Favourite Books?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics, and Graphic Novels' started by Lcs, Feb 6, 2017.

1. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Anything by Douglas Adams and Kurt Vonnegut - lots of ingenious and humorous metafiction, I've never read anything like it before or since. "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" had possibly the strongest and most lasting influence on me of all books I've ever read in my life - maybe it's because I was really in the mood for this book at the time, maybe because it's that good (and it is really, really good), but I can boldly, non-hyperbolically claim it's my most favorite book ever.
    "Ring" by Koji Suzuki. As much as I like the 2002 movie based on it, this adaptation still doesn't give original book proper justice. I can't really talk about this one in details without spoiling too much, all I can say is while it will not scare you directly as movie version did, it will get under your skin in the long run - and even if you don't like horror genre that much, it'll still entertain you with an engaging and upredictable thriller story, so yeah, read this in any case, it's fantastic. Other books in the series aren't as great in general, but are still quite decent and readable, though they step away further from the whole "horror" thing and delve into "sci-fi thriller" territory, with third book being closer to "Matrix" and "Ghost In The Shell" than murderous long-haired girls.
    From series, Dark Tower by Stephen King - althrough later books decline in quality a bit, but "The Drawing of the Three" and "The Waste Lands" are great.
    From nonfiction, "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner, an insightful book on how id Software changed video game industry as we knew it. If you're an aspiring video game developer, this book is a must-read for you, and if not, this may be the book that will turn you into an aspiring video game developer c:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Zenoth, Aurorans Solis and Lcs like this.
  2. fbgemini

fbgemini New Member

My favorite books:
    The Alchemist
    The little prince
    Socrates in Love (A wonderful japanese story about love)
    The Shadow Thief (Marc Levy)

Lcs likes this.
  3. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

The complete works of HP Lovecraft (got a huge book that contains all of it)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (fantastic read I highly recommend it)

Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky (even if the English translations can be kind of crap sometimes)

Grey Seer by C. L. Werner (my first exposure to Skaven)

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Most stuff by Edgar Allan Poe (yes I know shut up)

Also Iv heard The Dresden Files are good, and Iv been meaning to read them since they sound right up my alley.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Pipistrele and Lcs like this.
  4. Julen

Julen ✮ Banter Squad Member ✮

Probs The Longest Day by Ryan. Great historical book, and there's also a movie adaptation of the book, which is pretty nice too.

Lcs likes this.
  5. Fourtificial

Fourtificial A passable, still warm, tater tot.

If you're ok with a more modern novel, the book that captured my attention from start to finish was Scythe by Neal Shusterman. It qualifies as a YA fiction novel, but Neal Shusterman is one of the best YA authors I've ever read and it's really worth a look. It was the first book in years to emotionally invest me in the characters the way it did, but my god it caught me. Another recommendation from Neal Shusterman is the Unwind series of books and I'm currently reading his Everlost series of books, they have my stamps of approval.

Don't let the YA label run you off, they are brilliant and thought provoking and tackle dark subjects. Like Scythe is about humans in a world post mortality, and they still need death, so they have a group of people known as the Scythes that are there to cull the herd and keep humanity from causing overpopulation. Unwind is about America in a post modern civil war over abortion where a cruel agreement had been come to where parents are able to give up their children between the ages 13 to 18 so that their bodies could be undone and used for parts. The reasoning behind it being that the human's body is still very much alive, it's just being undone, and it becomes a tale of what happens to your soul if the pieces of your body are away from you. God I cannot recommend these books more.

Another good recommendation is anything by Ursula K. Le Guin. They're short stories, but they're beautifully done. I particularly recommend The Wife's Story and Vaster than Empires and More Slow. She has also written Tales of the Earthsea, which was unfortunately turned into a movie but came out far worse than the base product. But you can usually pretty reliably find pdfs of her work online for free so if you have the time it is definitely worth the look.

Lcs likes this.
  6. ebbingRose

ebbingRose Guest

I'm not sure if my favorites sufficiently qualify.
    I firstly have enjoyed stories by H. P. Lovecraft; such as the Statement of Randolph Carter, The Picture in the House, and Call of Cthulu. However, I would not qualify them as books due to their brief length; I would qualify them as accumulated collections of short stories. I should note these are horror stories lest someone read them and be disturbed. If you're looking to read them, I believe there is a collection book called "The Complete Works of H. P. Lovecraft".
    I also enjoy nonfiction. National Geographics, engineering textbooks, and books on psychology and of atomic nature (nuclear power, quantum mechanics (to understand the physics of an atom), radioactivity) particularly interest me.

Lcs and Alstren like this.
  7. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

Yup got said book right here or at least some version of it. I know not all of the stories are necessarily written by Lovecraft (like the Hounds Tindalos) but its still a fun collection.

ebbingRose and Lcs like this.
  8. ebbingRose

ebbingRose Guest

Yes! I'm hoping to get the book myself; I've only had the chance to read it at a library.

Lcs and Alstren like this.
  9. Liam The Red

Liam The Red "Dad" Fox

I like a lot of Robert Heinlein's work. ( fairly hard Science Fiction)
    Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonrider" series is good fun. (softer Science Fiction with fantasy elements)
    Ursula K LeGuin does some great stuff. (Fantasy)
    and...yes... the Redwall books.

Lcs, Alstren and Fourtificial like this.
  10. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

Omg I forgot that Redwall started out as a book series. *updates to read list*

Lcs likes this.
  11. Zenoth

Zenoth The average chipfox, doing chipfox stuff.

Fuzzy Dice, and Dante's Equation are both in my top favorite. That and The Never Ending Story, and Generation of Swine : Tails of decadence and decay in the american 1980s ^^

Lcs likes this.
  12. ebbingRose

ebbingRose Guest

Oh! I've read Redwall. Is there really more of those?

Lcs likes this.
  13. Liam The Red

Liam The Red "Dad" Fox

ebbingRose and Lcs like this.
  14. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Fellow Dark Tower fan c:

Also, as a native Russian speaker, I can assure you that Metro translations (at least the ones I've checked) are for the most part pretty damn good. The only thing that's really "lost in translation" is, well, the fact that it's very heavily based on Moscow Metro system, and it's kinda hard to get a full experience without ever being in Moscow Metro - actually visiting the location will explain a lot of things about the setting.

Lcs likes this.
  15. MsRavage

MsRavage Hello!

Pride and Prejudice, peaceful way of the warrior, dog sense, for the love of the dog....i need to read more books :(

Lcs likes this.
  16. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Been rereading the VanderMeers' landmark doorstopper of an anthology The Weird, and it's a damnably impressive book even if it's not 100% perfect.

Lcs likes this.
  17. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

Since making this thread I've read quite a few books, some of the ones mentioned in this thread included, so I now feel marginally less uncultured. >.< Some of the books I've enjoyed most that I've read recently: Blood Meridian, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, Eragon and The Da Vinci Code.

Also of note, I bought and partially read a very bad book called Moon People that someone jokingly suggested to me. At the time I didn't realise it was a joke because the book was next to many more serious suggestions, but I stopped reading the book pretty fast due to the weird grammar and numerous spelling mistakes. Nice meme though.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Jarren likes this.
  18. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

Another book I can recommend is Sozaboy. It's a work of fiction about a teenager living through the Nigerian civil war. Once you can get past the "rotten english" as the style is described, it's a very compelling story (and I think that the writing style, while somewhat jarring at first, adds to the atmosphere quite a bit). I first read it for a college english course, but I'm gonna pick it up again for another read sometime soon as it really stuck with me.

Lcs likes this.
  19. CreatureOfHabit

CreatureOfHabit The Bumbling Blind

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is pretty good, if you're a fan of steampunk or neo-victorian fantasy. It's got a sort of dream-like feel to it, which matches the story and characters. The Thackery T. Lambshead's Cabinet of Curiosities is also hella fun, being a collection of short stories of various styles by different authors based around these random photos and art pieces that were found in a fictitious hoarder's basement. You can get lost in the book for hours. Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams is just a chill but crazy LOTR-style romp through a cat's world that puts the Warriors series to shame, IMHO. I found it at random on the shelf of Half-Price Books one day and couldn't put it down.

Also check out pretty much anything by the author Isaac Asimov. He's the father of modern science fiction, after all, and contributed more than many people realize to science, language, and humanism. I'd recommend picking a series like Foundation or Robots and just start from the first book. Robots is a detective series that deals a lot with race, class, and the adaptation of society, while Foundation is a broader drama series about a dying empire and the people who saw it coming. Foundation's undertones are more related to religious belief, predetermination, and ever nature vs. nurture. If I'm not mistaken, Robots and Foundation take place in the same universe, with Robots occurring long, long before Foundation.

Lcs likes this.
  20. Finian Wren

Finian Wren Starring Dante from Devil May Cry™

• The Player of Games, Use of Weapons, Look to Windward, Excession (really, anything from the Culture series) - Iain M. Banks
    • Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
    • Treason - Orson Scott Card
    • Starfish - Peter Watts
    • Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Kafka on the Shore, The Windup Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
    • Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
    • The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
    • American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    • Filth - Irvine Welsh
    • A Scanner Darkly - Phillip K. Dick

Lcs likes this.
  21. Benthehornyhyena

Benthehornyhyena Too many stories, too little time

I don't really like reading, but there have been exceptions, my favorite book series is Skulduggery Pleasant, my favorite classical novel The Phantom of the Opera, and my favorite written play Cyrano de Bergerac.

Lcs likes this.
  22. ClinkertheLion

ClinkertheLion Coal dust and noisy things

The War of the Worlds by H.G.Wells is a personal favourite of mine. Classic science fiction. It being told in a survivor' accounts and perspective adds to the overall atmosphere of the book. Not to mention the interesting and infamous weaponry used by the invaders. Highly recommend to those that haven't read it.

23. annethecatdetective

annethecatdetective Detecting cats...

Favorites:
    -Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
    -The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin (ANYTHING by Le Guin is really good, btw, and she also wrote the most charming kids' book series that starts with 'Catwings')
    -Watership Down by Richard Adams

Lcs likes this.
  24. Denji

Denji Good scaleboye

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness/Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. It's not a hard book to read, but it just stuck with me and I have read all the 6 parts several times!

Lcs likes this.
  25. ellaerna

ellaerna Sass Master

I just finished reading Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys. It's an expansion of Lovecraftian lore, especially Shadows Over Innsmouth, that focuses on the cultists. It's kind of like Wicked in that regard, making the Deep Ones more relatable and sympathetic while not shying away from the horrors of the universe that Lovecraft created. I loved it and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has even a passing interest in that world.

Lcs likes this.