murderous long-haired girls.
    From series, Dark Tower by Stephen King - althrough later books decline in quality a bit, but "The Drawing of the Three" and "The Waste Lands" are great.
    From nonfiction, "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner, an insightful book on how id Software changed video game industry as we knew it. If you're an aspiring video game developer, this book is a must-read for you, and if not, this may be the book that will turn you into an aspiring video game developer c:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Aurorans Solis and Lcs like this.