Firearm Owners In The Fandom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarren, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

The rifle issued to me in the USAF for Security Augmentee Duty was a '60's era piece that some poor b@stard probably carried "In Country" before it came back stateside with him. You could make out the word "Mattel" behind the heat shields inside the forarms and under the buttplate. The grip had no markings but I suspect it might have been made by Mattel, too.

All of my .22lr only builds are built on Nodak Spud slicksides as you described; no forward bolt assist and no fence. All triangle forends, smooth buttstocks. One is Mattel equipped, too.

2. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

Me personally, I don't like guns. The fact that they can kill you in such a short amount of time where you can't even react or notice what's going on bothers me. I get nervous around guns. If you own them, good for you. I'd only get one for self defense. Like if somebody broke into my house or somebody was putting my life in danger. That's the only reason I'd buy a gun.

3. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

I have an all-original Sears & Roebuck single shot 12-gauge shotgun. It's probably.. 70 years old? I inherited it from my biological grandfather when he died. My dad gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago. That thing is my BABY.

My partner has a Remington .22 rifle that was given as a birthday gift.

We plan on having many many more haha. I like big guns. My dad is giving me a bunch of SKS, old German Mauzers, a few muzzle loaders.. (No pun intended!)
    Gonna have an armory haha.

4. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

Guns don't inherently kill people. People kill people.
    My guns sitting in my bedroom haven't gotten a wild hair and attacked us in the middle of the night. And they're not gonna.
    Your best bet to calm your nervousness is to take some safety and training classes. Learn how to use, aim, clean, take care of a gun. That way, IF that situation ever arises that you have to use it, you're not shaking and thinking "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD I'M HOLDING A GUN" instead of "Hold steady, aim, inhale, hold breath, pull trigger, wait." In order to properly defend yourself, you need to take offensive actions to prepare yourself.

AustinB likes this.
  5. Lcs

Lcs Woof

Yes people kill people, but the most commonly used (at least in The States) and deadly weapon used for killing is a gun. I mean, have a look at the number of deaths and wounded from the school and mass shootings, it truly is sickening.

Honestly, if you live in an area where you need a gun for self-defence, then I would suggest you move to somewhere actually nice.

AustinB likes this.
  6. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

The problem is that a lot of people who live in those areas don't really have the option to move, sadly.
    Also, I was about to question your assertion of firearms being the most used tool (I honestly believed sharp and blunt weapons were slightly more commonly used), but I looked up the FBI stats and.... damn. Granted, firearms homicides are trending downward, which is nice, but that's true of homicides in general.

In other news, poisonings are making a comeback :p Up more than 100% from the previous count.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Zenoth likes this.
  7. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

But again, there's no reason to be afraid of the inanimate object unless it's being pointed AT you.
    As someone who has had both family members AND exes hold a gun to my head, guns do not make me nervous. My father, as well as the Navy, taught me how to handle a gun and how to handle MYSELF with a gun in my hand. Take some classes to assure yourself.

AustinB and Zenoth like this.
  8. Lcs

Lcs Woof

I would disagree with that. Guns are dangerous, so I think there is reason for people to be afraid of them. In countries that have less lenient gun laws, where the population see guns much less often, it makes even more sense. If someone (even if it was a family member or friend) actually pointed a gun at me, I would be scared.

Fair point, but supposedly most people that own guns are actually middle-income, so most of them should be able to move away from dangerous areas.

While it's true that firearm homicides are going down, it should also be mentioned that firearm ownership in general is also going down.

AustinB likes this.
  9. -Praydeth-

-Praydeth- The Trickster coyote.

Ahh a thread that is somewhat suitable for me to post pics of beautiful guns on.
    [​IMG]

AustinB, ReeseDobie and Jarren like this.
  10. Jarren

It should also be mentioned that firearm sales and manufacture have increased greatly as well. The people who want/need guns are buying more of them (guilty :p ), the public as a whole are less interested. However, keep in mind that this does not take into account private sales, which cannot be accurately documented.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    AustinB likes this.
  11. Lcs

Lcs Woof

From my understanding, the sales are primarily being bought by people that already own multiple guns. To elaborate on this, I recently read that 3% of all gun owners in America own about half of the guns. This meaning that there are people that own something like 18 guns each, so I would say that the increase in sales isn't particularly relevant for gun violence.

Jarren likes this.
  12. Jarren

Very true. I mostly bring it up because of a strange view I've seen expressed (not here, but elsewhere) that the "firearms industry is dying along with the demographic that supports it." It seems to be alive and well, despite everything and all the while the violence people seem to think is out of control is on the decline (along with most crime. It's almost like we're getting better at being nice to one another).
    There are a good number of people who buy firearms and then resell them because they either don't like the gun as much as they thought, have no use for it, or need/want cash. Those people can sell to another resident without any sort of paperwork or background check. Purchases/transfers from a dealer (FFL) or transactions involving NFA items are the only ones tracked. So, depending on how the data was gathered for the 3% owning >50% (Which I don't think is too far off the mark) there is likely a portion of the population who owns a firearm purchased this way who might not be counted in the ownership surveys and it could change the data a bit. Again though, we have no real way of knowing this statistic shy of self reporting, which would be a logistical nightmare in and of itself.

AustinB and Lcs like this.
  13. ReeseDobie

ReeseDobie Queen Dobie

A gun is not going to randomly go off. It's just not. Not without SOME sort of provocation. (Extreme heat, someone pulling a trigger..)
    If you were to come into my house right now, you'd never know I owned guns unless I told you. They don't make noise, they don't randomly "attack" people. There is nothing to be afraid of unless there's a person threatening you on the other side of the barrel.

AustinB and Zenoth like this.
  14. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

Got my first one the other day. Was about time.

Attached Files:

• gun.jpg
      gun.jpg
      File size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:
    Zenoth likes this.
  15. Kellan Meig'h

I'll make this point because it's an important one. Whenever I have sold a firearm, the transaction has always been done through a gun shop or a FFL holder. That way, the firearm serial number is no longer associated with me. Later on, should that piece be part of a homicide, the Po-Po isn't knocking on my door at three in the morning, arrest warrant in hand. Also, if that person ends up being unable to own a firearm for whatever reason, I'm not at fault and that person doesn't get a weapon that might later on get them in trouble with the police, BATF, etc.

Just sayin', since firearms theft by drug users is still an issue and those stolen arms are more than likely to end up in use by strong-arm robbers.

Jarren likes this.
  16. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

People who are afraid of home invasions, wouldn't a quality door and break-resistant windows suffice?

17. Lcs

Lcs Woof

Thing is, while you may trust others to use their weapon responsibly, I don't. Call me paranoid or whatever, but I'd rather not put my life in someone else's hands. Accidents happen all the time and even if unlikely to occur to me, I'm not interested in testing my luck.

Also, like I said earlier, some people aren't from America. Over here in the UK, most of our police don't even have guns and the citizens that do own guns primarily use them just for hunting. I've lived in The States in the past and so I'm familiar with the gun culture, but I can easily understand if others from my/another country get nervous at the thought of there being so many people with guns. Particularly since some of these gun owners may not have had the same training as you did.

AustinB and Sogreth like this.
  18. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

While we sit infront of our computers in a safe place where we have spent countless days. One must not forget that everyday we are alive, it is a gift. We live in a horrible harsh world. People's lives change in an instant whether or not they want it too. We as humans have a personal duty to ensure our own survival no matter the cost and we do this by being aware of our surroundings, by being prepared to fight or flee like is ingrained in our DNA, and if necessary, end the threat by any means nessescary. There is no shame in owning a firearm and we who do understand that there is a great responsibility given to us when we are given one. No matter what your thoughts are on the matter, we must accept that these tools will always be present in our lives whether or not we want them to be.

AustinB, Zenoth, Multoran and 2 others like this.
  19. Kellan Meig'h

Um, no. While there are ways to 'harden' your windows and doors, if they can open, they can be opened by force. There is a film that can be applied to your windows to keep them together but the window proper will come out of the frame eventually. Doors are bit more secure when a stop bolt has been installed in the floor but again, the door can eventually be defeated. This knowledge comes from experience. Even a good, solid core steel clad door will succumb to a good battering ram. They stole that dOOd's entire guitar collection, worth millions, while ADT tried to call the owner on vacation to see if it was a false alarm. They had roughly twenty minutes and one of my brethren probably passed their stolen U-Haul full of equipment on the way to the call.

If you can design it, it can be defeated. When I had meth heads break into my house, they kicked the door, steel frame and all out of the wall. They also walked right past an alarm keypad that was screaming holy hell because it had been activated by their intrusion.

It's a sad fact that some people, due to financial situations, cannot move away to a better place to live.

AustinB likes this.
  20. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

I don't actually own a gun yet, but I'd like to have a hand gun and maybe even a rifle one day.
    -
    While it's true that guns themselves are not responsible for murder, they certainly make murder a lot easier to commit. For that reason, they should be reasonably controlled, and not in such a way that prevents responsible, trained individuals from obtaining a means to defend themselves and their family.